
Amarillo's BEST Downtown Hotel? Four Points Sheraton Review!
Amarillo's Best Downtown Digs? My Rambling, Unfiltered Review of the Four Points by Sheraton!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to unleash a full-blown, slightly-obsessive review of the Four Points by Sheraton in downtown Amarillo. I just got back, and my brain is still buzzing. Trying to be objective? Forget about it. This is going to be more of a "what I felt" than a dry bullet-point rundown.
First Impressions & Getting There (Messed Up but Good):
So, pulling up to the Four Points, I was immediately impressed. It's a good-looking building, right in that up-and-coming downtown area. The location is gold; close to everything, and the promise of Amarillo's vibrant downtown life. I say "promise" because, honestly, downtown Amarillo is a work in progress. But hey, the hotel itself, the building exterior? Solid. Sleek.
Accessibility: A Solid Start (mostly) –
Okay, this is important to me. I need to know a place "gets" accessibility. The Four Points seems to, at least in theory. They say they have facilities for disabled guests, including things like elevators (phew!), accessible rooms, and, hopefully, the ability to not make someone who needs wheelchair assistance feel like a burden. The entrance seemed pretty easy, but I didn't stay in a designated accessible room, so I can't give it a full thumbs-up or down. But the initial impression? Good. They've thought about it.
Check-In – Smooth Sailing (Mostly):
The check-in process was a breeze. Fast, friendly, and efficient. I love a good, efficient check-in. The front desk staff were perfectly pleasant. No drama. No long lines. Nice and easy! It gave me that "Okay, this is going to be a good stay" vibe, you know? They also have the option for contactless check-in/out, which is a godsend in this current climate.
The Room – My Little Sanctuary (Mostly):
Now, the room. Oh, the room. I booked a non-smoking room (duh) and was immediately happy. Clean, spacious, and with all the standard comfy features. Free Wi-Fi? Yes, please! Finally a modern hotel! I mean, come on, it's 2024. Internet should be standard. Wi-fi signal strength good in the room. The bed was comfortable, and I crashed HARD every night. The blackout curtains? Glorious. Those things saved me. I have a hard time sleeping, and the darkness was incredible.
Here's the Breakdown, Room Feature by Room Feature, Because I'm Nuts:
- Air conditioning: Worked perfectly. A MUST in Texas.
- Alarm clock: It was there, I didn't use it. I'm a phone alarm person.
- Bathrobes: Nope, boo.
- Bathroom phone: No, I don't want that.
- Bathtub: There was one. I took a shower instead.
- Blackout curtains: GOLD.
- Carpeting: Clean, thankfully.
- Closet: Okay, enough space for my modest wardrobe.
- Coffee/tea maker: Standard! Huge bonus for that morning caffeine fix.
- Coffee/tea, Complimentary: There was, but it could have been better. Instant, basically. Not my favorite thing.
- Daily housekeeping: Yes! Cleaned and tidy space. Excellent!
- Desk: Fine. I worked from it.
- Extra long bed: Nope, standard size. Fine by me.
- Free bottled water: Included.
- Hair dryer: Yup, worked well.
- High floor: Nice view.
- In-room safe box: Meh. Didn't use it. I'm not hiding jewels.
- Internet access – LAN: Unavailable.
- Internet access – wireless: Excellent.
- Ironing facilities: Yep, iron and board, so if you need them.
- Laptop workspace: More than enough.
- Linens: Clean and fresh. No complaints.
- Mini bar: Not really. Just a mini-fridge.
- Mirror: Fine.
- Non-smoking: Duh.
- On-demand movies: Didn't use.
- Private bathroom: Excellent.
- Reading light: Good lighting, good for reading.
- Refrigerator: YES! Always a perk for me.
- Safety/security feature: Standard.
- Satellite/cable channels: Plenty of channels.
- Scale: No.
- Seating area: Just fine.
- Separate shower/bathtub: Not in my room.
- Shower: Good water pressure.
- Slippers: Nope.
- Smoke detector: Safety first!
- Socket near the bed: Essential these days.
- Sofa: Nope.
- Soundproofing: Mostly good.
- Telephone: Still there.
- Toiletries: Standard hotel stuff.
- Towels: Soft and fluffy.
- Umbrella: Well, I didn't need it.
- Visual alarm: Not that I saw any signs of it.
- Wake-up service: Never used it.
- Wi-Fi [free]: Wonderful.
- Window that opens: Nope.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – The Food is Definitely a Thing (sometimes):
Let's be honest: hotel restaurants are often a crapshoot. The Four Points has a restaurant, plus a bar and (thankfully) room service!
- Restaurants: The food was… fine. Nothing mind-blowing, but perfectly edible. Breakfast was buffet style, with the standard options. The buffet was included with my room which was a bonus!
- Bar: Good for a casual drink. The atmosphere was nice, and they had a decent selection.
- Happy hour: Yes!
- Room service (24-hour): HUGE win. I took advantage of this at 2 am one night after a long drive and that was everything. A lifesaver!
- Breakfast buffet: Included with my room. Usual food.
- Coffee/Tea. Good in the restaurant.
Cleanliness and Safety – Feeling Safe (Mostly):
- Anti-viral cleaning products: They say they use them.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Yes.
- Hand sanitizer: Available everywhere.
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: Good.
- Hygiene certification: I didn't see proof of it, but everything looked clean.
- Individually-wrapped food options: Standard.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: I saw it being followed.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax, and That Whole "Spa" Thing (or Lack Thereof):
Okay, so this is where things get a little less exciting. I'm not sure if the hotel had a spa or steamroom. I didn't see the information in the amenities. I don't think it did. Okay, for actual "relaxation," they do have a fitness center and a pool.
- Fitness center: Yes!
- Pool: YES. Outdoor, which was great, given the heat.
- Spa: Nope.
Other Services and Conveniences – The Little Things:
- Air conditioning in public area: Yes!
- Cash withdrawal: You can.
- Concierge: I didn't need one.
- Convenience store: Not that I could see.
- Currency exchange: Nope.
- Daily housekeeping: Yes, and excellent.
- Dry cleaning, Ironing service, Laundry service: There are.
- Elevator: Yes!
- Facilities for disabled guests: Yes!
- Luggage storage: Fine.
- Non-smoking rooms: Yes!
- Safety deposit boxes: They have them.
For the Kids:
- Family/child friendly: It seemed to be.
- Kids meal: I didn't see a kids menu, but maybe they offer it.
- Babysitting service: None.
Getting Around:
- Airport transfer: None.
- Car park [free of charge]: Yes!
- Taxi service: Yes!
Staff – Mixed Bag:
The staff members I interacted with were, for the most part, very friendly and helpful. Some were absolute stars.
The Verdict: Worth It? YES!
Would I stay at the Four Points by Sheraton in Amarillo again? Absolutely. Great location, good rooms, and pretty decent amenities. It’s not perfect, but it's a solid pick for a comfortable stay. The room
Houston's Hidden Gem: Days Inn & Suites Aldine - Unbeatable Value!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your average, sterile travel itinerary. This is my survival guide to the Four Points by Sheraton in Amarillo, TX… and trust me, I needed one.
Day 1: Arrival and the Lone Star State's Embrace (Maybe a Headlock?)
- 1:00 PM: Touchdown at Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport (AMA). Airport? More like a giant, slightly dusty welcome mat. Seriously, the plane trip was the most exciting thing about it and I didn't even hit turbulence (boo). I'm already starting to feel that vast, Texas emptiness.
- 1:45 PM: Rental car pickup. This is where my meticulously planned itinerary starts to…well, it gets a little wonky. I chose a giant SUV "for safety". Safety from WHAT, exactly? Amarillo tumbleweeds? Okay, maybe I'm being dramatic. Mostly, I'm just a terrible driver and wanted something I wouldn't immediately curb-check.
- 2:30 PM: Check-in at the Four Points by Sheraton. Okay, truth bomb: I'm already judging. The lobby feels…beige. Beige and slightly sad, like a rejected episode of The Golden Girls. The front desk person is friendly enough, bless her heart, but I can already envision the blandness of the hotel's soul. They have a pool, though, and that's a point in their favor. I'm picturing myself needing it to relieve my stress in the next few hours.
- 3:00 PM: Room recon! Okay, the room… it's…a room. Clean enough, I guess. The bed looks like it's seen better days but also looks like a cloud, I'm hoping for the cloud. The bathroom? Basic. The view? Of another building. My expectations weren't sky-high, and they've been met. I'll give it that.
- 4:00 PM: A quest for snacks. Hotel vending machines are the pinnacle of despair in the travel world. I’m making a run to a local grocery store for provisions. Chips, salsa (extra spicy, for emotional support), and maybe a family-sized bag of M&Ms. Self-medication is the name of the game, people.
- 5:00 PM: The Sunset Room. This is a restaurant in the hotel, and yes, I am going to it. Wish me luck because I have a feeling my night will be a combination of quiet desperation and mild disappointment. I'm really hoping for a Texas-sized margarita to help wash down the meal… and my existential dread.
- 7:30 PM: The Sunset Room, Pt. 2. I'm back in my room, defeated but full (and also, strangely, a little buzzed). The food was…fine. The margarita, however, was an experience. Strong. Like, "I can't remember how I got here"-level strong. I'm pretty sure I told the waiter my life story. Oh, the shame. At least it made the beige room seem less…beige.
- 9:00 PM: Attempt at sleep.
Day 2: Cadillac Ranch and the Vastness of…Well, Everything
- 7:00 AM: Wake up. The bed was indeed a cloud. Surprisingly restful night, fueled by questionable decisions and a potent margarita. This is either going to be a good day or a spectacular train wreck.
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast, which I promptly skipped - for the simple reason that the breakfast bar at the hotel looked depressing. I'm not sure if I can even get a good breakfast from the hotel. I should just go to a diner, I think….
- 9:00 AM: A pilgrimage to Cadillac Ranch. Okay, this is pretty cool, even if it's just a bunch of graffiti-covered, half-buried Cadillacs. It's so Texas. So uniquely bonkers. I take a can of spray paint with me because why the hell not? A bunch of other "artists" are present and the air is thick with the smell of aerosol and dreams. I tag a car, channeling my inner rebel (which, let's be honest, is pretty pathetic).
- 10:30 AM: The Big Texan Steak Ranch. Alright, this is my thing. The 72-ounce steak challenge. It's a clichĂ©, I know, but I must TRY. I'm not sure if I can do it, but dammit, I'm going to give it my best shot. The place is pure Texas kitsch – the decor screams cowboy chic, the staff are friendly and the atmosphere is charged with both anticipation and the scent of sizzling meat.
- 10:45 AM: The Challenge. The steak arrives. It's HUGE. Like, the size of a small child. I'm intimidated. I dig in anyway. And then, I eat. And eat. And eat. I try, I really do. I’m sweating. I'm panting. I feel like I could die. The crowd cheers. The pressure is on. I even took a picture of the steak before I started eating it. I wanted to cherish the moment before it was gone.
- 11:00 AM: I make it to the halfway mark! A victory! I'm full, but I'm so close to defeating the challenge. I take a picture of the steak, I feel so much pride and joy.
- 11:30 AM: Defeat. I tap out. The shame! The agony! The meat sweats! I hate myself. I fail.
- 12:00 PM: I swear, I'll come back another day and win.
- 1:00 PM: An epic nap. (After the Big Texan, you NEED a nap.)
- 3:00 PM: Check out the local shops, and maybe find a souvenir or two to help me reflect on my stay.
- 4:00 PM: Back to the hotel.
Day 3: Farewell, Amarillo (and My Sanity)
- 8:00 AM: Check out of the hotel. No, I didn't get to eat the hotel breakfast again. I'm just going to leave it behind and act like it never existed. I already can't wait to leave.
- 9:00 AM: Depart from Amarillo International Airport. The end.
Postscript:
Amarillo, you were… an experience. The Four Points by Sheraton? Well, you were a clean place to sleep after you've been to a restaurant. I'm gonna miss the people, they were great, and the food, which was surprisingly good. But you know what? I'm also ready to go home. Back to my messy life. Back to my comfort zone and, oh God, to my own bed. Maybe next time I'll conquer that steak. Maybe. Probably not.
Escape to Barstow: Your Perfect Travelodge Getaway Awaits!
Amarillo's Downtown Oasis: Four Points by Sheraton - The REAL Lowdown!
Is this place *actually* the best in Downtown Amarillo? My expectations are…well, you know…Texas.
What about the rooms? Are they…clean? Because, you know, bed bugs are a thing. And I'm a worrier.
The location. Is it actually *in* downtown? And is downtown Amarillo worth being "in?"
The Pool and Gym - Are they worth it?
Food situation? Breakfast? Dinner? Anything edible?
Parking? Is it a disaster? That downtown parking scene... it can be a nightmare.
Okay, spill the tea. What's the *worst* thing about this hotel? Be honest!
So, should I stay there? Give it to me straight.
Anything REALLY stand out, good or bad?


Post a Comment for "Amarillo's BEST Downtown Hotel? Four Points Sheraton Review!"