
Lake Forest Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Holiday Inn Express!
Lake Forest Getaway: Holiday Inn Express - Honestly, It's Not That Bad (And Sometimes, Surprisingly Great!)
(SEO Keywords: Lake Forest, Holiday Inn Express, Hotel Review, Accessibility, Wheelchair Accessible, Free Wi-Fi, Spa, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Cleanliness, Family Friendly, Deals, Illinois, Travel, Staycation)
Okay, folks, let's be real. When you hear "Holiday Inn Express," you're probably not expecting the Ritz. But hey, sometimes you're surprised, right? And with the "Unbeatable Deals" plastered all over their website, I figured, why not give this Lake Forest location a shot? Spoiler alert: it's a mixed bag. Like a bag of chips that's somehow both stale and greasy – you know, the experience of a hotel, in a nutshell.
First Impressions: Is This Place…Accessible? (Mostly, Which is Awesome!)
So, first off, Accessibility. Huge points here. I'm talking Wheelchair Accessible, baby! Ramps everywhere, wide hallways, and I actually saw some accessible rooms (though I didn't stay in one). The elevators are easily navigable, which is crucial. They’ve even got Facilities for disabled guests listed, which felt genuinely thoughtful. Now, I can't personally attest to every detail, but from my observation, this place is doing a solid job of making itself accessible. Consider it a major win.
The Wi-Fi Saga: Free Wi-Fi in All Rooms! (Praise the Internet Gods!)
Internet, Internet [LAN], and Internet services, let's be honest, are vital in today's world. And yes, YES! Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Hallelujah! The connection was…mostly reliable. I’m a digital nomad, and this is crucial. There were a few moments where I was staring at the loading symbol, gritting my teeth, but mostly, it held up. Wi-Fi in public areas, too, which is a bonus. And I'll be honest, the fact they offer Internet access – LAN in the rooms is kinda charmingly old-school. Like a relic from the dial-up era, but bless.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Spa Dreams (Maybe Not?) and Fitness Frenzy
Alright, let's dive into the "relax" portion. Supposedly they have Things to do, ways to relax – and the list on the website looked promising enough to reel me in. They boast a Fitness center, a Swimming pool [outdoor] (closed during my visit! Boo!) and a Spa. SPA! I imagined maybe some Body scrub, Body wrap, Massage, the works.
Here comes the reality check: The "spa" consisted of… a small room with a massage table. The massage wasn't exactly a transformative experience, but it was nice enough to get the knots worked out, even if I'm pretty sure the therapist was also the front desk clerk and the breakfast buffet attendant. The Fitness center was… functional. Weights, treadmills, the usual. It got the job done, but don't expect cutting-edge equipment. No Pool with view, no Sauna, no Steamroom – the online description was overselling it!
Cleanliness and Safety: Sanitizing…or Sanitizing-ish?
This is where things get interesting. In the post-pandemic world, everyone's hyper-aware of Cleanliness and safety. They claim to use Anti-viral cleaning products and offer Professional-grade sanitizing services. The website boasts of Room sanitization opt-out available and that Rooms sanitized between stays. The claim is that they have Daily disinfection in common areas. I saw Hand sanitizer everywhere, and the staff was always masked.
The staff, bless their hearts, were trying. The surfaces seemed clean, but I still felt a little bit of that "hotel air" – you know, that slightly stale, vaguely antiseptic scent. They also had Safe dining setup in the breakfast area. All this is probably a good thing, but it's hard to say how much of this is actual deep-down clean or just appearances.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Breakfast (Buffet, Baby!) and Coffee
Okay, the breakfast situation was…well, it was a Breakfast [buffet]. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was functional. Asian breakfast was an option, but I steered clear. The idea of Asian breakfast at a Holiday Inn Express felt… risky. But the regular options were there - The usual Western breakfast. Coffee/tea in restaurant, again, the basics. The fact that they have a Snack bar is good, I guess, but not particularly inspiring.
The restaurant itself was a little sad. It was like a forgotten corner of the lobby. Food was average, service was a little slow. A la carte in restaurant they said, but it was hard to tell what else was on the menu besides the "specials" of the day.
Services and Conveniences: The Perks (And the Lack Thereof)
They have Air conditioning in public area, Business facilities, Concierge, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities. Standard stuff, really. The Concierge was super helpful with directions, even though I got lost, like, three times. They have a Gift/souvenir shop which, let's be real, is kinda cheesy but always tempting.
For the Kids: Family-Friendly…ish
The website says the hotel is Family/child friendly, and I saw some kids running around. They have Kids meal, which is a plus. No dedicated play area or anything, but it seems like a decent option for a family stopover.
In the Room: The Usual Suspects
The rooms themselves were… well, they were what you'd expect. Air conditioning worked. The Bed was comfortable enough. Blackout curtains were a lifesaver. Free bottled water, yay! They have Coffee/tea maker, which is essential for me. I’m not sure exactly how many Non-smoking rooms there are, but there was no smoke smell in my room which was good. The TV had Satellite/cable channels so, I was able to watch the news, or whatever.
Getting Around: Easy Access
Airport transfer – I didn’t use it but it was offered. The car park was free of charge, and there were plenty of spaces.
The Imperfect, Human Experience
Honestly, the Holiday Inn Express Lake Forest isn't going to win any awards for luxury. But you know what? It's decent. It's clean-ish, it's functional, and it's clearly trying to do the right thing. The accessibility is a huge win, and the free Wi-Fi is a lifesaver.
The breakfast is… breakfast. The spa is… well, it could be better. The overall experience is a bit like a slightly worn-out, but still-reliable, pair of jeans.
It's not perfect. I had a moment where the TV refused to turn on, and I had to call the front desk. It was a bit of a hassle, but the nice guy at the desk fixed it on the spot. Stuff happens. That’s part of the charm of a hotel, especially one that is trying to be everything to everyone.
So, would I recommend it? If you're looking for a budget-friendly, accessible, and reasonably comfortable stay in Lake Forest, and if the online deals are genuinely "unbeatable," then yeah, absolutely. Just don't expect miracles, and you'll probably leave feeling… pleasantly surprised.
Coeur d'Alene Getaway: Unbeatable La Quinta Inn & Suites Deal!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because you're about to get a real glimpse into what a "relaxing" stay at the Holiday Inn Express Lake Forest, CA, actually feels like. Forget those pristine, overly-optimistic itineraries. This is my truth, warts and all.
Day 1: Arrival, Mild Disappointment, and the Quest for Coffee That Doesn't Taste Like Dishwater
1:00 PM: Check-in. (Or, the Moment My Optimism Begins to Crinkle) Okay, so the front desk lady smiled. Progress! But the lobby… it’s got that specific, slightly stale air that all Holiday Inn Expresses seem to have mastered. You know, the one that smells vaguely of chlorine and desperation. My room? Standard. Perfectly functional. A beige wasteland, really. Except, the remote's already giving me attitude. Already. This trip is going to be fun.
1:30 PM: The Coffee Crisis. My biggest fear: the coffee. It's the key to all good things. And, oh dear God, the coffee. It tasted like it had been brewed in a boot. I considered calling down to complain, but then I thought of the effort. Instead, I powered through, muttering, "It's fine. It's fine." (Spoiler: It wasn't.) Went back down to the lobby for a different cup and it was the same, I did see a guy at the breakfast cafe making a really bad cup of coffee too.
2:00 PM: Poolside Ambivalence. The pool! A beacon of hope! Except… it’s smaller than it looked in the photos. And there's a family with a toddler who seems to be using the pool as a personal bathtub. This is when I start thinking, "Maybe I should have stayed home and cleaned the toilet."
4:00 PM: Grocery Store Run and the Elusive "Comfort Food." Armed with a list that reads more like a cry for help ("Cheesy chips! Ice cream! Something, anything, that doesn't require effort!"), I head to the nearest grocery store. The aisles blur. The options overwhelm. I emerge, triumphant, with a bag of Doritos, a pint of Ben & Jerry’s, and a profound sense of accomplishment. This, my friends, is self-care.
6:00 PM: Dinner at… (Sigh)… Applebee's. Look, I tried to be adventurous. I looked up "local gems" on Yelp! But the reviews were… uninspiring. So, Applebee's it is. It's… predictably Applebee's. The waitress is nice, though, and the margaritas are surprisingly strong. I realize, midway through my chicken tenders, that I'm just grateful to be somewhere other than my beige room.
8:00 PM: Netflix and Existential Dread. I retreat back to my room. The remote’s still giving me sass, but finally have it work. I start a mindless Netflix binge, and the existential dread starts creeping in. Am I living? Am I just… existing? The Doritos provide a temporary distraction. Then, I finally decide to go to bed early, but I cannot sleep well.
Day 2: The Pursuit of Happiness (and a Decent Breakfast) and a Bad Encounter with The Gym
7:00 AM: Breakfast… Again. The coffee, still a crime against humanity. But! They have those pre-made omelet things, so I can't complain much. The breakfast area has an unholy alliance of business travelers and families from the Midwest, all with a determined glint in their eyes. I can feel myself getting older with every bite.
8:00 AM: The Gym! (Or, the Scene of My Humiliation) I, with my best intentions and a new workout outfit, hit up the gym. It is the size of a closet. The treadmill is occupied. The only free weights are in the corner. I manage a pathetic five minutes on the elliptical before deciding I’m “busy.” And then I decide it's best to skip the workout and go back to my room.
9:00 AM: A Morning Stroll… That Didn't End Well. Ok, I went out again. There's a walking trail near the hotel! Huzzah! Except, it's hotter than I expected. The air is thick with that specific Southern California pollen that makes you feel like you're permanently stuffed up. I'm also wearing the wrong shoes, the trail has tons of hills, and I realize I haven't actually brought any water. I turn back after 15 minutes, dripping sweat and questioning all my life choices.
11:00 AM: The Quest for Good Food Continues. Okay, I try to look up "local gems" again. There's a place that gets good reviews! Is it safe? We'll see. I decide that if I love it I'll need to bring my friends here. I am getting excited about this food!
12:00 PM: Lunch at a local deli. Awesome! This place is good! I try a new type of sandwich. I loved it!
1:00 PM: A Deep Breath, and Maybe Some Shopping. I'm going to go shopping in the nearby shopping centers
3:00 PM: Relaxing. I just chill.
6:00 PM: Dinner. I might go out again. I'm not sure yet.
8:00 PM: Bedtime. I watch a movie. This time is better.
Day 3: Departure and the Lingering Smell of Chlorine
7:00 AM: "Breakfast," the Sequel. Same coffee, same existential dread, slightly less enthusiasm. I think I have a headache.
8:00 AM: Packing and the Bitter Taste of Reality. The vacation is almost over. I look longingly at the half-eaten Doritos bag. Do I even want to unpack? This is where the "emotional baggage" really starts piling up.
9:00 AM: One Last, Desperate Attempt at the Pool. Maybe, maybe, it won’t be as crowded. It's still small. The toddler is still bathing. I get in anyway.
10:00 AM: Check-out and the Sweet Release of Freedom. I hand in my key, a faint, lingering scent of chlorine clinging to me. I made it. I survived.
10:30 AM: On the Road (and Reflecting). Driving away, I think… Did I have fun? Kinda. Was it relaxing?… Well, no. But it was an experience. I'll probably book a trip here again.
So there you have it. A messy, imperfect, and hopefully relatable glimpse into my stay at the Holiday Inn Express Lake Forest. It wasn't perfect. It wasn't Instagram-worthy. But it was real. And sometimes, that's enough. Go forth, dear traveler, and embrace the chaos! And for the love of all that is holy, bring your own coffee.
Escape to Comfort: Days Inn Near City of Hope (Duarte, CA)
Lake Forest Getaway: Holiday Inn Express FAQs (Because, Let's Be Real, You Have Questions)
Okay, spill. Is this REALLY a good deal at the Holiday Inn Express in Lake Forest? Like, REALLY? I've been burned before...
Alright, fine. Let's be honest. "Good deal" is subjective, right? My last "good deal" involved a questionable hot dog from a gas station and a near-miss with a rogue shopping cart. This Holiday Inn Express? It's… pretty good. Think of it this way: For the price, you're getting a clean, comfy bed (and thank heavens for that, because sleep-deprived me is a *nightmare*), complimentary breakfast (hello, instant oatmeal!), and a pool. A POOL! Kids will love it. I went in with zero expectations. (Seriously. I'm a cynic by trade. Blame the aforementioned hot dog incident.) But then I got there, and it wasn't a gritty, depressing experience like some budget motels. The lobby was surprisingly bright. The staff? Actually friendly. So, yeah. For the money? Worth it. But don't expect the Ritz. Think… comfortable, not opulent. You get what you pay for, and in this case, you pay for something genuinely decent.
The free breakfast… real free breakfast, or the sad, sad kind?
Oh, the breakfast. Okay, so here's the deal. It's *definitely* not a gourmet buffet. But it's also not the kind of “free” that makes you want to weep. There’s usually instant oatmeal (I’ll be honest, I *love* instant oatmeal – sue me!), pre-packaged pastries (they’re…fine), some kind of scrambled eggs (suspect, yet edible), and maybe even a waffle maker! (That's the Golden Ticket, people. Waffle maker is king.) Coffee's standard motel coffee, which means lukewarm and vaguely tasting of sadness, but caffeine is caffeine. And the fruit? Eh. Rely on the waffles and a healthy dose of self-delusion. It's a fueling station, not a culinary experience. Consider it a win if you avoid the dreaded 'hard-boiled egg that's been there for a week' situation. I've seen things, man. Breakfast is always a gamble.
The pool. Is it...clean-ish? My kids are germaphobes... (and secretly, so am I).
Alright, the pool situation. Let's talk. Clean-ish is the appropriate term here. I mean, I didn't see any floaty… y'know… *things*. I didn’t personally test the water for every germ known to humankind, but it *looked* relatively clean. The kids? They splashed around, squealed, and seemed remarkably unbothered. I’d say that’s a win. There's usually some chlorine smell (as there should be!) and the surrounding area... well, it's seen some wet feet. Bring your own pool shoes, because I guarantee you will NOT want to go barefoot. Also, if you're a serious pool aficionado, maybe this isn't up to your standards. But for a quick dip and some kid fun? It gets the job done. And if you're lucky, you might even get a spot of sunshine. I'm just saying. Sunshine is rare commodity in my life.
What about the location? Is it near anything cool? Or am I stuck in beige purgatory?
Location, location, location! This is where this Holiday Inn Express actually shines. Lake Forest? It's got things. I love this part! The hotel is surprisingly close to stuff! Okay, so "cool" is relative. It's not *Times Square*, darling (thank God). But: It's in a decent area -- a little shopping, some restaurants (anything you can stomach after the breakfast, really), and a few places to wander. There's often a *thing* happening; check the local events listings. I did that once, ended up at a bizarre outdoor movie screening. It rained. It was chaotic. It was… memorable. That sums up my life, actually. Check the hotel's website for details. They're usually pretty good at providing nearby attractions. It's no beige purgatory, I promise. Though, let's be honest, I kind of enjoy the beige. It's low-key. Peaceful.
Rooms… are they… clean? And do they have enough outlets for all my devices? (Important question.)
Okay, the rooms. This is where things get important. Yes, they're generally clean. I mean, I've never found anything *truly* alarming. The bedsheets? No questionable stains, thank heavens. The bathroom? Functional, with hot water (always a win!). The towels? They're… towely. Not the fluffy, luxurious kind, but they get the job done. Now, the outlets. This is the million-dollar question for the modern traveler, isn't it? Yes, there are outlets. Probably not *enough* outlets for the modern tech overload, but definitely enough to get you through a night. Bring a power strip if you're packing all the technology. I recently went through a phase where I thought ALL my chargers were lost. PANIC. Then I found them all. I'm a creature of habit, apparently. Check the room carefully when you arrive, just in case. Sometimes, there are hidden gems (like a working USB port!). And remember, a dead phone is a tragic thing. Prioritize those charges!
I'm traveling with kids. What's the kid situation like?
Kids. Ah, the joyful chaos. The Holiday Inn Express is definitely kid-friendly. You generally get a mix of families: families and families. Kids are everywhere. Crying at breakfast, splashing in the pool, running in the hallways. It's part of the charm (or a source of immense stress, depending on your mood). Bring earplugs, just in case. No, really. Kids are resilient, they’ll love the pool. They’ll be *fine* with the waffles (or, at the very least, they'll eat them). The staff are generally patient, even when the kids are, you know, *being kids.* There's not a designated kids' area, which can be a pro or a con, depending on your perspective. If your kids are used to hotels, they’ll be fine here. I mean, the pool is like kid heaven. Just bring the usual: snacks, entertainment, and a healthy dose of patience (both for your kids and for the other parents around you). The most important thing is to remember to lower your expectations.
Okay, so what are the downsides? What’s *really* bad about this place?
Alright, the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. It's not perfect. The biggest potential drawback? It's a Holiday Inn Express. It's not the Four Seasons. Sometimes, the noise level can be a problem, especially on weekends. The soundproofing isn't amazing, so if you have light sleep, bring earplugs (told you!). The breakfast area can get crowded at peak timesHotel Blog Guru


Post a Comment for "Lake Forest Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Holiday Inn Express!"