
Uncover the Secrets of Poseidon's Kingdom: Possidonea 28, Reggio Calabria
Uncover the Secrets of Poseidon's Kingdom: Possidonea 28, Reggio Calabria - A Messy, Honest, and (Hopefully) Helpful Review
Alright folks, buckle up, because we're diving deep into the salty waters of Possidonea 28 in Reggio Calabria. This review isn't going to be a sterile, robotic recitation of facts. Consider this more like a rambling, caffeinated conversation with someone who just lived the experience. I'll try to cover everything, but apologies in advance if I get lost in a tangent about the perfect espresso. (Spoiler: Italy, generally, gets espresso right.)
SEO & Metadata Stuff (Gotta Play the Game):
- Keywords: Possidonea 28, Reggio Calabria, hotel review, Italy, spa, swimming pool, accessibility, restaurant, Wi-Fi, family friendly, beachfront, Calabria, Poseidon's Kingdom, luxury hotel, Italian vacation.
- Description: A brutally honest and detailed review of Possidonea 28 in Reggio Calabria, covering everything from Wi-Fi woes to the bliss of the spa, with a healthy dose of Italian charm (and occasional frustration!). Prepare for a personal, unfiltered take on this hotel experience.
Accessibility: Not Quite Smooth Sailing…
Okay, let's be real, accessibility is always a crucial first hurdle. While Possidonea 28 mentions "Facilities for disabled guests," I didn't personally experience them, so I can't give a definitive "thumbs up" or "thumbs down." My advice? Contact the hotel directly and get SPECIFIC details. Don't just take a vague promise at face value. Find out about ramp gradients, elevator sizes, accessible rooms, and bathroom specifics. This is crucial for a comfortable stay. And, frankly, if you rely on this, I'm giving you the heads-up, call them beforehand.
On-site Accessible Restaurants / Lounges: I can't say for sure, but based on the public areas I saw, I'd advise asking them to confirm. The hotel layout seems potentially tricky for someone with mobility issues.
Internet: The Wi-Fi Whisperer (and Its Struggles)
"Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" the website trumpets. And it's true, mostly. But there were moments, oh, moments, when I swear the Wi-Fi was actively trying to sabotage my productivity. Days I had to get important stuff done (like, you know, reviews!), it would buckle, cough, and then promptly disappear. I ended up spending a lot of time with my phone on a hotspot, which, frankly, is not ideal. This might just be a minor complaint, but let's be real, it made me seriously testy a few times. My advice: Be prepared for potential connectivity hiccups. Download your important stuff before you arrive. If you really need rock-solid internet, consider bringing your own mobile Wi-Fi. Now, the Internet [LAN] wasn't something I tried, but maybe that was a solution I overlooked.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax: Spa-tacular! (Mostly)
The spa… Ah, the spa. This is where Possidonea 28 truly shines. I'm a sucker for a good spa, and this one delivered (mostly).
- Body Scrub, Body Wrap: Both were delightful. The body scrub was wonderfully invigorating, and the body wrap left me feeling like a newborn (or, less dramatically, a very hydrated adult). A total win.
- Fitness Center: Meh. It was there, it had treadmills and weights, but felt a bit…clinical. I'd rather be strolling Reggio's Corso, but hey, if you're a serious gym rat, it's an option.
- Foot Bath: A nice little touch. Relaxing after a long day of walking.
- Gym/fitness: See Fitness Center above.
- Massage: Excellent. My masseuse was skilled and intuitive. I recommend.
- Pool with View: The outdoor pool is stunning. The view? Breathtaking. Sipping a cocktail by the pool while gazing at the sea? Pure, unadulterated bliss. And I could see it from the sauna!
- Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom: All top-notch. Steaming your way into a new you? Yes, please.
- Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]: The outdoor pool and I became fast friends. Sunbathing, swimming, the pool bar… what's not to love?
The Spa: A Deeper Dive
Okay, I need to gush about the spa a little more. It's not just about the treatments. It's about the vibe. The soft music, the calming scents, the feeling of utter relaxation that washes over you the moment you enter. It's a true escape. The staff were friendly and professional. I had a slightly awkward moment trying to explain what I needed (my Italian is… developing), but they handled it with grace. I emerged from my treatments feeling lighter, happier, and ready to take on the world (or at least, take on another plate of pasta). My only gripe? It could probably benefit from more options. The overall quality, however, was fantastic.
Cleanliness and Safety: Pandemic Protocols (Mostly) Observed
Let's address the elephant in the room: COVID-19. Possidonea 28 seemed to be taking things seriously.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Tick.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Tick.
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere.
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: Tick.
- Hygiene certification: I didn't spot any specific certifications, but I saw evidence of implemented protocols.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Tick. However, this is more of a personal observation.
- Safe dining setup: Tick (more on that later).
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Tick.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Seemed like it.
- Sterilizing equipment: I assume they have them.
I felt relatively safe, but of course, you should make your own judgment. The key takeaway: They appear to be making an effort, but it's still up to you to take precautions. I think the main thing is to remember your own well-being.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Adventure (with a few bumps!)
Italian food…need I say more?
- A la carte in restaurant: Available and mostly great.
- Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant: I did not partake, but it was mentioned!
- Bar: Good cocktails, nice atmosphere.
- Breakfast [buffet]: This one earned mixed feelings. The spread was good, but felt a bit repetitive after a few days. Still, fresh fruit, pastries, and all the coffee you could drink make it a decent way to start the day.
- Buffet in restaurant: See Breakfast.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop: Excellent. I take back what I said about only Italy getting espresso right. They were consistent, and delicious.
- Desserts in restaurant: The desserts were divine. I may or may not have eaten more than my fair share. No regrets. Worth it.
- Happy hour: Yes, and sometimes it was truly happy! The drinks were well-made, and the appetizers were tasty.
- International cuisine in restaurant: Some variety, but stick to the Italian, you won’t regret it.
- Poolside bar: Perfect for a pre-dinner Aperol spritz. (This is non-negotiable in Italy.)
- Restaurants: Several options, all generally good.
- Room service [24-hour]: Convenient, especially after a long day of sightseeing.
- Snack bar: Handy for a quick bite.
- Vegetarian restaurant: Not specifically, though vegetarian options were available.
- Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: You expect a Western breakfast when you are used to the European one.
The Food Story: A Love Letter to Pasta (and a few gripes)
Look, this is Italy. You expect the food to be good. And for the most part, it was. The pasta dishes were consistently amazing. Freshly made, perfectly cooked, and bursting with flavor. The seafood was also incredibly fresh.
But here's where I get nitpicky (and frankly, a little hangry): the service in the main restaurant was sometimes…slow. Like, "watching-the-table-across-from-you-get-their-food-while-you're-still-waiting-for-water" slow. It wasn't every time, but it happened often enough to be a bit frustrating. Also, there were times, especially during breakfast, when the buffet was a bit disorganized. It got crowded, people were reaching across each other, and it felt a bit chaotic. I'm not saying it ruined the experience, but it definitely could be improved.
Services and Conveniences: A Mixed Bag
- Air conditioning in public area: Yes. Necessary.
- Cash withdrawal: Available.

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving – HEADFIRST – into Possidonea, that little slice of Italian… what now?… actually Reggio Calabria! And believe me, after this trip, I'll know a thing or two about sunshine, gelato, and potential existential crises fueled by too much espresso. Ready for the ride? Let's get messy.
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Pizza-Off (aka, Jet Lag vs. Deliciousness)
- Morning (ish): Ugh, the flight. Seriously, give me a break. Planes… bleh. Anyway, finally, finally landed in Reggio Calabria. The air, though? Chef's kiss. Immediately, warm, citrusy, and promising… no, demanding… I get myself some Italian sunshine on my skin. Found a perfectly imperfect little B&B, "Casa Dolce Vita" (Sweet Life House), which, ironically, felt anything but sweet after that brutal red-eye. The welcome was a bit… Italian. Lots of hand gestures, a flurry of rapid-fire Neapolitan, and me, just standing there, slightly bewildered, clutching my passport like a life raft. The lovely Signora, bless her heart, seemed to understand my blank stare. She handed me an espresso that could wake the dead.
- Afternoon: The mission? Find pizza. This is a serious, life-or-death imperative. I’d read online about a place called "Pizzeria Regina" (seriously, why are all the places named that?!) and decided it was my destiny. Of course, getting there involved getting hopelessly, wonderfully lost in the narrow, sun-drenched streets. This happened, literally, on my first turn. No, no, I did not end up near the place. Ended up somewhere else instead, and ended up, also, buying an artisan made ice-cream somewhere else. That felt good.
- Evening: Pizza. Regina, at last! And… it was… perfection. Thin, crispy crust, the freshest tomatoes, a hint of oregano that sang… I think I actually cried a little. Or maybe it was the jet lag. Or maybe the vino rosso… Either way, it was a religious experience. I ate the entire thing. The entire. Thing. Then, stumbled back to my room, collapsed, and slept the sleep of the utterly satisfied and slightly carb-overloaded.
Day 2: Ancient Ruins, Beach Bumming, and the Mystery of the Missing Gelato Spoon
- Morning: Tried (and failed) to be a cultured tourist. The Archaeological Museum of Reggio Calabria. Okay, the Riace Bronzes are stunning. Seriously, breathtaking. Like, actual tears again. These ancient Greek warriors, frozen in perfect balance! Then, I got distracted. I was distracted by a group of school kids who were, also, looking at the bronzes. They were shouting, gesticulating, and clearly, having an affair with the bronze men. It was amazing.
- Afternoon: Beach time! The water here is that unreal turquoise color. It's like someone spilled a giant bottle of Caribbean dreams. Spent the whole afternoon baking by the sea. Then, went into the sea, and then out again. Got a sunburn. Worth it.
- Evening: Gelato. Of course. But then… the spoon. Vanished! Magically, inexplicably gone, disappeared into the abyss of my cone. Searched frantically. Found nothing. This is a conspiracy. A gelato-spoon conspiracy! I'm pretty sure I saw a shadowy figure in a fedora slink away. Anyway, the gelato was still amazing. I ate it. Spoon or no spoon.
Day 3: The Mountain Escape
- Morning: Decided I needed to escape the beach for a day. Also, needed an escape from the gelato spoons. Hired a small, battered Fiat (because, Italy) and headed into the Aspromonte mountains. The drive was… epic. Winding roads, hairpin turns, and views that made me want to weep with joy.
- Afternoon: Found myself in tiny mountain village. The village was also named "Reggio Calabria." It was a whole other world up there. Older people, children playing in the street, and the constant smell of wood burning. A small, dusty cafe where the owner, a man who looked like he could wrestle a bear, served me the strongest coffee I've ever tasted. He barely spoke any English, and I barely spoke any Italian, but we communicated perfectly through smiles and the shared experience of excellent coffee.
- Evening: Realized I was hopelessly lost and it was getting dark. It was terrifying. The mountains loomed, the forest became dark and frightening, and I was convinced I would spend the night devoured by wolves, or at the very least, bitten by something nasty. Eventually, I stumbled upon a friendly family who directed me back to the main road. Thanking them was a mixture of pure, unadulterated relief and the desperate desire to run away from the whole experience.
Day 4: Farewell, and, of Course, More Pizza
- Morning: Last day! Spent it, naturally, revisiting the pizza place. Ordered three pizzas (don't judge me). The man recognized me! Gave me a extra slice, wink and a chuckle. He knew the deal.
- Afternoon: Last gelato. Said a tearful goodbye to the sea. Took a final meandering stroll through the streets, soaking it all in. Regretting not buying more clothes.
- Evening: Packed my bags, my heart full, my stomach also full, and prepared to leave. Said Arriverderci to my friend, the pizza man. As I walked to the airport, I resolved to return. I will return for sunshine, the glorious food, and the chance to get gloriously, wonderfully lost all over again.
The Imperfections, the Rambles, the Truth…
- The Language Barrier: My Italian is, let's just say, rustic. Mostly consists of "Grazie," "Prego," and a lot of frantic hand gestures.
- The Food: Seriously, the food. It's all amazing. I mean, I'm pretty sure I've gained five pounds, but who cares? Worth. Every. Bite.
- The People: Warm, welcoming, and incredibly patient with my complete ineptitude.
- The Unexpected: Everything. Absolutely everything. That's the magic of it. You can plan all you want, but the best moments are the ones you don't see coming.
And so, my friends, there you have it. A messy, honest, and utterly human account of my time in Reggio Calabria. Go. Explore. Get lost. Eat pizza. And for the love of all that is holy, don't lose your gelato spoon!
Lafayette's BEST Kept Secret: Baymont by Wyndham - Unbelievable Deals!
Uncover the Secrets of Poseidon's Kingdom: Possidonea 28, Reggio Calabria - (Let's Get Messy!)
So, what *is* Possidonea 28 anyway? Sounds fancy.
Okay, okay, deep breaths. Possidonea 28... it's basically a historical site. Think ancient ruins... Greek stuff. Specifically, it's supposed to be the ruins of a temple dedicated to Poseidon, the god of the sea. And the "28"? Uh… I have no clue. Maybe it's the address? Who knows! My Italian isn't exactly *fluent* you know. It was definitely a bit overwhelming walking around, the whole time I just thought, "Am I taking the right paths?" (Spoiler alert: I probably wasn't.)
Is it… worth visiting? Honestly.
Whoa, big question! Okay, honest answer? It *depends.* If you're a hardcore history buff who *loves* crumbling columns and can spend hours meticulously examining fragments of pottery, then YES. Absolutely. You’ll be in heaven. Me? I'm more of a "take a picture, get a gelato" kind of tourist, and for me… it was… interesting. My friend, bless her heart, was practically drooling over some chipped pieces of something. She was *convinced* she'd found a fragment of a priceless amphora! Me? I was battling a mosquito and a sudden, urgent craving for pizza. But the view? Stellar, the Mediterranean is always worth it, even if you're surrounded by… *rocks*.
Okay, let's say I'm going. What should I wear? Seriously, I hate being unprepared.
Comfortable shoes. OH. MY. GOD. Seriously, comfortable shoes. I wore sandals, big mistake. Those ancient Greeks clearly didn't appreciate the joys of cobblestone-avoidance. Closed-toe shoes are a *must*. And sunscreen! The Italian sun has a vendetta against pasty skin. A hat is a good idea. And water. SO MUCH WATER. I foolishly thought I'd be clever and just buy water there. Wrong. Everything cost a fortune. I was so parched I tried to drink from a decorative fountain. (Don't judge… it was a long day). Also, maybe a small backpack so you can carry all the stuff you'll inevitably buy and then regret!
Is it accessible? I'm a bit clumsy. (Or maybe just generally cautious.)
Well, it's not exactly a cakewalk. Expect uneven terrain. Lots of steps. Some areas are… well, let's just say they weren't built with accessibility in mind. There are some, sure, it's not like completely impossible for someone with mobility issues, but it's challenging. And honestly, the signs are in Italian (mostly), so you gotta be ready to interpret the landscape, and your fate. I stumbled a few times. Nearly took out a tour group with my rogue backpack. Consider it a light workout with a side of history. And bring a friend to help you when you inevitably trip over a loose stone!
Okay, you mentioned pizza. Is there food nearby? Please tell me there's decent food.
Pizza! Oh, bless Italy for its carb-laden goodness. Okay, so directly *at* the site? Not much, to be honest. There might be a little kiosk selling snacks. But it's a bit of a walk to the main areas of Reggio Calabria, where you'll find *real* food. I mean, you could pack a sandwich, but honestly, that seems like a sin when you're in Italy. The anticipation of a post-exploration pizza is half the fun!
Tell me about the views. You mentioned the sea, right? I need to be prepared for a beautiful vista.
The views are AMAZING. Absolutely breathtaking. The Tyrrhenian Sea, sprawling before you, is so blue it's unreal. Seriously, the water is so clear, you can see practically forever. I felt like jumping in, even though I was a sweaty mess from the sun. The Straits of Messina are right there too. It's a cliché, but the pictures don't do it justice. You know what I did during that part? I just sat on a rock. I swear, I was there for a good half-hour, doing nothing but gazing. It was worth it. The sheer scale, the feeling of being so close to the sea... it's magical. Just... glorious. And that's coming from someone who was initially complaining.
Did you find anything *interesting*? Like, any secret discoveries? Come on spill the beans!
Okay, so, "secret discoveries"... Not exactly. Unless you count the profound realization that I'm utterly inept at deciphering ancient pottery shards. I spent a solid ten minutes trying to piece together what looked like a very, *very* broken ceramic vase. My friend (the pottery enthusiast) was just laughing and snapping pictures. But! I did find a really pretty pebble. It was shaped like a tiny heart. So, there's that. And I think I saw a tiny lizard. It might have been a gecko. Or a really big bug. My eyesight isn't the best, okay? The real secret discovery was that even with all the bumps, the heat, and the lack of pizza at the actual site... it was an experience. A slightly discombobulated, sweat-drenched experience... but an experience nonetheless!
What was your *worst* moment? Just own up to it.
Ugh. The worst moment? Okay, fine. Let's get this over with. I had this *brilliant* idea to take a picture of myself "embracing" a crumbling pillar. You know, classic tourist pose. I went in for the hug... and the damn thing *shed* a bunch of dust all over me. Like, a biblical dust cloud. I started coughing and spluttering. My sunglasses were completely covered. I looked like a mummy emerging from the sarcophagus in a really bad horror movie. And the worst part? My friend was *still* laughing. She got the perfect shot, of course. I was mortified. I'm pretty sure I left a trail of dust leading all the way back to the car. I still find bits of it in my luggage. It was epic, in the disaster sense of the word.
Would you go back? Seriously.


Post a Comment for "Uncover the Secrets of Poseidon's Kingdom: Possidonea 28, Reggio Calabria"