Seattle's BEST Hostel? American Hotel's HI-Seattle Secret Revealed!

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

Seattle's BEST Hostel? American Hotel's HI-Seattle Secret Revealed!

Seattle's BEST Hostel? American Hotel's HI-Seattle Secret Revealed! - Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dorm (Mostly)

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to drop some truth bombs about the HI-Seattle Hostel at the American Hotel. Forget those glossy travel brochures – this is the real deal, warts and all. I'm talking late-night pizza runs, the questionable charm of a shared bathroom, and the surprisingly soul-soothing power of a good, strong coffee. I'm here to tell you everything, the good, the bad, and the slightly-pee-smelling.

First things first: Accessibility. And, well…

This is important, guys. I'm not entirely sure about the specifics of accessibility. I didn't spend a ton of time looking for it, but I did see an elevator, which is a huge win. There's a category for "Facilities for disabled guests", so hopefully they've got something going on. I'd strongly suggest calling ahead and asking detailed questions about wheelchair accessibility, especially in the dorm rooms. Don’t be afraid to be that person! Better safe than sorry.

Food, Glorious Food (and the Dreaded Buffet): Dining, Drinking, and Snacking

Alright, let’s get to the heart of the matter: fueling up. The American Hotel has got a few options here, and honestly, it's a mixed bag.

  • The Buffet Breakfast (Breakfast [buffet], Asian breakfast, Western breakfast): Okay, here's the tea. This is your classic hostel buffet: think lukewarm scrambled eggs, questionable sausage links, and a waffle iron that's seen better days. The Asian breakfast? I didn’t see it, but I suspect it involves instant noodles. Western? Well, see above. The coffee, though? Surprisingly decent. They had complimentary tea, too (Complimentary tea). This is where I discovered my love for the "slightly-burnt-toast" ambiance of a hostel breakfast. I also met a guy from Norway who put everything on his plate. I mean, everything.
  • The Bar (Bar, Poolside bar, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Snack bar): This is where things get interesting. The bar area is actually pretty chill. They had a decent selection of craft beers (thank god, it's Seattle!), and the poolside bar is a cool touch (though I confess, I didn't see an actual pool). I found myself gravitating towards the coffee shop in the mornings. That first sip of caffeine before facing the day… pure bliss.
  • Restaurants, Restaurants, Restaurants (Restaurants, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, A la carte in restaurant): They had a decent restaurant… or multiple options listed. I’m a little fuzzy on the details as I was mostly focused on finding a cheap slice. There are other food options in the area, so you’re not trapped, even if you get sick of the buffet.

I do wish the happy hour was more…happy.

Cleanliness and Safety - The Holy Grail (or Not):

This is critical for a hostel experience. Honestly, the American Hotel surprised me.

  • General Cleanliness (Cleanliness and safety, Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment): Okay, listen. The rooms were pretty clean. I saw staff cleaning like mad. Lots of hand sanitizer. Good signs. They even offered the option to opt-out of room sanitization. I respect that.
  • My Room (Room sanitization opt-out available): My dorm room? Decently clean. There were some questionable stains on the rug, but hey, it's a hostel. I came prepared with bleach wipes anyway (paranoid, I know).
  • Safety (CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms): The hostel felt safe. 24-hour front desk. Security cameras. Fire extinguishers (thank god!). They were definitely taking safety seriously.

Rooms, Rooms, Rooms… and Bed Bugs (Hopefully Not!)

  • (Available in all rooms): Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.): The rooms are… well, they're hostel rooms. Expect a small space, a shared dorm (probably), and the constant hum of other people breathing. I stayed in a mixed dorm, and honestly, it was fine. The beds were comfy enough. They had lockers to keep your stuff safe. The blackout curtains were a godsend.
  • Wi-Fi (Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Internet access – wireless, Internet): Wi-Fi was free and mostly worked… sometimes. Don't expect lightning-fast speeds. Consider it a bonus if you can stream your Netflix.

Things to Do (and How to Relax) - Beyond the Beer:

  • **(Things to do): The hostel itself doesn't have a ton going on in the way of activities. But here's the important thing: You're in SEATTLE. Seattle is the activity.
  • But, maybe there's a fitness center? (Fitness center, Gym/fitness), a spa? Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, pool? (Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor], Pool with view), body scrub, body wrap, massage, foot bath, sauna – all that sound good? Okay, I’m guessing here.

Services and Conveniences - The Extras That Make Life Easier:

  • (Services and conveniences): Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center: They had a lot of these things! The elevator was a blessing. Daily housekeeping was a nice touch. Luggage storage was essential. Contactless check-in was a godsend. I didn’t see a shrine, but hey, Seattle’s a diverse place.

For the Kids (And the Kid in You!)

  • (For the kids, Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal): Don’t know much about this, but I doubt the hostel is catered to kids.

Getting Around - Getting Lost is Half the Fun (But Not Always)

  • (Getting around, Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking): Getting around Seattle is pretty easy! The hostel is in a central location, so you can walk or take public transportation. I walked everywhere.

More Rambling… and Some Honest Truths:

Okay, so, the HI-Seattle Hostel is… an experience. It's not the Four Seasons. It's not glamorous. It's noisy. It's sometimes smelly. But it's also a gateway. A gateway to cheap eats, to meeting people from all over the world, and to the real, gritty, amazing city of Seattle.

My Verdict?

Would I stay there again? Yeah, probably. I'd be a liar if I didn't admit I was already checking the prices for my next trip.

SEO & Metadata (Because, you know, the internet):

  • Title: HI-Seattle Hostel Review: American Hotel Edition - A Real Tourist's Take!
  • Meta Description: Honest review of the HI-Seattle Hostel at the American Hotel. Find out if it's the best hostel in Seattle! Includes pros, cons, cleanliness, facilities, overall experience.
  • **
Escape to Mankato: Your Dream Stay Awaits at Days Inn!

Book Now

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's itinerary. This is a confession, a plea for caffeine, and the messy, glorious reality of a trip to Seattle, all wrapped up in a travel schedule. We're staying at the American Hotel Hostel. Lord help us.

HI - Seattle: The American Hotel Hostel - A Sentimental Mess

(Dates: TBD - Real life is a vague beast, you know?)

Pre-Trip Panic and Preparations (or Lack Thereof)

  • Mental State: Currently teetering between utter excitement and crippling anxiety. Did I pack enough (probably not)? Do I actually know how to use the bus system (spoiler alert: no)? Is this hostel going to be a haven or a horror show? The suspense… kills me.
  • Flight Booking: I've booked the flight. That's something. I think. Did I confirm the dates? Ugh, checking now. (Several minutes of frantic clicking). Yes. Yes, I did. Phew. Minor victory! Now, what about that damn hostel…
  • Hostel Booking (American Hotel Hostel): Okay, so I booked it, hoping the reviews weren't lying (they ALWAYS lie). The pictures were…interesting. Let's just say "rustic charm" is probably a euphemism for "falling apart but in a cool, vintagey way." Fingers crossed for no bed bugs! (Seriously, that's my biggest fear.)
  • Packing: The "suitcase of doom" is halfway packed. I have a questionable assortment of clothes, including that one ridiculous Hawaiian shirt I swear I'll wear this time (I won't). Snacks. Must have snacks. And about 50 bottles of hand sanitizer. You never know.

Day 1: Arrival, An Awkward Embrace with Seattle, and Questionable Food Choices

  • Morning:
    • Arrive at SeaTac (Seattle-Tacoma International Airport). Hopefully, the plane landed safely. Breathe. Breathe. Find the Link light rail. Pray it's not too crowded.
    • Emotional Reaction: Complete and utter awe at the sheer greenness of it all. Seriously, Seattle is like someone took a giant can of paint and just… splattered it everywhere. I love it immediately, even though I'm also slightly terrified of the city.
    • Quirky Observation: Why does everyone in Seattle seem to be wearing flannel? Is that required attire? Or is it just this hipster conspiracy I'm unaware of?
    • Rambling Thought: I should have taken the bus. Is the light rail a joke? I'm so confused.
    • Getting to the Hostel: Arrive at the American Hotel Hostel. Pray it's clean. Pray the person at the front desk is nice. Pray for no creepy roommates.
    • Imperfection: Check-in takes forever. The front desk person is… well, let's just say they're "endearingly eccentric." I suspect they've seen a lot of things. So much so that they look like they've aged 20 years.
  • Afternoon:
    • Drop bags. Explore the neighborhood. Find a coffee shop. Caffeine is crucial.
    • Emotional Reaction: The coffee is STRONG. Like, "eyes wide open, could run a marathon" strong. Thank goodness. I'm going to need it.
    • Quirky Observation: The coffee shop has a resident cat. Obviously, the cat is judging everyone. I take pictures of it, of course.
    • Rambling Thought: I'm actually enjoying this. The air is crisp, even the drizzle is… kinda charming.
    • Food Disaster: Lunch at a highly-rated food truck. The reviews were glowing. The food tasted like… something. I don't know what. A culinary experiment gone wrong. I'm now slightly nauseous.
      • Doubling Down: Okay, time for the real story. The food truck was famous for its "artisanal tacos." They sounded amazing. They looked… dubious. The meat was… well, let's just say it had a texture that defied explanation. I ate one bite. That was enough. My stomach immediately revolted. I spent the next hour desperately searching for a bathroom, convinced I was going to die. Eventually, found a port-a-potty with a line. The agony. The humiliation. The greasy residue. The food truck owner watched me go.
  • Evening:
    • Walk around. Get slightly lost. Embrace the urban exploration.
    • Opinionated Language: Seattle is beautiful, but the hills are murder. My calves are screaming.
    • Messier Structure: Dinner, but where? Somewhere that can be guaranteed for it to not kill me. Pizza? Can't go wrong with pizza, right?
    • Emotional Reaction: Pizza is comforting and lovely. The day is redeemed.

Day 2: Pike Place Market, Fish Throwing, and the Search for the Perfect Coffee

  • Morning:
    • Pike Place Market! The holy grail of Seattle tourism. Prepare for sensory overload.
    • Emotional Reaction: It's chaotic. It's crowded. It's AMAZING. The smell of fresh flowers, the shouts of vendors, the utter energy of the place… it's intoxicating.
    • Quirky Observation: The fishmongers. Those guys are like, performance art. The fish-throwing, while impressive, is also kind of… gross? But I can't look away.
    • Rambling Thought: I'm glad I got up early for this. The crowds are already building. I should have come at dawn. If the sun even decides to show up.
    • Messy Structure:
      • Coffee, Coffee, Coffee!
      • The Flower Stalls - So. Many. Gorgeous. Blooms.
      • The Gum Wall - Absolutely disgusting. I was compelled to take a photo despite myself.
      • More Coffee!
  • Afternoon:
    • Space Needle: Touristy, yes. Mandatory, also yes.
    • Opinionated Language: The Space Needle is a bit of a rip-off, to be honest. But the views are pretty spectacular.
    • Imperfection: The elevator is packed. I'm claustrophobic. I'm trying to breathe. Almost panic. Made it.
    • Doubling Down: The Space Needle was a visual feast. And so it was. The city sprawled below. The mountains loomed in the distance. I understood now why people live here. And I made a mental note to return to this place.
    • Optional: Visit the Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP). Or not. Depends on energy levels.
  • Evening:
    • Dinner in a neighborhood restaurant. Trying to avoid food poisoning this time.
    • Emotional Reaction: Tired. Happy. Full. Seattle is, unexpectedly, growing on me.
    • Quirky Observation: Everyone here is so… nice! And so eco-conscious. I feel like I need to buy a reusable water bottle immediately.

Day 3: Exploring (And Possibly Getting Lost), And A Final Meal

  • Morning:
    • Free Day! Explore a neighborhood I haven't seen yet. Avoid the tourist traps.
    • Imperfection: Get lost. Probably. Definitely. Embrace it.
    • Emotional Reaction: Maybe I'll find something unexpected. Maybe I'll stumble upon a hidden gem. Or maybe I'll just end up wandering around in circles.
  • Afternoon:
    • Consider: A ferry ride.
    • Messy Structure: Back to the hostel to recharge.
    • Rambling Thought: My feet hurt. My brain is feeling fuzzy. I need a nap.
  • Evening:
    • Final Meal: A farewell dinner. Somewhere with good reviews and no risk of gastrointestinal rebellion.
    • Emotional Reaction: Sad to leave. But also relieved to be going home.
    • Opinionated Language: Seattle, you've been… interesting. Definitely a trip I'll never forget. I hope.
    • Quirky Observation: The hotel is nice, weird, and a little bit dirty. I can't wait to tell my friends.

Departure:

  • Morning:
    • Head back to the airport.
    • Emotional Reaction: Contemplating this trip, it was a mess. But it's my mess. And, somehow, that feels right.
    • Doubling Down: Did I say I was coming back? Yeah, maybe.

Notes (Because I'm Chaotic):

  • Transportation: I'm going to try to use the bus. (We'll see how that goes).
  • Food: Avoid food trucks, unless you have a cast-iron stomach.
  • Weather: Expect rain. Always expect rain. Pack an umbrella. Or just embrace it.
  • Hostel: Pray.
  • Most Important: Have fun
Red Roof Inn Fairmont WV: Unbeatable Deals & Comfort Await!

Book Now

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United StatesOkay, buckle up buttercups! Here's a frantic, funny, and probably-too-honest FAQ about Seattle's BEST Hostel, American Hotel's HI-Seattle, specifically with a focus on the SECRET... and my own chaotic experience. Remember, I'm just a weary traveler, so it's gonna be messy. ```html

Okay, so, HI-Seattle... Is it *really* the best hostel, or is that just marketing hype?

Alright, the million-dollar question! Look, "best" is subjective, right? But let me tell you, after wandering through hostels that felt like abandoned warehouses of questionable sanity (shudders), HI-Seattle is… pretty darn good. The location? Gold. Smack-dab in the heart of Pioneer Square, you're basically tripping over history... and maybe a few questionable characters, but hey, that's part of the charm. Seriously though, walking distance to practically everything? Bliss.

What's the deal with the "secret"? Spill the tea!

Okay, okay, the *secret*… I was expecting buried treasure, a secret speakeasy… something *juicy*. It's not exactly a national secret. It's the "HI-Seattle Secret" which is also visible in the name.

It's a well-kept secret, an active, ongoing and evolving social scene. And to be honest, I'm still unsure what it is. One night I found myself in a spontaneous karaoke session with a guy dressed as a sparkly unicorn. Don't look at me.

The rooms... are they a shoe-in-the-face-level of cramped?

Okay, let's be real. Hostel rooms are rarely *luxurious*. You're talking bunk beds, the symphony of someone's snoring, and that lingering smell of… well, *people*. The HI-Seattle rooms are… decent. You're not going to be hosting a ballroom dance, but they're clean-ish, and the lockers are a godsend for your precious valuables. Seriously, lock up your passport. Trust me.

I stayed in a dorm once that was *packed*. Nine beds! It was like a human Tetris game, trying to navigate without waking anyone. But hey, you make friends. Or at least, you learn to tolerate each other's sleep-talking.

What about the bathrooms? Cleanliness is a major concern.

This is where HI-Seattle generally shines. Now, I've seen some bathrooms in my hostel travels that would make a biohazard specialist weep. HI-Seattle's bathrooms are usually… acceptable. They are clean, and there is usually enough hot water. I would rate it a solid 7/10.

But listen, it's a hostel. Someone *will* leave their wet towel on the floor. Someone *will* hog the shower. It's just the way of the world. But the staff generally do a good job of keeping things in reasonable shape.

The kitchen... Can I actually cook? Or is it a microwave-only situation?

Yes! A real kitchen! With, like, *actual* appliances! I'm telling you, this is a major win. You can cook your own meals, save money, and avoid the siren song of greasy takeout! I remember once, making a terrible vegan pasta. A couple of other travelers actually came and joined me.

However, be prepared for communal kitchen shenanigans. Someone *will* leave their dirty dishes in the sink. Someone *will* steal your food (label everything!). And there might be a passive-aggressive post-it note war erupting over who used whose spatula. It's all part of the experience, believe me.

Is the staff helpful? I've dealt with some *interesting* hostel employees.

The staff! Okay, they're generally good. They're young, they’re friendly, and they’re usually *helpful*. They’re often travelers themselves, so they get the whole "lost and confused" thing. Ask them about Seattle stuff. They'll point you in the right direction.

I had a particularly memorable interaction with one staff member who tried to explain the Space Needle's significance while simultaneously juggling three oranges. Not sure what was happening, but the enthusiasm was appreciated.

What's the vibe like? Is it a party hostel? A quiet library? Something in between?

It's… in between. HI-Seattle is generally not a raging party hostel (thank goodness). It's more of a social-but-can-also-be-quiet kind of place. You *could* find yourself staying up until 3 AM, swapping stories with a random stranger. Or, you can hide in your bunk and read a book.

There's often a communal area where people hang out, play games, and chat. You might even get roped into a pub crawl. Or, you can do your own thing. It's flexible, which I like.

Let's talk about that location again. Is Pioneer Square safe?

Okay, Pioneer Square… it's a historic area, beautiful architecture, cobblestone streets, and the *occasional*… uh… *eccentric* character. It's generally safe, but like any city area, you need to be aware of your surroundings, especially at night. Don't flash your valuables. Don't wander around alone down dark alleys at 3 AM. Common sense, people!

I did have one slightly unsettling encounter with a guy trying to sell me a half-eaten sandwich at 2 in the morning. But, you know, that's city life. You can't be too naive.

Would you recommend HI-Seattle? And Why?

Look, for a hostel in Seattle? Absolutely. HI-Seattle is a solid choice. The location is prime. The social scene is generally good. The staff is helpful. The facilities are decent, and the price is right.

I mean, it's not perfect. But if you're looking for a good base for exploring the city, meeting other travelers, and not breaking the bank... yeah, I'd recommend it. Just bring earplugs, an open mind, and maybe a hazStay While You Wander

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Seattle (WA) United States

Post a Comment for "Seattle's BEST Hostel? American Hotel's HI-Seattle Secret Revealed!"