Escape to Paradise: Cedar Hill Lodge Awaits in St. Ignace!

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Escape to Paradise: Cedar Hill Lodge Awaits in St. Ignace!

Escape to Paradise? More Like a Pleasant Pit Stop: A Review of Cedar Hill Lodge, St. Ignace

Alright, folks, buckle up. I just got back from a whirlwind trip to St. Ignace, Michigan, and stayed at the Cedar Hill Lodge. "Escape to Paradise"? Hmm, well, let's just say it's more like a very agreeable pit stop on the road to… well, anywhere, really. This isn't a perfect Polynesian beach resort, but it is a solid, comfortable basecamp for exploring the Mackinac area. And let's be real, sometimes a comfortable basecamp is all you need.

Accessibility – Kinda/Sorta.

Okay, so, let’s get this out of the way early because accessibility is a huge deal, and I want to be upfront. The website says they have facilities for disabled guests. And yeah, they have an elevator and an accessible ramp to the lobby. But "accessible" is a spectrum, friends. I didn't personally test the full accessibility features (because I don't use a wheelchair), but I did notice some… challenges. The lay of the land is a bit hilly, and while the main areas seemed okay, I didn't venture far enough to fully assess the paths to potentially accessible rooms. So, take the accessibility claims with a grain (or a whole shaker) of salt and maybe call ahead for specifics.

Rooms – Comfortable, But Not Exactly "Paradise."

The rooms themselves? Clean and definitely comfortable. I had a room with so many features, according to the provided list: Air conditioning (thank heavens, Michigan heat!), Alarm clock (who uses those anymore?), Bathrobes (ah, the classic hotel robe!), Bathroom phone (haven't seen one of those since the 90s!), Bathtub (always a plus), Blackout curtains (essential for catching up on sleep!), Carpeting (a little dated, but hey!), Closet (gotta hang up those shirts!), Coffee/tea maker (needed that morning caffeine!), Complimentary tea (nice touch!), and so on, and so forth. The sheer volume of options was almost overwhelming.

Internet – Praise Be for Wi-Fi!

Thank the internet gods, because Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and Wi-Fi [free] are both listed. Seriously, this is a lifesaver. I spent a good chunk of time glued to my laptop, and the connection was surprisingly solid. They also have Internet access – wireless and Internet access – LAN, so you have options. No complaints here. I could update my socials, send emails, research restaurants… all the important stuff.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – A Solid "Meh."

The dining situation was… serviceable. They had a restaurant (duh!), and the buffet in restaurant was the breakfast highlight, with the usual suspects: scrambled eggs, bacon, and suspiciously vibrant fruit salad. It's a little more "quantity" than "quality," but hey, it gets the job done. There's a coffee/tea in restaurant arrangement for a caffeine fix, and coffee shop options. I'm a coffee snob, and this was decidedly not artisanal. The poolside bar was functional, and that's all I'm going to say about that. Room service [24-hour] is listed, but I didn't try it. And thank god for the Snack bar to keep me going.

Things to Do, Ways to Relax – More Like “Things to Consider Doing.”

Okay, here's where things get interesting… or, well, not that interesting. The Lodge lists a whole bunch of "relaxing" options. A Pool with view? Pretty standard. A Swimming pool [outdoor]? Yup. A Fitness center? Sure, but it looked like it hadn't seen a treadmill in a decade. A Spa? It's listed. I think it's more of a “spa-adjacent” situation, probably. They also list a sauna and a steamroom, but… I'm not convinced those were operating. I didn't try any of them, to be honest. I did spend some time in the pool. Nothing spectacular, but hey, I got a few laps in.

Cleanliness and Safety – Trying Their Best?

Alright, to be fair, they seem to be trying to be diligent about this whole COVID thing. They have Hand sanitizer everywhere and Staff trained in safety protocol. I saw Anti-viral cleaning products being used, and there was Daily disinfection in common areas. They also offer Room sanitization opt-out available if you're a germaphobe. The fact they did so much is a big plus.

Services and Conveniences – A Mixed Bag.

They offer your standard array of services: Daily housekeeping, Laundry service, Dry cleaning, a Concierge (who was surprisingly helpful), and Cash withdrawal. There's also a Gift/souvenir shop (to buy those tacky "I <3 Mackinac" t-shirts). One of the highlights was the convenience of Contactless check-in/out, because who wants to mingle too much these days?

For the Kids – Alright, Maybe Paradise Lite.

They list Family/child friendly and Kids facilities. Also there's Babysitting service, which is good to know. I didn't have any kids with me, as I was on a solo trip. From what I saw, it seems like a decent place for families, with a pool and the proximity to attractions.

My Big Takeaway: The Breakfast Buffet (and My Struggle with the Bacon)

Okay, so here's the thing that really stuck with me. The breakfast buffet. I'm a creature of habit. Every morning, I made a B-line for the bacon. And every morning, the bacon was a battlefield. It was either crispy bits of heaven or limp, undercooked strips that barely qualified as bacon. One morning, I saw some absolutely divine looking bacon, all perfectly done. I loaded up my plate, eager for salty, smoky goodness. Then, I sat down and took a bite. It was… cold. Like, fridge-cold. I almost cried. I went back to my room to make instant oatmeal, and pondered the meaning of life (and breakfast bacon).

My Rating:

3 out of 5 stars. Cedar Hill Lodge is a decent option. It's clean, comfortable, and close to the fun stuff in St. Ignace. The accessibility needs work, the food is okay, and the "spa" situation is questionable. But the Wi-Fi is good, and the staff were friendly so I'd probably come back. After all, bacon's a gamble, no matter where you go.

Lake George Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Super 8!

Book Now

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the glorious chaos that is a weekend at Cedar Hill Lodge in St. Ignace, Michigan. Forget those picture-perfect itineraries; this is the real deal, a messy, imperfect, and utterly human account of my attempt to "relax" (whatever that means) in the U.P.

FRIDAY: The Great Escape (and the Impatience)

  • 2:00 PM - Arrival at the Lodge (or, the Perpetual State of "Almost There")
    • Okay, so traffic on I-75 was a nightmare. Seriously, why do people drive in the left lane at 45 mph? The world may never know. Anyway, after what felt like an eternity of bumper-to-bumper torture, we finally pulled up to Cedar Hill Lodge. First impression? Charming. Like, "grandma's cozy cabin" charming. The kind of place that smells vaguely of woodsmoke and promises a weekend of glorious, wifi-free bliss.
    • First Hiccup: The check-in "process"… well, it's a classic. It felt like I was navigating a labyrinth to get to our room. Maybe it's me; I always seem to go where the signs don't point.
  • 3:00 PM - Room Reconnaissance and Panic (in that order)
    • Our room… yeah, it was basic. Not in a bad way, but in a "definitely-not-luxurious-hotel-suite" and more like "cozy-cabin-chic" kind of way. The view, however, was AMAZING! Overlooking the harbor, and with the Mackinac Bridge almost within touching distance.
    • Panic set in. "Did I pack enough snacks? Did I forget my toothbrush? Did I leave the iron on?" (Okay, no, I don't have an iron. But the feeling was there).
  • 4:00 PM - The Pursuit of Coffee and Lake-Side Bliss (with a Side of Grouchiness)
    • First, coffee. Essential. Found a little cafe in town with a ridiculously charming name. Coffee was decent, views were brilliant. I swear, it was at this point I felt like I could finally breathe out a little and let the tension of the week melt away.
    • My first mistake: I forgot that, it has to be said, I don't handle caffeine particularly well. My heart rate starts to pick up and I get a little twitchy. Note to self: decaf next time.
    • Later, we wandered around the harbor. The lake was calm as glass, reflecting the sky like a perfect mirror. I felt a small but real glimmer of happiness.
  • 7:00 PM - Dinner at a Local Restaurant (and the Questionable Art of Ordering)
    • Found a place with good reviews. Too many reviews. It was packed. We had to wait for, like, an hour.
    • Dinner was…interesting. I'm pretty sure my fish was probably a little too well-done. My spouse's burger, on the other hand, looked magnificent. I guess there's always next time.
    • And, let's be honest, the ambiance was more "loud family dinner" than "romantic evening".
  • 9:00 PM - Stumbling Back to the Lodge and the Sweet Embrace of Sleep
    • I think I'm going to turn in early on Friday. After all the driving and the cafe chaos, my eyes are starting to get a little blurry. Can't wait to hit the rack.

SATURDAY: The Bridge, The Island, and The Unexpected Epiphany

  • 8:00 AM - BREAKFAST (with a Grumble)
    • Breakfast at the lodge? Yeah… it happened. Oatmeal, some fruit, and a questionable-looking pastry. Let's just say, it wasn't the highlight of the day.
  • 9:00 AM - Mackinac Bridge: Awe and Mild Acrophobia (a Deadly Combo)
    • So, the bridge. It's enormous. And beautiful. And, if you're like me, slightly terrifying, especially on a blustery day. I made my spouse drive. I kept my eyes closed for a good portion of the crossing. But when I did open them, the views, man… the views were stunning!
    • Anecdote time: I actually got so lost in the moment I began to cry. Not from fear, but from a kind of raw joy. The sheer scale of the bridge, the glistening water beneath it, was overwhelming in the best possible way.
  • 10:00 AM - Ferry to Mackinac Island: Charm Overload and the Horse-Drawn Dilemma
    • The ferry ride itself was a total dream. Soaking up the sun, the wind in my hair… pure bliss.
    • The problem with horses: It smelled, shall we say, earthy.
  • 11:00 AM - Island Exploration: Fudge, Fudge Everywhere (and a Sugar High to Match)
    • Seriously, Mackinac Island is a fudge-lover's paradise. The shops are practically overflowing with it. We bought more than we could possibly eat, but hey, it's vacation, right?
    • The Fudge Incident: I may or may not have accidentally dropped a sample on the sidewalk. Don't judge me.
  • 1:00 PM - Lunch on the Island: Another Lesson in Dining Choices
    • We ended up at a restaurant with a lovely patio. Food was… okay. Pretty expensive for what it was. I think I'm getting better at ordering at least!
  • 2:00 PM - Wandering and Wondering: That Feel Good Moment
    • I think I began to let it go. To lose myself a little in the day. I realized that I needed to stop my habitual need to be in control, and just be. I'm not sure if that makes any sense!
  • 5:00 PM - Relaxation and the Quiet of the Evening
    • Back at the Lodge, I decided to just do nothing. I was exhausted from the day of activity. And it was perfect.
  • 7:00 PM - Fish Fry (Take 2)
    • With a little bit more luck, no one was left disappointed that the fish wasn't as good as hoped.

SUNDAY: The Long Goodbye (and the Bitter-Sweetness of Leaving)

  • 8:00 AM - Breakfast (The Final Verdict)
    • Sunday morning. It hit me. This was the final breakfast. So, I actually enjoyed it a little bit more!
  • 9:00 AM - Scenic Drive and a Dash of Regret
    • We took a little detour on the way out of town, and it struck me: Why do I always rush? Why do I spend so much time planning and thinking and wishing things?
  • 11:00 AM - Headed home!
    • Traffic on the way back wasn't too bad, which was good. The trip home was quiet, with both of us lost in our own thoughts. Even if I hadn't had that "perfect" trip, I was better off for it.
    • Final Thoughts: Cedar Hill Lodge was great. It wasn't perfect, of course. But that's the whole point, isn't it? It was real. It was a little messy. It was authentically, wonderfully flawed. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

So, there you have it. My weekend in St. Ignace. A roller-coaster of emotions, questionable food choices, and a whole lot of fudge. And, if I'm being honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find a nap.

Unbelievable East Keystone Views: Your Dream Keystone Resort Getaway Awaits!

Book Now

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States```html

Escape to Paradise: Cedar Hill Lodge - The *Real* Deal FAQs

Okay, so Cedar Hill Lodge... is it *actually* paradise? I'm skeptical.

Alright, let's be real. "Paradise" is a strong word. My first thought walking in? "Wow, this definitely looks *like* the photos, which is already a win in the travel world!" But paradise? Well, it depends on what you're after. If your version of heaven involves a roaring fire, the smell of pine needles, and zero Wi-Fi (seriously, brace yourselves!), yeah, it’s got strong paradise vibes. If your idea of bliss is a perfectly manicured hotel with a cocktail in hand and room service at 3 AM… well, buddy, you might be disappointed. This is rustic. Charming. *Potentially* mosquito-infested. Paradise-adjacent, let's say. BUT, and this is a big but, the sheer *peace* I felt watching the sunset over the lake? That's pretty darn heavenly. Like, I almost cried happy tears. Almost. I blame the champagne.

What's the food situation? Because I *need* my breakfast.

Okay, food. Crucial. Cedar Hill Lodge *does* offer breakfast, which is included in the stay, which is a huge bonus when your other option is to hit the gas station for a stale donut. From what I understand, it's a family-run place, and the breakfasts feel like you're getting fed by your awesome, slightly eccentric (but warm) Aunt Millie. Think home fries, eggs done just right, and maybe some bacon that crisps up just the way you like it. And the coffee? Strong. *Very* strong. I might still be buzzing. But seriously, it's hearty, it fuels the day, and it's a million times better than that gas station donut. Lunch and dinner? Up to you! St. Ignace has some decent options, and exploring those is part of the fun. Don't expect Michelin-star dining, but expect good, honest meals. And, hey, a picnic by the lake is pretty darn perfect. I did that. Highly recommend.

Is it actually cozy? The photos look staged.

Staged? Yeah, probably. But does that *matter*? Nope. When I say cozy, I mean the kind of cozy that wraps you in a giant, fuzzy blanket and gives you a warm hug. The rooms aren't sleek and modern, they're... lived-in. In the best way. Think comfy beds, quilts that look like they were hand-stitched, and fireplaces that (if the weather allows!) you can actually use. I almost cried when I opened the door, looked around at the bear-themed decorations, and just felt an immediate sense of *ahhhh.* It's the kind of place where you can actually switch off your phone and curl up with a good book (or, let's be honest, scroll endlessly on Instagram when everyone else is asleep; no judgement). My personal favorite part? The porch. Rocking chairs, the lake view, a cup of coffee? Pure bliss. Just… watch out for the occasional spider. Nature, you know?

What are the downsides, if any? Spill the tea.

Okay, the downsides. Let's be clear: this isn't a five-star resort. The Wi-Fi is patchy at best. Cell service? Good luck. My husband nearly had a conniption because he couldn't check his work emails. (I, on the other hand, secretly celebrated. Finally, a real vacation!) Some rooms are older and might lack the *latest* updates, but they are clean. There's also a general "rustic charm" that might translate to "a bit dated" for some. You'll likely encounter wildlife. I'm talking squirrels, chipmunks, and possibly a curious deer or two. Okay, there was one time I saw a mouse scurry across the floor. I swear, it looked at me, blinked, and kept going. It wasn't in my room though. Which is a win. Oh, and the mosquitos. Bring the bug spray. Seriously. And maybe a net for your head. Just in case.

Is there anything to *do* in St. Ignace? Besides, you know, *nothing*?

"Nothing" is subjective, my friend. There's plenty to do, depending on your definition of "fun." St. Ignace is a fantastic jumping-off point for exploring the Upper Peninsula. Ferry to Mackinac Island? Absolutely. Scenic drives? You betcha. Hiking trails? Plenty. I had planned to spend a day on a guided fishing tour, but the guide never showed up! The boat was late. I think things got mixed up with the time. I was a bit panicked! Turns out, it wasn't an issue because I met some women who let me join them. It was a fun group, and we were fishing in no time! It was great! I caught two fish which was amazing for me. I was even more suprised when the other women asked me if I wanted the fish! It could not have been a more memorable experience! They were so nice! I cooked it on the grill and it was delicious! But yeah, a day trip Mackinac Island is a must-do, too. There are also some cute shops to browse, and restaurants to sample. I got some fudge, of course! But really, the true magic of St. Ignace is the *lack* of things, sometimes. It's about slowing down, breathing deep and just… being. Which, honestly, is exactly what most of us need right now.

Speaking of slowing down, what's the *vibe*? Is it family-friendly? Romantic? Rowdy party central?

The vibe? Relaxed. Very relaxed. Think more "cozy cabin with a crackling fire" than "Spring Break in Cancun." It's definitely family-friendly, in the sense that kids can run around, explore the outdoors (and make a mess!), and generally be kids. It's also romantic. I saw at least one proposal during my stay. *Swoon*. The sunsets over the lake are the perfect backdrop for a romantic evening. It's definitely NOT rowdy party central. Come here to unwind, reconnect with nature, and enjoy some peace and quiet. Unless, of course, your idea of a party is a quiet evening with a glass of wine in front of the fireplace, then, by all means, party on!

Okay, you've almost convinced me. Any final words of wisdom?

Go. Just go. But go with realistic expectations. This isn't a luxury resort. It's also not a dump. It's something in between. It's a chance to escape the everyday grind, reconnect with nature, and maybe, *just maybe*, find a little piece of paradise on the shores of Lake Michigan. Embrace the imperfections. Embrace the slower pace. Embrace the mosquitos (with bug spray, of course!). And most of all? Embrace the experience, and be okay with doing absolutely nothing sometimes. It'll be good for you. I swear. And if you see a mouse, don't judge. They pay rent like everyone else. Kidding! Mostly...Go! You won't regret it. And tell meStay By City

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Cedar Hill Lodge St. Ignace (MI) United States

Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: Cedar Hill Lodge Awaits in St. Ignace!"