
Escape to Richmond: Your Perfect Glenside Getaway at Extended Stay America!
Escape to Richmond: Extended Stay America - "Glenside Getaway"? More Like… Well, Let's Get Into It. (A Messy, Honest Review.)
Okay, folks, buckle up because we're diving headfirst into my Extended Stay America escapade in Richmond, VA. "Glenside Getaway," huh? That's what they say. I'm here to give you the REAL dirt, the nitty-gritty, the stuff they won't put in the glossy brochure. Expect a rollercoaster of opinions, because honestly, this place… it’s got layers. And sometimes, those layers smell faintly of… well, let’s just say “lived-in.”
SEO & Metadata Stuff (Ugh, Gotta Do It):
- Keywords: Extended Stay America Richmond, Glenside, Virginia, Hotel Review, Accessibility, Wheelchair Accessible, Free Wi-Fi, Cleanliness, Pet-Friendly, Long-Term Stay, Budget Hotel, Extended Stay, Business Travel, Family Friendly, Richmond Accommodations, Comfortable Stay, Amenities, Reviews, Experiences.
- Metadata Description: A brutally honest review of the Extended Stay America in Richmond, VA, covering everything from accessibility and cleanliness to the ahem "culinary" offerings and the overall vibe. Prepare for unfiltered opinions and real-world insights.
First Impressions & Accessibility (The Good, The… Well, You’ll See)
Right off the bat, let's talk accessibility. This is important, right? Accessibility: I'm not personally using a wheelchair, but I did check out the facilities. There was a decent Wheelchair Accessible setup overall – ramps, accessible rooms available. The hallways seemed wide enough. BUT, and this is key: I did notice the occasional wonky, poorly-maintained door (a classic Extended Stay vibe, I fear!). It might’ve been a struggle for some, just keeping it real. Elevator – yes, thankfully. Facilities for disabled guests – they claim to have them. Check ahead!
And the entry? Fine. CCTV in common areas - yep, felt pretty safe. Check-in/out [express] - fast and, well, impersonal. Check-in/out [private] - I'm not sure I would've wanted a private check-in here. Front desk [24-hour] - good for peace of mind.
Internet Access – The Eternal Struggle (and a Freebie!)
Okay, Internet. This is a HUGE deal for me. Internet access – LAN is mentioned, but who even uses LAN anymore? Thankfully, the saving grace is Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Praise the Wi-Fi gods! It was… okay. Let's just say it wasn’t blazing fast. Consider yourself warned if you're planning on streaming HD movies. But hey, it worked, and it was free. Small victories, people. Internet services – there's a fax/Xerox in the business center, which is a polite way of saying "good luck finding the toner."
Cleanliness & Safety (The Big Question Mark)
Alright, here's where we get real. Cleanliness and safety are obviously paramount, especially these days. They tout Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays, and Staff trained in safety protocol. That all sounds great in theory.
In practice? Well… let’s just say the devil's in the details. I did see staff hustling to clean (kudos!), but I also spotted a stray crumb or two lingering in the hallway (like a breadcrumb trail of… something). Hygiene certification - a little vague, maybe? Hand sanitizer - present, which is smart. Room sanitization opt-out available - a nice touch. Hot water linen and laundry washing - fingers crossed! Professional-grade sanitizing services - I hope so!
The room itself felt clean-ish. I ran a sanitizing wipe over the remote control just in case (you know, the usual paranoia) and then I got started. Overall, it was more “tidy and functional” than “sparkling clean.” Daily housekeeping - I skipped it personally, but it was offered.
Rooms, Amenities, and That “Extended Stay” Vibe (The Good, The Bad, and the… Well, You'll See)
The Non-smoking rooms are a must, am I right? I appreciated the Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Blackout curtains, Coffee/tea maker. Those are non-negotiables. The Desk was functional. The Refrigerator was a godsend for stashing snacks.
My room had a Seating area, which was a nice touch for spreading out (because, you know, extended stay). Linens seemed… adequate. Extra long bed: appreciated! (I'm tall.) Closet was there, but I wouldn't hang my best threads in there – it was more of a “hang-up-your-travel-clothes-and-hope-they-don’t-smell-like-the-hallway” closet.
And then there's the Internet access – wireless. Again, it was… present. Not mind-blowing, but it got the job done for checking emails and, you know, doomscrolling after a long day. Interconnecting room(s) available - good for families, maybe less good if you get the noisy neighbors!
The Bathtub and Shower were functional. They had Toiletries, but I wouldn't rave and keep my own. Hair dryer, Ironing facilities: checked the boxes. Microwave - in the room too, which is standard.
The overall feeling of the room was this: comfortable in its own slightly-worn way. It's not the Ritz, but it's a place to crash, and… that's really all I wanted. Non-smoking rooms.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (The Bare Bones)
Okay, culinary experiences at Extended Stay America are… not why you're here. Let’s be honest. Breakfast service: They offer. In my experience? A very limited grab-and-go situation. Some pre-packaged muffins, coffee… you get the picture. Don't expect a buffet of gourmet anything. Breakfast takeaway service: basically, the same thing. Mini bar - nope, thankfully. Bottle of water - hope you brought your own. Restaurants - none on site, so you're on your own unless you like room service [24-hour]. Snack bar - at least you can get some snacks if you feel in the mood.
This is not a place for a foodie adventure. Essential condiments are probably what you're looking for.
Services and Conveniences (The Practical Stuff)
Car park [free of charge] - huge win! Laundry service: Probably available? Concierge - I did not see one. Convenience store - not really. There's a mini-mart within walking distance. Cash withdrawal - nope. Luggage storage - not sure, didn't use it. Gift/souvenir shop - no way, José. Car power charging station - nope.
For the Kids (Maybe Not a Resort, But…)
Family/child friendly — it’s fine. Kids facilities — I didn’t see any. Babysitting service — unlikely. This is more of a utilitarian base camp than a family resort.
Getting Around (Easy Peasy)
Car park [on-site] – ample parking. Airport transfer – unlikely, you'd need to arrange it. Taxi service – Probably. Bicycle parking - I didn't see any, but you could probably lock your bike up.
Overall Impression (The Verdict)
Look, the Extended Stay America in Richmond, VA, is… exactly what you’d expect. It's not luxurious. It's not fancy. It's not going to win any awards for its gourmet cuisine.
But! It works. It's functional. It has decent internet, clean-ish rooms, and free parking. It's a solid, budget-friendly option if you’re looking for a place to crash while you explore Richmond, or need a place to stay for a while.
Would I go back? Probably. It served its purpose. But I’ll pack my own snacks, and a bottle of disinfectant wipes. And maybe, just maybe, I'll bring my own pillow.
Rating: A Solid 3 out of 5 Stars (and a silent prayer for good Wi-Fi.)
Detroit's BEST Extended Stay? Novi's Haggerty Rd. Haven Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because here is the unvarnished, slightly-off-kilter, and probably-not-entirely-successful itinerary for my stay at the Extended Stay America Suites in Richmond, Virginia. Prepare for some… experiences. Don't blame me if you get lost in a thought-spiral alongside me. This is gonna be messy, just like life.
Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North Richmond (VA) - The Grand, Messy, and Possibly Slightly Disappointing Adventure
(Okay, let's be real, it's mostly just a place to sleep. But hey, it's my place to sleep for a while!)
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Grocery Store Gamble
- 1:00 PM: Arrive at Richmond International Airport (RIC). Ugh. Airports. The air is always stale, the people are always stressed, and the coffee tastes like despair. I'm already regretting this trip. But hey, it's a change of scenery, right? (Deep breath). Okay, gotta find that rental car…wish me luck.
- 2:00 PM: Finally have the keys to my chariot (a slightly dented sedan, naturally). The drive to the Extended Stay is… functional. Nothing to write home about. Except the stoplight that seemed to take an eon to change. I swear, I saw a squirrel build a nest in the tree next to me.
- 3:00 PM: Check into Extended Stay. First impressions? It's… beige. Very beige. And the air conditioning is suspiciously loud. I’m going to need to figure out the temperature control ASAP. I also spot a suspicious stain on the carpet near the fridge. Note to self: Investigate later, but carefully.
- 3:30 PM: The Great Grocery Store Expedition. This is crucial. Gotta stock up on snacks, because, let's face it, I'm going to be holed up in this place for the foreseeable future. I pick a random grocery store off Google Maps. It promised "everything you need." Liars. Okay, maybe not liars, but they definitely didn't have my favorite brand of instant ramen. Devastating. Settled for something "similar". Fingers crossed.
- 5:00 PM: Unpacking and settling in. Attempting to make the beige box feel like a temporary home. Fail. But at least the mini-fridge works? That's a win. I'm also now intimately acquainted with the television remote. We’re practically best friends.
- 6:30 PM: Dinner – the aforementioned "similar" instant ramen, plus a bag of chips. Gourmet dining, I am not. Watching whatever's on TV after, maybe some terrible reality show… it's the perfect depressing accompaniment. I'm already starting to feel a sense of… melancholy? Is that what you call it when you’re alone in a strange place, eating lukewarm noodles?
Day 2: History & the Hum of the Air Conditioner
- 9:00 AM: Wake up. Discover the source of the suspicious stain. It's… rust? From the window? Okay, moving on.
- 10:00 AM: Attempt to be a responsible tourist: Visit the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Honestly, the art was… art. Some stuff was cool, some stuff wasn't. The gift shop, though? Score! I got a magnet. Gotta document my adventures, right?
- 1:00 PM: Lunch. Found a little cafe nearby. The food was… edible. The waitress was super friendly, even though I mumbled something about the rust stain on the window. Maybe she didn't hear me. Probably a good thing.
- 2:30 PM: Strolling around Monument Avenue. Okay, this is a vibe. Grand houses, statues of Civil War heroes… I feel a little out of place, wandering around in my slightly-wrinkled t-shirt. But, I'm trying to be cultured!
- 4:00 PM: Back to the beige box. The air conditioner is still humming like a dying robot. I attempt to investigate its inner workings via YouTube tutorials. Fail. I think I need to call maintenance. Maybe.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner. The Ramen is still passable. Staring out the window. This is actually kind of… peaceful? Almost.
- 8:00 PM: That moment where you realize you've spent 3 hours staring at the TV screen. Is this my life now? Probably.
Day 3: The White Elephant Sale & Self-Reflection
- 9:00 AM: The dreaded morning routine. Which consists of the same thing every day, wake up, shower, and look in the mirror.
- 10:00 AM: Decide to be adventurous: check out this "White Elephant Sale" that's advertised at a local church. Oh boy.
- 10:30 AM: Arrive at the church. Okay, the sale is… intense! Lots of stuff. Really odd stuff. See a collection of porcelain cats, and I am suddenly reminded of my Aunt Mildred.
- 12:00 PM: The ultimate find – a slightly chipped teacup! For a dollar! This is going to be a core memory.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch at the church's "snack bar". Surprisingly delicious, but the "chocolate chip cookie" turned out to be a little stale. More self-reflection time.
- 2:00 PM: Back at the Extended Stay. I am starting to feel restless.
- 3:00 PM: The teacup sits on the desk. I start to feel sad, and I don't even know why.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner. The familiar comfort of the microwave and the even more familiar sadness of the "similar" ramen.
- 8:00 PM: I call the person in maintenance. Let's see if they can fix the air conditioner.
Day 4: The Air Conditioner Saga & The Crumbling of Expectations
- 9:00 AM: The Air Conditioner is still broken. I try to distract myself.
- 10:00 AM: The maintenance person comes. He gives me a look. The bad news.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch, back at the cafe. They know me now. I order a slice of pie.
- 2:00 PM: The air conditioner is… still broken. The beige walls are closing in. I'm starting the mental calculations to see how much a better hotel would cost.
- 6:00 PM: Packing up. The stay is cut short. I am not happy.
…And So On… (Ending Abruptly, Because This is Real Life)
Look, this is not the glamorous story you'd find in a travel magazine. It's beige, it's slightly depressing, it's full of ramen, and it's probably not the most exciting itinerary ever devised. But, it's real, right? In a way, the small discomforts and the little victories – the chipped teacup, the friendly waitress, that moment of peace by the window – are actually… life. And hey, maybe next time I won't book the Extended Stay. Just kidding… Probably.
Escape to Philly's Hidden Gem: Courtyard Plymouth Meeting Awaits!
Escape to Richmond: Your Perfect Glenside Getaway at Extended Stay America? (Let's Discuss!)
Okay, so... Is this Extended Stay America in Glenside *actually* a "getaway"? Like, a legitimate escape?
Alright, let's be real. "Getaway" is doing a LOT of work here. It's not the Maldives. Think more... a strategic retreat? Look, I've been there. Twice. The first time? Desperate. My apartment's plumbing decided to stage a full-blown aquatic drama the night before my important presentation. Extended Stay America in Glenside (bless its heart) was the closest thing to a dry haven I could find. So, yes, in that panicked, "I need to dry my presentation notes and find a working toilet" kind of way, it *was* a getaway. Not a glamorous one. More of a tactical maneuver. My second trip? I was avoiding my in-laws. Different kind of desperation, same result. So, yeah. Escape? Depends on what you're escaping *from*.
What are the rooms like? Are we talking five-star luxury? (Please say no, I'm budgeting.)
Luxury? Honey, no. Think... functional. Comfortable...ish. They're designed for extended stays, so you get a fridge, a stovetop (which, let's be honest, probably hasn't been thoroughly cleaned since the Clinton administration), and some basic kitchen stuff. Don't go expecting designer furniture or, like, multiple USB ports. (I had to fight for the one in my room!) But, hey, for the price? It's fine. Perfectly serviceable. Expect a certain...institutional vibe. You know, the kind where you feel like you might need to disinfect the remote before you even turn on the TV. And the bathroom...well, let's just say I've seen more spacious walk-in closets. Pack extra towels. Trust me.
Breakfast? What's the breakfast situation? Is it edible?
Breakfast...ah, breakfast. It's included, which is nice, I guess. But don't expect a gourmet experience. Think… pre-packaged. Think… the kind of muffins that have the texture of dense bricks. Think… a coffee dispenser that delivers a brown liquid that *vaguely* resembles coffee. Seriously, bring your own instant oatmeal. Or, better yet, just grab a bagel from the grocery store down the road. Much better for your sanity, and your digestive system. Honestly, I usually just skipped breakfast and just grabbed a yogurt from the fridge I'd brought in.
Okay, the location. Glenside. Is there anything *to do* in Glenside? Or am I trapped?
Glenside! It's…quaint. I mean, it's not *booming* with excitement. But it's not a total desert either. You're close to Chestnut Hill, which is nice for a stroll and some decent food and drink. Then, the train into Philly is right nearby, so you can actually *do* stuff. I caught a show in the city. I did a whole day of shopping. You can’t just stay in your room watching the questionable cable channels for two weeks, alright? It’s a *strategic* location, in my opinion. It's more chill than Center City, and you can experience the quiet. Which is a welcome change. I had such a rough couple of months that, after a week, I was feeling more refreshed, even if it was just because the TV was a slightly different shade of beige than the one in my apartment.
Let's talk about the staff. Are they… helpful? Or just… there?
The staff... that's a mixed bag, honestly. Most of the folks are fine. They're doing their best. There was one woman, though, who was an absolute saint. Her name was Carol, I think. She remembered my name after my first stay. She was always friendly, and she went above and beyond to help me, even when I was being a total stressed-out mess. (Sorry, Carol, if you're reading this, I'm still grateful!) There were others, though... well, let's just say their customer service skills weren't exactly their superpower. Like the guy who seemed to only communicate through grunts. Or the one who looked perpetually exhausted (which, let's face it, I understood completely). So, yeah, it's a gamble. But most of the time, they were helpful enough. Just don't expect miracles.
Okay, back to the rooms. Cleanliness: How clean is clean?
Alright, let's address the elephant in the room: the cleanliness factor. This is the part that's going to require a deep breath. Okay, so... it's not a sterile environment. Let me put it that way. I'm a fairly laid-back person, but the first time, I definitely brought my own Lysol wipes. I did a *serious* clean. I get it, it's an extended-stay place, not a luxury hotel. But listen. Be prepared. I'm not saying it's *dirty*, but it's not pristine. It's more… lived-in. It's the kind of place where you might find a stray hair that's not yours. And, I've said it before, but bring your own towels (the provided ones, a little…thin). If you are particularly squeamish, this may not be the place for you. If you have a thing for a spotless hotel environment, well, lower your expectations or bring a Hazmat suit. I'm just saying. On the other hand, the lack of pretension does have an appeal.
Is it a good value? Would you recommend it? And, most importantly, would *you* go back?
Value? Yeah, it's decent. You get what you pay for, mostly. Would I recommend it? That depends on what you're looking for. If you're seeking luxury, pampering, or gourmet breakfasts, then absolutely not. If you need a place to crash for a few nights, need a reasonably-priced home base for exploring Philadelphia, or are escaping the plumbing apocalypse or your in-laws...then, yeah. I'd recommend it. Me? Would I go back? Well, I *have* gone back… twice now, so I guess you know the answer. It's not my dream vacation spot. But it's got a certain charm. And, sometimes, you just need a place to be. Even if that place is a slightly-worn-around-the-edges Extended Stay America in Glenside. Just pack your own coffee, alright?
Okay, specifics: Parking? Wifi? Laundry? Spill the beans!
Budget Travel Destination


Post a Comment for "Escape to Richmond: Your Perfect Glenside Getaway at Extended Stay America!"