
Escape to the Finger Lakes: Microtel Inn & Suites Awaits!
Escape to the Finger Lakes: Microtel Inn & Suites Awaits! - A Review That's Real (and Maybe a Little Crazy)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I just got back from a trip to the Finger Lakes, and let me tell you, it's a rollercoaster of beauty, wine, and… well, let's just say my stay at the Microtel Inn & Suites was… something. This isn't your polished, perfectly SEO'd travel brochure review. This is the raw, unvarnished truth, sprinkled with a healthy dose of “what the heck just happened?”
SEO & Metadata (because, you know, I gotta):
- Title: Microtel Finger Lakes Review: Accessibility, Amenities, & Honest Thoughts!
- Keywords: Microtel Inn & Suites, Finger Lakes, New York, Accessibility, Wheelchair Accessible, Free Wifi, Pool, Breakfast, Cleanliness, Safety, Family Friendly, Pet Friendly, Restaurants, Spa, Fitness Center, Travel Review, Hotel Review, Lake Life, Wine Country.
- Meta Description: A brutally honest review of the Microtel Inn & Suites in the Finger Lakes. Inside scoop on accessibility, amenities, breakfast, and whether it's worth your precious vacation time. (Spoiler: It's complicated.)
The Arrival: Curb Appeal… or Curb Alert?
First impressions? Well, the exterior… it’s a Microtel. You know the deal. Functional. Clean. Beige. I'm not expecting the Taj Mahal here, but I am looking for a place to crash after a day of wine tasting that doesn't smell like a wet dog convention.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag (Prepare to Get Specific, People!)
- Wheelchair Accessible: Okay, this is important, because I'm reviewing as if I was a person with mobility issues. The website said it was accessible, and yes, technically the ramps were there to access the building and the elevators worked. But and it is a BIG but, the hallways were kinda narrow. Like, pushing a hefty suitcase through during peak check-in hours might have been tricky. I saw a wheelchair accessible room…I'm guessing it was actually fine. I didn't need one myself, so I can't fully vouch for its usability.
- Facilities for Disabled Guests: They advertise this, and I assume it's there. But again… I need to see more. It would benefit the hotel greatly if they could showcase this stuff a little more in their marketing.
The Room: My Personal Sanctioned Zone
- Available in all rooms: Yes! We had air conditioning, a coffee/tea maker, a desk I actually used. It had a TV with satellite channels that worked and a mini-fridge.
- Free Wi-Fi! Thank goodness, I mean, c'mon, it's 2024! I needed to check my emails, research the local wineries, and mostly, just to stay in touch with the world. It was fast enough, which is all I ask.
- Cleanliness and Safety: Okay, this is where I get a little more… opinionated. The room looked clean… on the surface. I definitely did not find any questionable substances. But I'm not gonna lie, close inspection revealed a slight musty odor, as if the room hadn't been aired out in a while. The room had a smoke detector, a safe, etc.
- Room Sanitization Opt-Out Available: Good to know they offer this…but I didn't really see proof of professional-grade sanitizing. Not that I'm accusing them of anything, but I also wasn't blown away.
The Amenities - (Let's Be Honest, I Only Cared About One.)
Swimming Pool: This was my main goal. They promised an outdoor pool. And they delivered! It was clean. The water was a reasonable temperature. There were zero screaming children, thankfully. I could sit there with my book and not be bugged. Praise be! That and, the view wasn't bad either. It felt like a proper little escape.
Breakfast: Breakfast Buffet. And it was… a buffet. There were those prepackaged mini-muffins that never quite live up to their potential. There was some kind of scrambled egg-adjacent substance, the usual selection of carbs, and some fruit. I had a waffle. It was warm. I ate it. I moved on. Okay, the coffee was borderline.
Fitness Center/Gym/Sauna/Spa: Nope. None of it. I'm not sure if they have a gym ever.. I didn't see it. Who knows? I'm not a gym rat so I didn't look.
Internet: The internet was good, I should have mentioned that.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - The Hunger Games
- Restaurants/Bar/Snack Bar: Nope. Zero. Zip. Nada. You are on your own, folks. There's a vending machine with the usual suspects. You're better off stocking up at a local grocery store. The hotel does have, in a pinch, some tea and stuff.
- Alternative meal arrangement: None. Breakfast is breakfast, baby.
Services and Conveniences - The Fine Print
- Daily Housekeeping: Yes. And they did a good job. My bed was made, new towels. I can't complain.
- Front Desk [24-hour]: Yes. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially when I needed a taxi. They also gave me a water bottle when I was checking in.
- Laundry Service/Dry Cleaning: I didn't use it, but it's available.
- Cash Withdrawal/Currency Exchange/etc.: Not that I saw. But I suspect there is an ATM in the hotel.
For the Kids: (I Did Not Bring Any But I'm Pretending):
- Babysitting Service/Kids Facilities/Kids Meal: No. They're probably busy. This seems like a couples or solo-traveler type hotel. Okay for older kids, but not great for young ones.
Safety and Security - The Paranoid's Perspective
- CCTV in common areas/outside property: Honestly, I wasn't paying too much attention to this. But the general atmosphere felt safe. There's a security guard. But again, I wasn't particularly worried.
- Smoke Alarms/Fire Extinguishers: There. Good.
- Non-smoking rooms: Yes. Thank goodness.
Getting Around - The Road Less Traveled (Or, The Taxi Ride From Hell)
- Airport Transfer: No. You're on your own.
- Car Park [free of charge]/Valet parking: Yes. This is a free place to park. Excellent.
- Taxi service: The front desk can call one. But I had a truly memorable taxi experience. Let’s just say the driver’s GPS was… optimistic. We arrived, thankfully, and nothing bad happened.
The Verdict: Would I Go Back?
Okay, here's the bottom line: The Microtel Inn & Suites is fine. It's utilitarian. The pool is a definite plus. The price is right. It’s a solid base of operations for exploring the Finger Lakes. If you want luxury, go somewhere else. If you want to save a few bucks and focus on wine tasting and lake scenery, then, yes, this might work. I probably would go back. But… I'd definitely be bringing my own coffee pods and snacks. And maybe a can of air freshener. Be sure to research the accessibility options further. I also wonder if the staff is trained well enough in safety protocol for certain situations. So, there you have it. The messy, real, slightly neurotic truth about my Microtel adventure. Happy travels, everyone!
Escape to Paradise: Unforgettable Luxury at Fortress Resort & Spa, Unawatuna
Okay, buckle up buttercups. This isn't your pristine, perfectly-manicured travel itinerary. This is a diary of a trip to the Finger Lakes, based around a stay at that Microtel in Penn Yan. And let me tell you, it’s going to be… well, it's going to be ME.
Trip Title: Finger Lakes Fiasco (and Finding My Happy Place in a Tiny Motel Room)
Hotel: Microtel Inn & Suites Penn Yan Finger Lakes Region, Penn Yan, NY. (God bless you, Microtel, you're about to get the full emotional spectrum.)
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Wine-Induced Coma
- Morning (Pre-Trip Angst): Ugh. Packing. Always the bane of my existence. I swear, I overpack every single time, even when I tell myself "minimalist packing, you idiot!" Then I end up with three pairs of shoes, a book I won't touch, and enough "just in case" items to clothe a small army. The drive from [Insert Starting Point - you fill this in!] felt like an eternity, punctuated by pit stops that mainly involved questionable gas station coffee and the overwhelming urge to pee every twenty minutes. Note to self: Hydrate before the trip, not during.
- Afternoon Arrival – The Microtel Reality: Found the Microtel (yay!). It's… well, it's a Microtel. Clean enough, I guess. The lobby smelled faintly of chlorine and… maybe desperation? (Kidding! Sort of.) The check-in lady was remarkably chipper though. Gave me a keycard that probably hasn't seen a replacement in years. My room? Not bad. Two beds, a questionable TV, and the distinct aroma of "generic hotel air freshener." I already felt like peeling off my skin from the drive.
- Late Afternoon: Initial Finger Lakes Glimpse & Vineyard Hopping (Chaos Factor = High): The real reason I came: the wine! Armed with a half-baked plan and an utterly useless map (seriously, why are printed maps still a thing?), I hit the road. First stop: [Insert Vineyard 1 - you fill this in!]. The view? Spectacular. The wine? Okay, probably. My palate is not exactly sophisticated (I actually like my chardonnay super chilled, I can't help it). The conversations? A blur of "oohs" and "ahhs" about terroir that I just didn't feel in my bones.
- Evening: Wine-Induced Fuzzy Brain & Dinner Disaster: Wine-tasting, even with the designated driver who I had (THANK GOD) started to get real. I started to feel myself, enjoying the experience and the beauty of the place. Feeling good, I decided to get some dinner at that place recommended in the hotel brochure. Oh dear God. Let's just say, the "chef's special" involved rubbery chicken and a side of existential dread. I think the potatoes were made of sawdust. I ate, feeling more and more deflated. Ate. Ate. and drank. The thought struck me once again: travel alone is never fun.
- Night: The Bed, and the Quietest Sleep in Months: Collapsed back at the Microtel. The bed felt like heaven. The TV played some garbage reality show until I dozed off. Slept. So deeply. Which is probably just what I needed.
Day 2: Keuka Lake's Allure, and the Great Bathroom Incident of 2024
- Morning: Reconnecting with Nature: Woke up with a slight wine headache and a renewed sense of optimism. I took a real shower. The water pressure was surprisingly good, I'll give Microtel that. I have to say, it's probably that I am more relaxed so that's why I am seeing the world different. I actually found some energy to exercise.
- Mid-Morning: Keuka Lake's Serene Beauty: Decided to explore Keuka Lake. OMG. The stunning beauty of the lake actually moved me, it helped me forget about the dinner calamity. I drove along the scenic byway, gawking at the lakefront houses. I needed this, this made me feel good.
- Late Morning/Early Afternoon: The Bathroom Incident (Warning: Graphic Details Ahead!) Yeah, so… remember that "questionable TV" comment from yesterday? Well, the bathroom in my room was apparently in a full-on battle with the forces of plumbing chaos. Let's just say a minor, completely avoidable, incident turned into a minor flood. The carpet outside the bathroom? Soaked. The management? Surprisingly chill. They upgraded me to a slightly nicer room.
- Afternoon: Trying (and Failing) at Being Outdoorsy: Okay, I decided to try my hand at a hike on one of the trails around the lake. I fell. Face first. Scraped my knee. Gave up. Went back to the car. Defeated. I am not made for nature.
- Evening: Finding Comfort in the Familiar: Back at the Microtel. Ordered pizza. Watched bad TV. Found myself actually enjoying the quiet, the anonymity of it all. Ordered an extra large pizza. I actually felt good, no need to plan, no need to make friends, just me and the wall.
Day 3: Penn Yan's Charm and the Bitter Sweet Departure
- Morning: Penn Yan Exploration: Drove around Penn Yan. A cute little town, I guess. I bought a silly souvenir. Felt oddly content.
- Late Morning: Microtel Breakfast (the Horror!) The "complimentary" breakfast at the Microtel. shudders. Don't even get me started. The pre-packaged danishes were practically fossils. The "sausage"? I'm pretty sure it was made of repurposed… things I don't even want to think about. Scraped that off, and settled on a banana.
- Afternoon: The Great Departure: Packed up. Took one last look at the room. (Goodbye, slightly-less-than-pristine Microtel room! You were… memorable.) Said goodbye to the chipper lady one last time and hit the road.
- Evening: Reflection on the Road: The drive home was a blur of thoughts. Did I enjoy the trip? Parts of it. Some of it was a disaster. The food was questionable. The hiking? Nah. But there was a feeling of freedom. And maybe, just maybe, a little bit of self-discovery. Would I go back to the Finger Lakes? Probably. Would I stay at the Microtel again? Well… Maybe. It’s growing on me.
Final Assessment:
- Emotional Level: A rollercoaster. Joy, frustration, awe, boredom, existential questions. The whole shebang.
- Would I do it again? Ask me tomorrow. Right now, I'm going to go eat some good food. I'm going to go order some wine. I'm going to lay on my bed and enjoy the quiet.
- Final thought: Being a human is hard but beautiful, messy as it can get.
So there you have it. My Finger Lakes Fiasco. Remember, your trip is going to be different. Embrace the chaos. Embrace the bad food. Embrace the slightly-too-loud air conditioning. And most importantly? Embrace yourself. You are great!
Seattle's BEST Kept Secret: Bothell's Luxurious Residence Inn!
So, Microtel in the Finger Lakes... Worth It? Or Should I Run Screaming?
What's the Room REALLY Like? Like, Be Honest!
Is the Breakfast Actually Edible? (And Should I Even Bother?)
Okay, Okay, But What About the Location? Is it Actually a "Good Base"?
Is there a Pool? (Because, Pool.)
What’s the Wi-Fi Like? (Because, Internet Addiction, Right?)
Would You Stay There Again? Be Brutally Honest.


Post a Comment for "Escape to the Finger Lakes: Microtel Inn & Suites Awaits!"