Kolkata's Platinum Hotel: Luxury Redefined!

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Kolkata's Platinum Hotel: Luxury Redefined!

Platinum Hotel Kolkata: Luxury? Or Just a Shiny Exterior? A Deep Dive (And Maybe a Bit of a Tantrum)

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the chai on Kolkata's Platinum Hotel. "Luxury Redefined!" they boast. Let’s see if the reality matches the shiny brochure. This ain’t going to be your typical, sterile hotel review. I'm a human, with opinions, and let's just say, I've seen things. And eaten things. And possibly, muttered a few profanities under my breath. (Spoiler alert: the hotel might have provoked a few.)

Accessibility: The First Hurdle (And a Sigh)

First things first: accessibility. They claim to have "Facilities for disabled guests," which is great… in theory. Getting there via the airport transfer? Smooth as silk. But once you're inside, it's a slightly different story. The elevator worked, thank heavens. That's always a win. But navigating the corridors with a wheelchair (hypothetically, I didn’t bring one, thank the gods) seemed… like it could be tricky in places. I did see accessible rooms, but the true test? Well, I'm not exactly in a position to experience it firsthand, am I? So, a hesitant thumbs up to a claimed accessibility. More information is needed.

On-site Accessible Restaurants/Lounges & Wheelchair Accessible - Don't have enough data to decide on these - will probably miss a category in the report.

The Internet: Good (and Then Annoyingly Not Good)

Okay, let's talk internet. "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" they screamed from the website. And for the most part, it was true. Beautiful! I could stream from my Netflix account with no lag but on the second day, BAM! I was cut off. I called the front desk, and after a lengthy wait on hold, I was told to try again later. Later? Well, I needed to work! Not the ideal start to my morning. The Wi-Fi in public areas was even more spotty, cutting out just when I needed to send an Important work email. (The LAN connection? Didn't even touch it, who does that anymore?) Internet Services also claim to be available but I could never get it working. Oh well, I'll survive.

Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Spa Day! (Mostly Good!)

Alright, here's where things got interesting. The "spa/sauna/steamroom/pool with view" was the main selling point. I’m a sucker for a good steam room. So, I booked a massage.

Let me tell you, the “Body Scrub” was incredible. I mean, unbelievable. The therapist, a sweet woman named Mala, exfoliated years of city grime right off me. I'm talking a glorious, oil-slicked, smooth-as-butter experience. I wanted to hug her afterwards, but that might have been awkward. "Body wrap" was a bonus after because I felt amazing! But I did think about calling off the "Fitness center" - Gym/fitness. It was all very pretty and all of that but I just couldn't manage the energy. I also avoided the "Foot bath".

The "Pool with view"? Yeah, that was special. Think crystal clear water, infinity edge, overlooking… well, not the most stunning vista. But still pleasant. The "Sauna" and "Steamroom" were decent. Clean enough. The "Swimming pool" was what I said, lovely. I think I needed to get away from the hotel for awhile before I decided to write this review.

Cleanliness and Safety: Pandemic-Proofed (Mostly?)

They're definitely trying with the "Anti-viral cleaning products," "Daily disinfection in common areas," and "Rooms sanitized between stays." Everywhere, there was "Hand sanitizer." "Individually-wrapped food options" at breakfast. They even had "Masks provided" as the pandemic was ongoing. I saw "Staff trained in safety protocol", so there's that.

I did spot some dust bunnies in a certain corner of my room, so maybe, just maybe, the "Professional-grade sanitizing services" weren't quite as thorough as advertised? However, they are taking every precaution, they have a "Doctor/nurse on call" and a "First aid kit"

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food, Glorious Food (Mostly)

Alright, let’s talk food. The “Breakfast [buffet]" was the morning equivalent of a culinary free-for-all. "Asian breakfast," "Asian cuisine in restaurant" – a decent enough selection, with your typical breakfast basics: eggs (cooked to order, thankfully), an appalling attempt at bacon that tasted like dried cardboard, and some truly delicious fresh fruit. The "Western breakfast" options were… well, they existed. The "International cuisine in restaurant" was the focus, and I think that was a good call.

I ordered "Room service [24-hour]" once. The food arrived promptly, and with a smile… but the quality? Was slightly below average. The "Coffee/tea in restaurant" offered a pleasant morning ritual. "Desserts in restaurant" were not amazing but not awful.

The most disappointing part? The "Poolside bar". The drinks were expensive, the service was slow and the bartenders weren't exactly crafting cocktails, they were just mixing them. And the "Snack bar"? Let’s just say, I wasn’t particularly excited.

The bar itself? Nice atmosphere, good for a nightcap. They weren't offering a "Happy hour"

Services and Conveniences: The Good, the Meh, and the "Oh, Really?"

“Air conditioning in public area” – check. “Cash withdrawal” – check. “Concierge”: helpful enough, but not particularly proactive. "Daily housekeeping": mostly good, with the occasional, aforementioned dust bunny incident. "Elevator": yep, it worked. "Facilities for disabled guests": let's reiterate the accessibility issue. I think I'd be using the "Ironing service".

"Food delivery" – not really the hotel's remit, is it? "Ironing service" – available, thankfully, as my clothes looked like they’d been through the laundry. The "Meeting/banquet facilities" looked impressive. The "Smoking area" was tucked away, thankfully.

For the Kids: Didn't Check This One Out – Didn't have kids!

"Babysitting service" – I didn’t use it. "Family/child friendly" – seemed like it, though the pool area might get a bit crowded. "Kids meal" – probably available, but I'm not the target audience.

Getting Around: Easy Peasy

"Airport transfer"? Seamless. "Car park [free of charge]"? Yes. "Taxi service"? Readily available. I had no issues here.

Available in All Rooms: The Essentials (and Some Surprises)

"Air conditioning" – Hallelujah! "Alarm clock" – yep. "Bathrobes" – oh yes. "Bathtub" – check. "Blackout curtains" – essential for sleep. "Coffee/tea maker" – crucial for survival. "Complimentary tea" – always a plus. "Daily housekeeping" – mostly good. "Desk" – for all that important work. "Extra long bed" – yay for comfort! "Free bottled water" – a lifesaver. "Hair dryer" – a must. "In-room safe box" – always good. "Internet access – wireless" – see earlier rant. "Ironing facilities" – check. "Mini bar" – stocked (and expensive). "Non-smoking" – thankfully. "Private bathroom" – obviously. "Refrigerator" – useful. "Satellite/cable channels" – plenty to choose from. "Seating area" – nice. "Separate shower/bathtub" – luxurious. "Shower" – works. "Slippers" – comfy. "Soundproofing" – mostly effective. "Telephone" – yes. "Toiletries" – provided. "Towels" – plenty. "Wake-up service" – reliable. "Wi-Fi [free]" – when it works. "Window that opens" – lovely, for fresh air.

The Imperfections: The Little Things That Add Up (and Annoy)

Okay, here’s the truth: there were a few minor annoyances. The lighting in my room was a bit… dim. The selection of TV channels was a bit repetitive. And the constant background music in the lobby was a little grating after a while. (I did call the front desk about that too but nothing ever changed.)

The Verdict: Luxury? Well…

The Platinum Hotel, Kolkata? It’s not a bad hotel. It's got the basics covered, and some pretty nice extras. The spa is a highlight, the staff are generally friendly, and the rooms are comfortable. But the internet issues, the occasional chintzy detail, and the overall feeling of… well, not quite exceeding expectations, means it falls short of true "luxury." Is it worth it for the price? I'm not entirely convinced. I probably wouldn't refuse to go back, but I’d be going in with my eyes open. Maybe bring a portable Wi-Fi router. And definitely book that massage. You'll need it after dealing

Luxury Staycation: Chicago's Hidden Gem - SpringHill Suites Lincolnshire!

Book Now

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Alright, Buckle up, Buttercups, because my Kolkata adventure at Hotel Platinum is about to get REAL. Forget those sterile, "perfect" itineraries you probably see online. Mine's gonna be more like a chaotic, delicious, spicy plate of biryani – with a few burnt bits, a forgotten piece of masala here and there, and a whole lot of glorious mess.

The Unofficial, Totally Unfiltered Hotel Platinum Kolkata Itinerary: (aka My Attempt to Embrace Calcutta Chaos)

Day 1: Arrival and Instant Culture Shock (aka "Help! I'm Lost… and Loving it!")

  • Morning (7:00 AM - 11:00 AM): Arrive at Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport. Let the sensory overload BEGIN! Honestly, the humidity hits you like a warm, giant hug. A sweaty, fragrant hug. The taxi ride to Hotel Platinum… well, let’s just say Google Maps became my new best frenemy. The driving here is… an experience. (Translation: Hold on tight! And pray to whatever deity you believe in.)
  • My First Kolkata Observation: The sheer number of people. Everywhere. Like, a biblical flood of humanity. And everyone’s smiling! Or maybe just looking resigned to their fate. Either way, it’s… captivating.
  • Afternoon (11:00 AM - 2:00 PM): Check into Hotel Platinum. The room is decent, could use a little TLC in the cleanliness department, but honestly, I'm too overwhelmed by the day so far to care that much. I promptly collapse on the bed, contemplating ordering room service and never leaving. Which, I will admit, crossed my mind.
  • Lunch (2:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Forced myself to go out for a bite. Found a hole-in-the-wall place a few blocks from the hotel. Ordered something with a name I couldn't pronounce (probably the best decision of my life). The flavors exploded in my mouth! I think I almost cried. Then, felt the first rumblings in my stomach that may or may not have been from the food.
  • Afternoon Rambles (3:00 PM - 6:00 PM): The hotel is in a pretty central location, and I decided I'd try to walk some of the immediate surrounding areas. Walked to a market for some early evening shopping.
  • Dinner (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM): Back at the hotel. The food was… okay. (Hotel food, am I right?) I swear, I saw a cockroach scurry under a table at the restaurant. Didn't say anything. What could you do? (Also, if anyone knows where I can get some proper anti-cockroach spray… hit me up).
  • Evening (8:00 PM - Bedtime): Attempting to sleep. The street noise is relentless, but somehow, it's also… kind of comforting? The sheer energy of this city is exhausting, and also, oddly, invigorating. Finally, sleep.

Day 2: The Thrill of the Tram and the Joy of Jhalmuri (aka "My Stomach's Doing a Happy Dance")

  • Morning (8:00 AM - 11: AM): Breakfast at Hotel Platinum. The "continental" option looked… well, let's just say it was an experience in itself. I went for the puri bhaji. Which was amazing. Then, the day was saved!
  • Morning/Afternoon (11:00 AM - 2:00 PM): The Tram Ride! The city's old trams were one of the main reasons I came to Calcutta!. So charming! Found a line near the hotel, hopped on, and prayed I wouldn't get jostled off. The ride was a slow, bumpy, glorious journey through the city. I got off with a few moments of awe.
  • Lunch (2:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Tracked down a street vendor selling Jhalmuri, and WOW. Just, WOW. This is a moment I swear I'll never forget. The crispy puffed rice, the spices, the tamarind chutney… heaven. I ate two portions and considered asking for a third(regretted it a bit later).
  • Afternoon (3:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Victoria Memorial. It was gorgeous! I walked through the lush gardens and really just took in the moment. The architecture is just stunning.
  • Dinner (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM): Decided to go BIG and brave a restaurant. I went a bit outside the hotel and found a restaurant that was a bit more upscale. The food was good, but nothing compared to that damn Jhalmuri.
  • Evening (8:00 PM - Bedtime): Writing this, reflecting on how much this city has captured my imagination, and wondering what tomorrow holds.

Day 3: The Intensity of Mother Teresa's Home and Chaotic Shopping (aka "Spicy Food Regrets and Finding My Inner Bargain-Hunter")

  • Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Visited Mother Teresa's Home. (Mother House). It was a profound and moving experience. I wish I had words to describe it.
  • Lunch (12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): The food at the Hotel Platinum restaurant wasn't really cutting it in my opinion. I opted not to eat at the hotel restaurant, despite the convenience. I took a walk to a smaller restaurant and ordered a good biryani, which was delicious!
  • Afternoon (1:00 PM- 4:00 PM): Shopping! I went to New Market. I’m not sure I have words to describe the sheer depth of the market. A madhouse! I dove in, and the experience was exhilarating. The bargaining felt a bit like a sport. I think I made some new friends, too.
  • Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Found a Tea Shop, and decided to take a break. That was the best decision.
  • Dinner (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM): I was feeling a bit adventurous and went to a local street vendor for dinner. I went easy, and I'm happy I did.
  • Evening (8:00 PM - Bedtime): A little late, but still up, and ready for a good night's sleep.

Day 4: Farewell Kolkata! (aka "I'm Leaving, But Part of Me is Staying Behind.")

  • Morning (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Final Breakfast at Hotel Platinum. One last puri bhaji for the road (and a silent prayer that my stomach would cooperate on the flight home).
  • Morning (9:00 AM - 11:00 AM): Final stroll through the area. I bought a few last-minute souvenirs. I’m probably going to regret not buying more.
  • Afternoon (11:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Check out of Hotel Platinum, and say my good-byes.
  • Afternoon (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): The ride to the airport. One last, sweaty, unforgettable ride.
  • Evening (4:00 PM Onward): Departure. On the plane, and looking back at the city. It's a mess, it's overwhelming, it's exhausting… and I absolutely, completely, and utterly loved it. I'm definitely coming back.

Final Thoughts:

Hotel Platinum was fine. The AC worked, the staff was friendly enough, and the location was pretty good. But the true heart of this trip wasn't the hotel itself. It was the chaos, the smells, the food, the people, and the relentless energy of Kolkata. This city is a wild, beautiful, frustrating, and utterly addictive experience. And I wouldn’t have traded it for anything. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to find some antacids and start planning my return.

Escape to Tacoma: HomeTowne Studios' Puyallup Paradise Awaits!

Book Now

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Hotel Platinum Kolkata IndiaOkay, here's a messy, honest, funny, and human FAQ for Kolkata's Platinum Hotel: "Luxury Redefined!" (let's see if they live up to the hype... and my expectations!)

Platinum Hotel: Luxury? Or Just… Shiny? A Very Unofficial FAQ (Because Seriously, I Needed This)

Alright, let's get this show on the road. What's the *real* deal with the Platinum Hotel? Is it actually... platinum?

Look, first things first: I went in expecting gold toilet seats and a butler named Jeeves. (Dream big, right?) "Platinum" is clearly aspirational. I mean, the lobby *is* sparkly. Like, seriously sparkly. Think Vegas meets… well, Kolkata. It's glitzy, alright. Whether it's actually "platinum" in terms of the experience? That's where things get interesting. It depends on your definition of luxury, honestly. If you're looking for pure, unadulterated bling... you're in the right place. If you are looking for subtle, understated elegance I would consider other options, because this can overwhelm you. I love understated elegance!

Okay, so let's cut to the chase. Are the rooms any good? Because that's kinda important, isn't it?

The rooms... ah, the rooms. I stayed in a 'Deluxe Suite'. It was… spacious. Like, I could’ve held a small dance party in the living area spacious. The bed? Heavenly. Honestly, best sleep I've had in ages. The bathroom? Marble. All the marble. Maybe a *little* too much marble, if I'm being brutally honest. It felt slightly cold and hospital-ish, despite the massive, almost too powerful shower. And get this: no, I repeat, *no* USB charging ports. In this day and age! Had to hunt for an adapter like some kind of tech scavenger. Come on, Platinum! Update your game! And the AC? Brutally efficient. Bring a sweater, even in the Kolkata heat! I am not sure if this is luxury.

Was the service actually… good? Because I have standards (or thought I did).

Service is a mixed bag. The staff is *eager* to please. Bless their hearts. They're generally polite and go out of their way to help. But the execution… sometimes it's a little… off. One time, I ordered room service (because, hello, luxury!). I asked for a specific dish. What arrived? Something… vaguely similar. I mean, it was edible. But not what I ordered. Then there was a mix-up with my laundry. (Okay, maybe I didn't need *that* many shirts washed anyway…) Look, they try, and the intentions are good, but there’s room for improvement. There's a real disconnect, it seems, between the training and the actual delivery.

The food! Tell me about the food! Because I live to eat!

Ah, the food. Here, finally, is a strong positive. The breakfast buffet? Decent. It's certainly abundant. Everything from the parathas to the continental stuff. The rooftop restaurant "Altitude" is good. It's supposed to be "fine dining" but it's a bit more of a casual affair. The food is generally good, but the view... that’s the real star. The views! The views are to die for! That is the best part! It is a must do, even if the meal is not perfection.

Okay, spilling the tea: What's the one thing you'll *never* forget about your stay?

The *bathtub*. Seriously. The bathtub in my suite was, I kid you not, enormous. Like, designed-for-a-small-family enormous. It was made of more marble, naturally. I spent a significant portion of my stay *in* that tub. Bubbles, bath salts (brought my own, obviously), the works. One evening, I was luxuriating, reading a book with a glass of wine (classy, I know). And suddenly... the water started getting freezing. Like, arctic-circle freezing. Turns out, the hot water had… given up the ghost. Completely. I frantically called down to the front desk, swathed in bubbles and feeling utterly ridiculous. The staff were super apologetic and rushed to fix it, but the image of me in that giant, freezing tub will forever be etched in my memory. True Luxury, right?

Would you go back? Be honest!

Hmm... that's a tough one. Probably. The bed was amazing, that view from Altitude is worth it, and the tub *was* epic (even for freezing-water reasons). I would temper my expectations, though. I’d go back understanding that its luxury has a few wrinkles, perhaps a tiny bit more style than substance. It’s not *perfect*, by any means. But it's certainly not boring, that's for sure! And that's a start! I would go again just for the view!

What are the best things about the Platinum Hotel?

Okay, the *best* things? The view from the rooftop restaurant. Seriously, breathtaking. The super comfortable beds. The spacious rooms, which is a good thing, and the super eager staff. That bathtub! Oh, and the location is pretty decent for seeing the city.

What are the worst things about the Platinum Hotel?

The inconsistent service. The occasionally underwhelming food. The (possibly overdone) bling. The lack of USB ports. The water getting freezing in the bathtub. And I think the prices are too high, given the imperfections. It's a lot of money!

Any final thoughts?

Go in with your eyes open. Prepare for a mixed bag. Embrace the sparkle. Bring a sweater. And maybe pack a bubble bath. Just, you know, test the hot water first. Repeatedly. Seriously, though: enjoy Kolkata! It's an amazing city.

Chicstayst

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Hotel Platinum Kolkata India

Post a Comment for "Kolkata's Platinum Hotel: Luxury Redefined!"