
Escape to Paradise: The Sun Hotel, Sidoarjo's Hidden Gem!
Escape to Paradise? The Sun Hotel, Sidoarjo – A Review (Messy & Honest!)
Okay, here we go. Reviewing a hotel… it's like trying to describe a dream you had. You're chasing a feeling, a moment, a decent cup of coffee. So, buckle up, because this isn't your average, polished travel guide. This is the messy, real deal about the Sun Hotel in Sidoarjo, East Java. Let's be real, sometimes paradise needs a little… polish.
Metadata & SEO Stuff (Gotta appease the bots!): Sun Hotel Sidoarjo Review, Escape to Paradise, Indonesia Hotels, Sidoarjo Accommodation, Wheelchair Accessible Hotels, Free Wi-Fi Hotels, Spa Hotels, Swimming Pool Hotels, Family-Friendly Hotels, Best Hotels East Java, Hotels with Restaurants, Conference Facilities, Car Parking, Airport Transfer, Sidoarjo Travel.
Right, now the important stuff…
First Impression: The Arrival Rant (or, the Art of Indonesian Hospitality)
Landing in Sidoarjo, a place I'd only ever heard whispered about in hushed tones (okay, that's a lie, I had no idea), was a blur. The airport transfer was thankfully smooth (thank goodness, because navigating Indonesian traffic after a long flight is a test of your soul, seriously). The hotel chain affiliation… well, I didn’t quite catch it, but it felt kinda…local.
The car park [on-site] was a welcome sight, and the lack of a fee made the car park [free of charge] even sweeter. Valet parking was available, which I'm too lazy to use normally, but after that flight? Yeah, sign me up. The front desk [24-hour] was staffed with genuinely friendly faces – the Indonesian kind. They're naturally friendly, you know? The kind that makes you feel like you're the only person in the world, even though a hundred other people are probably waiting in line. But… and this is a tiny but very me thing… the check-in was… a little slow. I'm used to speed, and I was dying for coffee, after two days of traveling. The details took a bit longer than I'd like, but I was greeted with a lovely, refreshing welcome drink– and so I forgave them. This is the start of something good right?
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag
Alright, I'll be frank. I didn't actually need the wheelchair accessible perks, but I always like to see how a place caters for everyone. The elevators seemed fine. It was a bit tough to ascertain to the absolute status, but I saw no major red flags. I also didn't see a ton of specifically designed accommodations but that's for the seasoned guests to let me know.
Rooms: Comfort & Quirks
My room? Decent. Not jaw-dropping, but comfortable. The air conditioning blasted cold air, perfect for escaping the Indonesian humidity. The blackout curtains were a lifesaver – seriously, sleep is a precious commodity. The bed? Pretty comfy, the extra-long bed was a bonus, as I'm a tall gal. The bathroom felt a little dated but clean. The separate shower/bathtub was a real joy in a hotel of this class. The slippers were a nice touch, but…I had to get my own coffee, which was a bit of a pain. Free complimentary tea was nice, but instant coffee just isn't the same. The free bottled water was appreciated - dehydration is a real travel hazard.
The Wi-Fi [free] was pretty solid, by the way. The Internet access- wireless was good. The Internet access – LAN was also offered, but I'm not even sure I know how to use that anymore. Alarm clock and desk were present and accounted for. I loved the mirror and the hair dryer.
The "Things to Do" & "Ways to Relax" Rundown:
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: The Swimming pool was really beautiful. It really was the highlight. The pool with view was amazing, especially at sunset. I spent way too much time chilling there - and no regrets.
- Gym/fitness: I, uh, skipped the fitness center, I'll be honest. After all that eating and laying by the pool? No chance.
- Spa: I was told the Spa was decent. I just didn't have time.
- Massage: Again, I wanted to, but time slipped away.
- Sauna, Steamroom: I did see a Spa/sauna, but I didn't actually go. See that theme?
- Body scrub, Body wrap: I actually missed these.
- Sauna: Saw it, didn't use it.
- Fitness center: I can't even.
- Couple's room: I did see that this was available, along with other Meeting/banquet facilities.
Dining, Drinking & Snacking: Food, Glorious (and Sometimes Chaotic) Food
Okay, let's talk food. The Breakfast [buffet] was… an experience. A glorious, slightly chaotic experience. The Asian breakfast was on point. You had your Asian cuisine in restaurant, your Western breakfast…you name it. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was… better than the instant coffee in the room, thankfully.
There were a bunch of restaurants and a coffee shop. I had a decent meal, A la carte in restaurant style. It was nothing amazing, but it filled a hole. The desserts in restaurant were pretty good. I also tried the soup in restaurant.
The Room service [24-hour] was a lifesaver at times. I'm a sucker for Happy hour. The Poolside bar was great for chilling with a mocktail. The Snack bar was perfect for a quick bite.
Cleanliness, Safety & The COVID-19 Dance
The hotel was trying hard on the hygiene front. Loads of Hand sanitizer everywhere. Daily disinfection in common areas, Individually-wrapped food options are always a plus. There were signs about Physical distancing of at least 1 meter everywhere, but…let's be honest, some of the guests weren't always following them. The hygiene measures seemed well intentioned, even if it was difficult to actually sanitize.
Services & Conveniences: The Essentials and Then Some
- Concierge: Helpful for booking tours or taxis.
- Cash withdrawal: Essential for travel.
- Daily housekeeping: Rooms sparkle, so bonus points.
- Laundry service and dry cleaning: Super convenient.
- Elevator: Crucial for navigating the hotel.
- Luggage storage: Perfect for early departures.
- Convenience store: Good for snacks and essentials.
- Hair dryer: Again, this is a blessing.
For the Kids (I haven't got any, but I noticed):
Babysitting service? Yes! Family/child friendly? Absolutely. Kids meal? Possible? Can't verify the specifics, though.
Getting Around (and Out):
Car park [free of charge]: Huge plus. Airport transfer: Smooth journey. Taxi service: Available.
The Oddities That Make You Remember:
- Shrine: I think I spotted a shrine? Honestly, I was so focused on the pool.
- Non-smoking rooms seemed to be available, which is always a plus.
- I saw a few Exterior corridor rooms.
- Pets allowed unavailable - this is a shame, not everything is perfect.
- I didn't encounter any Smoking area but I'm sure there was one.
The Verdict: Worth Escaping To?
The Sun Hotel in Sidoarjo isn't perfect. It's not a five-star experience, and it occasionally shows its age. But it's clean, comfortable, and the staff is genuinely lovely. Plus, that pool is amazing. If you're looking for a relaxing escape, and don't mind a few minor imperfections, then yes, it's worth a visit. It made the trip worthwhile and I can't complain.
Final Rating: 7.5/10. Mostly because of the pool and the friendly staff. Consider me… pleased.
Escape to St. Louis: Your Westport Oasis Awaits! (La Quinta Inn)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. This is… my attempt at survival (and maybe a little fun) at The Sun Hotel in Sidoarjo, Surabaya, Indonesia. Send prayers (and maybe a few Bintang Radlers) my way. This is gonna be a ride.
The Sun Hotel Sidoarjo Surabaya: A Chaotic Symphony (Or, "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Buffet")
(Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread - Surabaya Style)
6:00 AM (ish) - Wake Up! (or, more accurately, Blearily Unravel): Look, I tried to set an alarm, but my sleep schedule is currently “chaotic toddler.” The jet lag has already taken a firm grip. I'm pretty sure my brain is running on Indonesian time, which is to say, a fluid concept.
6:45 AM - The Breakfast Barrage: Okay, so the hotel buffet. This is where the true test of character begins. My initial thought? "Wow, the sheer quantity is intimidating." My second? "Is that… fried tempeh? Okay, now we're talking." I ate three plates. I judge you not. The coffee, however, resembled something brewed in a rusty drainpipe. Swallowed it anyway. Survival, people. Survival.
8:00 AM - The Room: A Questionable Oasis: Alright, the room. It’s… clean-ish. The AC is roaring like a dragon, probably burning through electricity like it's going out of style. And the view? Let's just say it overlooks… something. Maybe a carpark. Maybe a distant, slightly melancholic cow. Details, details.
8:30 AM - The Toilet Seat Incident: Okay, this is where things got real. I'm not sure what happened. I just sat down, and… SNAP. The toilet seat gave way. I swear, I'm not that heavy. I blame the jet lag. Now I'm left to sit on the ceramic rim. The humiliation! 😅
9:00 AM - The Pool: A Glimmer of Hope (Maybe): The hotel pool. It's…turquoise-ish. The water looks clean, and there are a few determined souls splashing around. I considered joining them. I mean, maybe a swim could wash away the toilet seat trauma. Actually, the sun is a little too scorching, and I did notice a kid spit in the water. I will avoid it.
11:00 AM - The Struggle is Real: I'm already experiencing the "nap is life" phase of jet lag. This is the moment in which your body says, "NO. We are not doing this."
12:00 PM - Lunch at the Hotel Restaurant: The Nasi Goreng Adventure: Ordered Nasi Goreng. Standard, right? Nope. This Nasi Goreng was something. The spices were a bit… aggressive. My mouth is on fire, my eyes are watering, and I'm pretty sure I saw a small, rogue chili pepper wink at me. Success.
1:00 PM - Forced Nap: The Nasi Goreng has defeated me and so has jet lag.
4:00 PM - Exploring Time: I feel good.
5:00 PM - Searching for Local Gems: Now, I'm determined to find something, anything that's not touristy. I decide to wander the streets of Sidoarjo, hoping to stumble upon some hidden gem. After a little wandering around I found a local warung, with a friendly vendor selling tempe mendoan. This is what I came here for.
7:00 PM - The Evening: I will continue to live.
(Day 2: Culture Shocks and Culinary Triumphs (and a little more bathroom drama))
6:00 AM (ish) - Back at it again…: The morning person in me has disappeared.
6:45 AM - Breakfast Round Two: I am familiar with the layout and the fried tempeh.
8:00 AM - Getting Out of The Room: I'm determined to visit the nearby places today.
9:00 AM - The bathroom saga, continued: Okay, so I thought the toilet situation couldn't get worse. I was wrong. I didn't want a shower in the morning and found that there was no hot water at all.
10:00 AM - A Local Market Adventure: I, armed with Google Translate and a healthy dose of optimism, ventured into the local market. The smells! The chaos! The vibrant colors! It was glorious. I haggled (badly) for some spices that I definitely won't know what to do with, but hey, it's the experience that counts.
11:00 AM - Food Stands: It's hard to resist the food stalls. The aroma of satay wafted through the air, pulling me into its magnetic field. I ate some chicken satay and drank a mango smoothie. The food was amazing.
12:00 PM - Lunch at the Hotel Restaurant: Going Back to the Nasi Goreng: It was a mistake. The fiery pain returned. My face is still red, but I am alive.
1:00 PM - The Battle for Wifi: Okay, so the hotel wifi is a joke. I'm pretty sure I could have a faster connection using carrier pigeons. I might actually try that next time.
3:00 PM - The Spa: I am going for an Indonesian massage. Maybe if I relax, I can think about the toilet seats from yesterday.
5:00 PM - Heading Home: I'm going to take a nice long shower, even if I now have to take cold showers. I can do this.
7:00 PM - Quiet Night: I am going to embrace sleep.
(Day X: The Departure (Pray for Me))
6:00 AM (ish) - The End is Near: Time to say goodbye.
6:45 AM - Last Breakfast Barrage: I am going to miss this.
7:00 AM - Pack Up: I'm sure my luggage will be at 100 pounds weight because of all the food.
Unknown Time - The Airport. The Escape.
The Verdict? The Sun Hotel? It's… an experience. It’s not perfect, it’s a bit chaotic, and the bathroom situation is, to put it mildly, challenging. But you know what? I’m still here. And amidst all the minor catastrophes and spicy food, there have been moments of pure, unadulterated magic. Did I find a hidden paradise? Not exactly. Did I get closer to understanding Indonesian culture? Maybe a tiny bit. Did I survive? So far, yes. And honestly, that’s enough for me. Now, where’s that Bintang?

Escape to Paradise: The Sun Hotel, Sidoarjo - Ugh, or Actually... Wow? (FAQ Edition)
Okay, spill. Is "Paradise" a bit… much? Because, let's be real, Sidoarjo.
Alright, alright, I'll confess. "Paradise" is a bold claim. Especially when you're factoring in, you know, the proximity to things that give off a slight… industrial aroma (you know the type). But here's the truth: I went in with *very* low expectations, and I emerged... pleasantly surprised. Like, genuinely surprised. This place is a bit like finding a really good, hidden gem at a flea market. You gotta dig, but the payoff can be worth it. It's not Bali, people, but it *is* a decent escape if you're stuck in the Sidoarjo orbit, for sure.
The Room: Sleek & Chic or More "Budget Motel Accident?"
Okay, the room. This is where it gets *slightly* messy. I booked a standard room, thinking ‘minimalist and maybe slightly depressing’. It was… not depressing, thankfully. The décor? Modern enough. Clean enough. The bathroom? Actually pretty decent! But (and this is a big ‘but’), the 'view' from my window was… well, let’s just say it wasn’t postcard-worthy, unless you're a fan of rooftop air conditioning units. I asked to have it changed, because I felt like I needed to see some nature! They kindly changed it - and this is a plus for the staff, they are very nice. The new room was much better, but I had to wait and it was a bit of a faff - but hey, it was fixed!
The Pool: Insta-Worthy or Chlorine Overload?
Ah, the pool. My initial thought? "This is where it all falls apart." Pools at these types of places are often...a bit suspect. I'm talking cloudy water, questionable tiles, and the lingering scent of a thousand kids' pee. I eyed it with suspicion for a good few hours. Then I gave in. And you know what? It was... decent! Clean, refreshing (thank GOD it was hot!). The pool area is a highlight, really. Sunbeds, enough space to swim properly, and that little bar... Yes, the bar... more on that later (promise).
The Food: Worth the Calories or Emergency Noodles?
Okay, so the food. This is another area where my expectations were rock bottom. Hotel food? Usually, a guaranteed route to a slightly disappointed stomach. The breakfast buffet? Okay, it was standard fare - eggs, toast, some suspiciously colorful Indonesian dishes. But the *a la carte* menu... that's where the magic happened! I ordered the Nasi Goreng. And oh. My. God. It was incredible! Perfectly cooked. Seriously good. I actually went back and ordered it again for dinner that night. Okay, maybe I’m a bit of a basic foodie, I'll admit that, but I was obsessed. It was that good. The other food I tried was all pretty damned good too. I was impressed. Still dreaming of that Nasi Goreng...
The Bar: Booze, Beats, and Bedlam? Or Just... Booze?
The bar. Now, this is a crucial element of *any* escape, am I right? The Sun Hotel's bar is strategically placed by the pool (genius). It's not fancy, it's not pretentious, but it's got character. Cold Bintangs on tap - check. Good cocktails - surprisingly, check! The staff? Super friendly and accommodating. I had a minor crisis involving a spilled drink (my fault, clearly) and they were nothing but smiles and a quick towel. They even made me a backup cocktail! The atmosphere? Relaxed, a few other guests enjoying the sunshine, not too loud. It was the perfect place to wind down. I might have stayed there a little longer than planned... Don't judge me.
The Staff: Angels or Awkward Interactions?
Honestly? The staff were fantastic. Consistently friendly, helpful, and genuinely seemed to care about making your stay enjoyable. They were more than happy to help with recommendations (which helped when it came to seeing things outside of the hotel), and they were patient with my terrible Indonesian. They truly made the experience. I’d give them a solid 10/10. Seriously, they deserve a medal. Or, you know, at least a really good tip.
Getting There: Is it Easy Peasy or a Nightmare Before Christmas?
Getting to the Sun Hotel? It’s easy. Ridiculously easy. It’s in a pretty accessible location (once you're *in* Sidoarjo, of course, which can be a mission in itself). Taxis and ride-sharing services have no problem dropping you off. Simple. Phew.
What's the "Vibe" Overall? Romantic Getaway? Family Fun? Solo Chill?
The Sun Hotel is a good all-rounder, but let’s be real, this is not a romantic getaway hotspot. It’s not super suited to kids, either. From what I saw, it's more of a solo chill spot, maybe a quick escape for a couple, someone on business, or, like me, someone just needing a break from reality (and the daily grind!). It’s laid-back, not too noisy, and generally quite relaxed. The *vibe* is positive, but also not trying to be anything it's not. Which, frankly, is refreshing.
Would You Go Back? And More Importantly... SHOULD I?
Okay, the million-dollar question. Would *I* go back? Yes. Absolutely. Especially for that Nasi Goreng. I'm actually already plotting my return! Should *YOU* go? That depends. If you're expecting luxury, five-star pampering, and a view of the Maldives, you'll be disappointed. But if you're looking for a surprisingly decent escape, a clean and comfortable room, a great pool, friendly staff, and (crucially) incredible food - then yes! Give it a shot. It might surprise you. And hey, even if it doesn't, you can always drown your sorrows in a cold Bintang by the pool – it's what I would do!


Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: The Sun Hotel, Sidoarjo's Hidden Gem!"