
Escape to Paradise: MO2 Westown Hotel's Unforgettable San Juan Getaway
Escape to Paradise: MO2 Westown Hotel's Unforgettable San Juan Getaway - Or Was It…? (A Messy Review)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to unleash a brutally honest take on the MO2 Westown Hotel in San Juan, Philippines. This wasn't just a vacation; it was a quest for paradise, complete with questionable choices, unexpected joys, and the persistent feeling that I'd forgotten something important – like, maybe, a decent travel pillow.
(SEO & Metadata Alert! Keywords: MO2 Westown Hotel, San Juan, Philippines, Hotel Review, Accessible Hotel, Spa, Pool, Restaurant, San Juan Travel, Filipino Hospitality, Unforgettable Stay, Not So Unforgettable Stay, Hotel Experience, Wi-Fi, Accessibility, Cleanliness, Safety, Dining, Services, Rooms)
Arrival and (Maybe a Little) Accessibility:
First impression? The lobby was… well, let's call it "efficient." Not overflowing with personality, but clean, with that antiseptic hotel smell (which, in these COVID times, I guess is comforting). They do have an elevator, which is a massive win for accessibility! ( Accessibility: Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests - check and check!) I saw some ramps around, too. Now, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I appreciate the thought. However, navigating to my room felt a bit like a maze. They could really use clearer signage. And seriously, finding the entrance requires a freaking GPS… I'm not sure I'd call it fully wheelchair-friendly everywhere, but the basics seemed to be there.
(Rambling Alert!) I'm a sucker for a good hotel entrance. You know, the kind that just screams "Welcome to paradise!" This one was more like a muted, "Uh, you're here. Now, find your way."
The Room: A Tale of Two Halves (and a Crappy View)
The room itself? (Available in all rooms: Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens)
Pretty standard. Clean-ish. The bed was comfy enough, though the "extra-long bed" felt more like "slightly-longer-than-average bed" to my six-foot frame. The Wi-Fi (Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet access – wireless, Wi-Fi [free]) was thankfully, actually free and mostly functional. (I say "mostly" because there were a few frustrating moments of buffering while trying to stream my guilty pleasure: bad 80s action movies - which, by the way, they did have on On-demand movies!). The blackout curtains were clutch for sleeping in, and the air conditioning blasted a cool Arctic breeze. A lifesaver in the San Juan heat!
But the view? Oh, the view. It was of… another building. And a particularly uninspiring one at that. Heartbreak. I should've paid extra for a pool view (Pool with view - which, ironically, I couldn't see from my room!).
(Quirky Reaction!) The bathroom phone? Seriously? Does anyone actually use those anymore? It felt like something out of a museum exhibit.
Dining, Drinking, and a Near-Miss with the Buffet:
Let's talk food, shall we? The hotel has a few options. There's the main Restaurants (A la carte in restaurant, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant) restaurant, and a Poolside bar. (Poolside bar) I attempted the buffet. It was… an experience. The breakfast buffet was… a buffet. Think scrambled eggs that looked suspiciously like yellow rubber, and bacon that had the consistency of cardboard. I bravely sampled some Asian breakfast options, which were infinitely better (thank goodness!). The coffee? Stay away from it. Seriously. Go to the coffee shop they have. (Thank God for Coffee shop!)
I did venture into the Poolside bar for a happy hour drink. The cocktails were surprisingly good, and the vibe was pretty chill.
(Emotional Reaction!) I almost had a full-blown meltdown at the buffet. The sheer disappointment! The injustice! I was starving. I ended up just ordering avocado toast, a lifesaver.
Relaxation Station: Spa Dreams (and Damp Realities)
Okay, this is where the hotel almost redeemed itself. The Spa (Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Steamroom) looked promising. I booked a massage. It was… decent. Not the mind-blowing, transcendent spa experience I’d hoped for, but relaxing enough. The Sauna and Steamroom were a welcome treat. The changing rooms, however, could have used a good scrub. The whole area needed a little TLC.
(More Rambling!) I imagined myself in a gorgeous, sun-drenched spa. This wasn't quite that, but the massage did knock me out for a nap, so, small victories!
Cleanliness and (Mostly) Safety:
In fairness, the MO2 Westown seemed to be taking **Cleanliness and safety (Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment, rooms sanitized between stays) seriously. Hand sanitizer was *everywhere.* The staff seemed masked up and generally well-behaved. The room was cleaned meticulously (as far as I could tell). The *Safety/security feature*, and *CCTV in common areas and outside property* made me feel a little more secure.
(Imperfections and Anecdotes!) One day, while I was sipping tea and watching the news, I spotted a housekeeper doing the rounds of the rooms on my floor. She was thoroughly cleaning the rooms. That restored my faith in the professionalism of the service.
Services and Conveniences: The Good, the Okay, and the Questionable
The Services and conveniences (Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center) were a mixed bag.
The Good: Daily housekeeping was a godsend. The concierge was helpful (when available). The Contactless check-in/out was super easy. Having a Convenience store on site was a lifesaver for late-night snacks!
The Okay:: The Laundry service was pricey, but convenient. The Car park [free of charge] was a plus. The Cash withdrawal would be useful for guests as not all places accept cards.
The Questionable: I tried to use the business center, but it was locked. More frustrating than it should be.
(Opinionated Language!) The hotel had pretensions to grandeur that it couldn't quite meet. They seemed to be missing the mark on a lot of things.
For the Kids (Family/child friendly, Babysitting service, Kids facilities, Kids meal): I didn't have any kids with me, but from what I saw, it seemed like they had taken some care towards kid-friendliness.
Getting Around (Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking): They offered airport transfer, which was efficient. Parking was free and easy.
**The Verdict: Paradise Adjacent (But Still Worth a Shot
Beaumont Getaway: Unbeatable Red Roof Inn & Suites Deals!
Okay, buckle up buttercup, because here's a "travel itinerary" (air quotes, remember, because let's be real, I'm terrible at sticking to a plan) for a stay at MO2 Westown Hotel in Bacolod, Negros Occidental. Prepare for some seriously unfiltered me.
Day 1: Arrival, Sugarland, and Staring at a Ceiling Fan (aka, the "Jet Lag is Real" Day)
- Morning (Maybe): Land in Bacolod. Let's be honest, I probably woke up at the ungodly hour of 4 AM, convinced I was missing my flight. The flight itself? Turbulence. Enough to make me grip my armrests and whisper a silent prayer to the aviation gods. Finally, wheels down. Phew.
- Mid-Morning: Check into MO2 Westown. First impressions? My room! The AC blasting like a mini-Niagara. I swear, that was my entire mood for the next week. And the smell? A slight, clean bleach overtone. Comforting, like a grandma's house (but with less mothballs, hopefully). The room itself was… a room. Functional. It had a bed, a TV that probably got a signal (I never checked).
- Lunch: Went for some casual food around the hotel. Got some very cheap yet delicious local food around the place.
- Afternoon: Oh dear god. The afternoon. This is where the jet lag punched me in the face. I collapsed on that bed, intending to "rest my eyes." That "rest" turned into a full-blown coma. Woke up at 6 PM, disoriented, and convinced I'd missed dinner. The ceiling fan, going round and round, became the most interesting thing in the world. I stared at it for, like, a full twenty minutes. Deep thoughts man..
- Evening: Forced myself to go find food. Ended up at a "Chicken House" place (yes, that was the name). Best fried chicken of my LIFE. (The jet lag can make you dramatic). Wandered around, feeling lost and amazed by the city's vibe.
Day 2: Exploring, and the Great Misunderstanding of the "Tanduay Ice"
- Morning: Attempted to be a responsible tourist. Visited the San Sebastian Cathedral. Beautiful. Majestic. Tried to feel like I was actually experiencing it, but honestly, my main thought was, "Wow, that's a lot of steps. I should work out more." Also, the air conditioning? A welcome gift from the gods.
- Mid-Morning Visited the Bacolod Public Plaza. A big open space with stalls selling, well, everything. Got a local snack I thought was delicious.
- Lunch: Found a local "carenderia." This place wasn't fancy. The food smelled delicious, even though I couldn't place half the things on offer. I ate it all, feeling like I was actually living.
- Afternoon: The "Tanduay Ice" Incident. The bartender had a hard time understanding my orders and I ended up with the wrong drink, so, I just embraced it and had an ice-cold Tanduay Ice. Not exactly what I wanted, but hey. It was fun!
- Evening: Ate at a restaurant. I could feel myself starting to adjust to the local time.
Day 3: Sugarland, Lacson and Back-Tracking (aka, the "When in Rome, Eat Everything" Day)
- Morning: Had breakfast. Enjoyed a lazy morning, savouring my precious downtime.
- Mid-Morning: Visited the "The Ruins." Oh. My. God. This place. I'd seen pictures, but nothing prepared me for the sheer romantic, decaying glory of it. Seriously, the air seemed to hum with stories. It was breathtaking. And I'm not a "breathtaking" kind of person. I'm the kind who gets winded walking up a flight of stairs.*
- Lunch: Had another delicious meal, I'm not even going to try to name it.
- Afternoon: Backtracked to a place because I felt I missed something. Found something I missed. All good in the world.
- Evening: Dinner. I felt a slight sugar rush so I tried to get a handle on the situation.
Day 4: Rest, Coffee, and Realization (aka, the "I'm Actually Starting to Like This" Day)
- Morning: Slept in. Bliss. Finally felt like I was adjusting to the time zone.
- Mid-Morning: Wandered the lobby. Found the best coffee. Seriously, they had the best coffee. I'm not sure how long I spent just sitting.
- Lunch: I found a restaurant that offered "Kare-Kare." It looked delicious, I ate it all.
- Afternoon: Sat at a cafe and watched the world go by, thinking. I realized that I was actually, maybe, starting to appreciate the laid-back pace of Bacolod. No rushing, no hectic schedules. Just… existing.
- Evening: Packed. Sad. I missed my bed.
- Post-packing Emotional Breakdown: This is a crucial part of every trip, so I have to include it. I almost booked a flight home. I'd had enough of the heat, the humidity, and the jet lag. Also, I was kind of lonely, which is the downside of traveling solo. I sulked and felt sorry for myself. Then I ordered room service and watched a bad movie. Cured almost everything.
Day 5: Farewell & Departure (aka, the "Until Next Time, Maybe?")
- Morning: Wake up, had my last breakfast at the dining room.
- Mid-Morning: Headed for the airport. Back to the real world.
- Afternoon: The airport.
Quirky Observations & Messy Ramblings:
- The jeepneys are a work of art. They're like mobile, personalized shrines.
- The people are incredibly kind, even when they're struggling to understand my mangled attempts at Tagalog.
- I swear, I saw more ceiling fans in this hotel than I have in my entire life.
- I ate way too much. I'm probably going home a few pounds heavier. Worth it.
- This trip taught me a lot. About the power of fried chicken, the beauty of sunsets, and the surprising joy of staring at a ceiling fan.
- Okay, I'm leaving.
- Maybe I'll actually try, and come back again?
- I can't believe I ate all that food.
- The humidity almost finished me off.
- I miss the aircon.
- Bye.

Escape to Paradise: MO2 Westown - San Juan Getaway - The REALLY Real FAQs
Alright, so you're thinking about this San Juan trip? You've seen the ads, the influencers, the… well, you’ve been sucked in, haven't you? Good. Let’s talk real.
1. So, MO2 Westown… Is it Actually "Paradise"? Like, *Real* Paradise?
Paradise? Nope. Not in the "golden gates and harp music" kind of way. More like... 'a solid, decent base camp from which to explore the actual paradise that IS San Juan'. Listen, the lobby smelled faintly of chlorine and ambition. And the elevators? Let's just say they had a *personality*. One day they’d whisk you up like a rocket, the next they'd seem to think "leisurely stroll" was the only pace of travel. But, the AC worked, the water was hot (most of the time), and the staff, bless their hearts, were trying their best. So, not heaven, but hey, who needs perfect when you have… San Juan!
2. The Room… Was it Livable? (Because, Hotels)
Okay, the rooms. Let's be realistic. Mine wasn't featured in Architectural Digest, but it *was*… serviceable. Clean-ish. The bed? Comfy enough after a day of wandering around Old San Juan, fueled by too much cafĂ© con leche. The view from the window? Let’s call it… "urban". I could see the parking lot. But, and this is crucial, I could also hear the faint sound of the ocean at night. That alone almost made it "worth it", to be honest. Oh, and the mini-fridge! Crucial for keeping your Medalla cold. Never underestimate the power of a cold beer after sweating your face off in the sun.
3. The Food… Was it Decent? I'm a Picky Eater. (Aren’t we all?)
Alright, food. This is where things get… complicated. The hotel restaurant? Buffet-style. Think "standard hotel buffet". Eggs that had seen better days. Fruit that looked vaguely suspicious. But… there were also *some* genuinely good things. The scrambled eggs, occasionally, were decent. The coffee was STRONG. And the bacon? Don't even get me started. One morning the bacon was like, transcendent bacon. Crisp, salty, perfectly cooked. I filled my plate. Twice. (Don’t judge me; I walked *a lot* the rest of the day.) Then the next day the bacon was a bit… sad. The whole experience was like some kind of culinary rollercoaster. One day you're on top of the world with your perfect plate and the next it kinda feels like… a soggy, sad breakfast. The location, thankfully, makes up for a lot. Venture outside, my friend. San Juan's food scene is on FIRE. Seriously. Go find a place that serves Mofongo... you can thank me later.
4. The Pool… Is it Instagrammable? Because, Priorities.
The pool… Okay. The pool. It *exists*. It's… a pool. It’s not the infinity pool of your dreams, okay? The chairs were that kind of plastic that you desperately try not to stick to when you’re sun drenched. I saw a couple of people taking photos, so… maybe? Honestly, I spent most of my time *out* of the hotel, exploring the forts, the beaches, the history, so, I am the wrong person to ask about the pool. I did see one kid drop a giant beach ball in there and a lifeguard sigh, heavily, so… yeah. It's a pool. You decide.
5. The Location… Is it Actually a Good Base?
This is the *crucial* question. And the answer? YES! Absolutely. The location is actually pretty darn good. Pretty central, easy to get to Old San Juan, Condado, all the good stuff. Walking distance, or a short Uber ride. That's worth its weight in gold, trust me. The convenience of jumping into an Uber after a long day of walking saved my feet and my sanity, many times. I mean, I took a photo of the hotel lobby once, and have since forgotten where it is, but I remember all the amazing places it can get you to.
6. The Service… Were the Staff Helpful? (Or perpetually Miserable?)
The staff. Right. They were… *trying*. They were polite. They smiled. They dealt with my terrible Spanish with grace (I attempted to order empanadas once and apparently ordered something…else). Seriously, they were lovely. The cleaners were the unsung heroes, keeping the place reasonably tidy. Look, sometimes the smiles felt a *little* forced – you know, the “we're dealing with THIS again today” smiles – but overall, they were helpful. They’ll give you directions, they’ll call you a cab. They're not going to be your best friends, but they’ll get the job done. And that's what you really need, right?
7. Would You Go Back? (Be Honest!)
Would I go back? Hmm. Here's the thing. For the price, the location, and the promise of exploring San Juan? *Probably*. It's not a luxury experience, but it's functional, and it's a good base of operations. Would I recommend it to my friends? Yes, with caveats. "Don't expect the Ritz," I’d say. "But the city is amazing." Honestly, I'd rather have a slightly imperfect hotel and a fantastic trip than a perfect hotel that felt like staying in a bland bubble. Now, excuse me, I'm craving a Medalla and thinking about that bacon…
8. Any Hidden Gems inside or Around the hotel?
Hmm, well... It's not like you'll stumble upon a secret speakeasy, but here's a little thing. There was a small, non-descript corner store around the block that sold the BEST local coffee. Seriously, the best. I'd wake up early, stumble over there, and start the day with the most amazing, potent, and delicious coffee. That's the real hidden gem, let me tellHotel Search Tips


Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: MO2 Westown Hotel's Unforgettable San Juan Getaway"