
Escape to Paradise: Château La Bastie d'Urfé Awaits in Naussac, France
Château La Bastie d'Urfé: Less "Escape to Paradise," More "Sort of Escaped to a Really Cool Chateau" (Plus, the Wi-Fi Actually Worked!)
Okay, here's the deal. I've just emerged from a stay at Château La Bastie d'Urfé in Naussac, France, and honestly, I'm still processing. "Paradise"? Maybe a slightly overblown description. But "charming, historic chateau with surprisingly decent Wi-Fi despite the ancient stone walls"? Absolutely. Let's dissect this experience, shall we? (Warning: I tend to ramble. It's a therapy session, not a brochure review.)
Accessibility: The Good, The "We Tried," and the "Hmm…"
Right off the bat, let's talk accessibility. The website claims facilities for disabled guests. That's a vague statement. In reality? The whole chateau is a sprawling maze of stone and uneven surfaces. I'm not wheelchair-bound, thank God (though I do appreciate a good ramp), but if I was – well, let's just say you'd be relying heavily on the helpful staff (more on them later). There's an elevator, which is a definite win but navigating the grounds… let's just say it’s not a cakewalk.
Accessibility – It’s Complicated…
Okay, so the chateau itself is a bit of a logistical puzzle for anyone with mobility issues. Cobblestone paths, stone staircases… it's like a medieval obstacle course! On the bright side, the staff was super helpful. They were practically falling over themselves to assist. But honestly? It's a bit like trying to ride a Vespa on a cobblestone street – it's possible, but not exactly a smooth ride.
On-Site Restaurants & Lounges: Food, Glorious, Sometimes Questionable, Food!
Now, the food! The restaurants… well, they existed. But I wouldn't call them Michelin-star experiences. There’s a buffet, which felt a little like a school cafeteria. The "Asian cuisine" option? Let's just say it was… interpretive. The "International cuisine" was better, with a surprisingly decent steak. Breakfast was buffet-style, with a whole slew of options including Asian and Western cuisines. The selection was varied, but the quality was a bit… inconsistent. One day, the croissants were flaky perfection. The next? Slightly stale. This is a common problem at most hotel breakfasts, but not the end of the world.
The poolside bar, though? THAT was a vibe. Ordering a drink, taking a dip in the swimming pool (outdoor) with that view… absolute bliss. Happy hour kept things lively, and they even had a selection of local wines. My advice? Stick to the local wines.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Spa Dreams and Sauna Schemes…
Alright, this is where things get legitimately good. The spa itself? Dreamy. I had a body scrub that left my skin feeling like… well, like a pampered princess. (I may have had some fantasies about being a princess beforehand. Don't judge.) The pool with a view definitely earns its keep, and the sauna and steamroom were perfect for melting away stress. The fitness center was there, but who am I kidding? I was more interested in the lounging.
The Spa: A Sanctuary, Except for That One Time…
Confession time: I love a good spa. And the one at the chateau… swoon! I had a body wrap, a body scrub, the works. My skin was glowing, my muscles were relaxed. It was pure bliss. Except for one minor detail. I think the massage therapist fell asleep briefly during my treatment. (No judgment – we’ve all been there, right?) But overall, the spa experience was a definite highlight, and the pool area, with its views. Chef's kiss.
Cleanliness & Safety: Above Average, But Not Perfect
I'm a germaphobe, so believe me when I say cleanliness is KEY. The chateau seemed to take it seriously. Daily disinfection in common areas, anti-viral cleaning products, room sanitization options. I even noticed a sign about sterilizing equipment. They even had hand sanitizer everywhere. The staff were masked up and generally seemed very conscientious. HOWEVER, for a very old chateau, things aren't always perfect. There were a few cobwebs in the corners (duh, stone walls!), and I may have found a questionable crumb under the bed. But overall, I felt safe and comfortable.
Dining, Drinking, & Snacking: A Range of Options, Including That Suspect Asian Cuisine
Okay, let's be honest: the dining experience was a mixed bag. The a la carte restaurant was decent, but the buffet felt a bit… generic. The Asian cuisine? Well… let's just say it was an interpretation. However, the poolside bar? Perfection. The happy hour was a nice touch, and they had some great local wines. I also appreciated the availability of coffee/tea and a snack bar for those mid-afternoon cravings. They did a great job with the safe dining setup, with sanitized tableware, and, generally, everything felt safe.
Services & Conveniences: All the Bells and Whistles (Mostly)
This place has a lot of services. Concierge, laundry, dry cleaning, even a business center with xerox/fax. But let's talk about the important stuff: Air conditioning in public areas. YES! Free Wi-Fi (and it actually worked in the rooms! I'M LOOKING AT YOU, OTHER HISTORIC HOTELS!). The concierge was incredibly helpful. Seriously, those guys knew everything. They even provided an invoice. The elevator was a lifesaver, and the daily housekeeping kept everything tidy (despite my best efforts to mess it up).
Now I've got a story!
So, because of the location of the room (exterior corridor), I felt like I was waking up a little bit more to the elements. And, because of the age of the building, I was expecting a little bit of funk in the air, but that’s not usually the case. That first night, however, I was woken by the most pungent smell of sewage emanating from the open window. I had to shut it close and it went away. It wasn’t all that horrific, but it was unexpected. The next day, the window was sealed shut, and the funk went away.
For the Kids: Family Friendly-ish?
They claim to be family-friendly, with babysitting services (if you dare!). Kids facilities seemed minimal, and I didn't see any real kids meal options. I'd say this is more of a romantic getaway than a family destination.
Getting Around: Parking is Free! (Hallelujah!)
Free car park! Praise be! I drove, and parking was easy. Airport transfer was available (which I didn't use).
Available in All Rooms: The Important Stuff!
Okay, the room itself. Air conditioning (THANK GOD!). Free Wi-Fi (Double THANK GOD!). A coffee/tea maker! Minibar! A safe for my valuables! You know, the basics. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was functional, and the view from the window (once the sewage smell was gone) was lovely. Plus, there were nice-sized reading lights.
My stream-of-consciousness final thoughts:
Okay, overall? Château La Bastie d'Urfé is a mixed bag, but a charming one. It's not perfect. It's a bit old, a little quirky, and sometimes a little… underwhelming in terms of dining. But it's also a beautiful place with a fantastic spa, helpful staff, and surprisingly good Wi-Fi. It's an experience. You're staying in a piece of history! If you're looking for a romantic getaway, a relaxing spa retreat, or just a chance to escape the ordinary, it's worth considering. Just don't expect a flawless experience. And definitely, definitely try the local wine. And maybe skip the Asian cuisine. And bring your own slippers!
Springfield's BEST Kept Secret: Days Inn South Springfield (MO)!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your sanitized, perfectly-polished travel itinerary. This is the real, messy, wine-stained truth of a trip to Hotel La Bastie d'Urfé in Naussac, France. Prepare for rambling, questionable decisions, and a whole lot of me trying to figure out where the heck I am.
Hotel La Bastie d'Urfé: Naussac, France - A Trip "Itinerary" (More Like a Hot Mess of a Plan)
(Oh, and side note: I'm terrible at planning. So, expect improvisation. Lots of it.)
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Lavender Conspiracy (AKA, Jet Lag Strikes)
- Morning (ish): Arrive at some airport. Honestly, I've blocked out the details. Travel is a blur of airport food (always disappointing), questionable in-flight movies, and the desperate need to pee. The flight, the very concept of jet lag, felt like a conspiracy orchestrated by the sleep-deprived gods.
- Afternoon: Finally! We reach the utterly charming, if slightly remote, Hotel La Bastie d'Urfé. The drive was magnificent, the roads winding, the views breathtaking… for the five minutes I wasn't frantically Googling "French driving laws" because, well, I was the driver. The hotel itself? Rustic chic. Think exposed stone walls, antique furniture, and a definite feeling that you've stepped back in time (in a good way).
- Late Afternoon: The lavender! Everywhere! I figured, "Aha, the quintessential French experience! I'm going to be a lavender aficionado." So, I purchase something - lavender-infused soap and shampoo.
- Evening: Dinner at the hotel restaurant - Oh, the food! Let me tell you about the food. The chef, a delightful, slightly eccentric man who looked like he'd stepped out of a fairytale, cooked a dinner that had me close to tears. I was so emotionally moved, I almost started crying. "It's so good!", I thought. The wine? Incredible. The conversation with my travel companion? A mix of awe and jet lag-induced delirium. At the end, while leaving the restaurant, I forgot how to speak English. I don’t even know how to describe it.
- Night: Sleep. Or attempt to. Jet lag. Just… jet lag. The bed was comfortable, but my brain felt like it was doing the Macarena at 3 AM. The ghost of the first night was lurking.
Day 2: The Chateau That Tried to Kill Me (Almost)
- Morning: The beauty of the whole area is overwhelming. After a delicious breakfast of pastries and café au lait (yes, I'm embracing the clichés), we decide to visit something. We drive to a chateau. The chateau was huge, and so beautiful on the outside. You can feel its majestic ancient energy.
- Afternoon: The Chateau tour – the tour was fascinating and informative, and the guide had a twinkle in his eye that suggested he knew all the secrets the old stones were hiding.
- Late Afternoon: The Chateau, oh, the Chateau. We started off well, ooohing and aaahing at the tapestries. Then, disaster struck. One particular staircase, ancient and poorly lit, presented a formidable challenge. As I descended, my foot slipped. I'm now pretty sure I owe my life to the lucky handrail (and the fact that the steps were covered in centuries of dust, which provided a surprising amount of friction). Seriously, the Chateau nearly took me out. I could almost cry, thinking I slipped.
- Evening: Back to the hotel, shaken but not stirred. I had two glasses of wine, a long bath and a well-deserved rest. I feel I'm slowly adjusting to the European routine.
Day 3: A Market, a Meltdown, and Macarons (Oh, My!)
- Morning: We decide to visit a local market. I am a market enthusiast. To me, there is nothing better than trying the best local food. I was in my element, I tried the bread, the cheese, the olives. I felt very good, so I got carried away.
- Afternoon: Let's just say… the market was a little overwhelming. I mean, beautiful fruit, fragrant cheeses, and French people. It had too much to choose from, and suddenly, I wanted everything. This lead to some serious indecision. I started to panic because I didn't know what to buy. I wanted to try everything, but I knew I couldn't. I found myself shouting orders at the vendors, and when I finally got my hands on the elusive macarons (lemon, obviously), I had a full-blown meltdown.
- Late Afternoon: Back at the hotel, I ate the macarons. They were perfect. The meltdown? Probably worth it.
- Evening: More delicious food, more wine, and deep conversations. Life is good.
Day 4: The Quest for Authenticity (and the Wine Cellar)
- Morning: I wake up and think: Time to get more authentic. I want to understand. So I try to talk with the local people. I start with someone. I try to speak in French. He seems to understand. He answers in French, and I feel confused. The French language is a mystery.
- Afternoon: The hotel has a wine cellar. A real, honest-to-goodness, dripping-with-history, wine cellar. We descend. The air is cool, the aroma intoxicating. I feel I've found a treasure.
- Evening: This is where the itinerary gets really fuzzy. Let's just say the wine cellar may have been revisited. And maybe, just maybe, a few bottles (or two) inadvertently "escaped" to our room. And perhaps, some impromptu (and slightly tipsy) philosophical discussions ensued. We just had fun.
- Night: Bed. A very, very good bed.
Day 5: Departure & The Bitter-Sweet Goodbye
- Morning: Waking up at the hotel, I felt different. I'd spent the day before, and the days that followed, contemplating the essence of human emotions. I understood more about the human experience. I understood I was leaving.
- Afternoon: We say goodbye to Hotel La Bastie d'Urfé. It was a bittersweet moment, the feeling of leaving was hard to bear. The hotel staff smiled, the food was great, the sights were beautiful. I feel this trip changed me. And I'm sure I will miss it for the rest of my life.
Final Thoughts: This itinerary is an imperfect reflection of an imperfect journey. There were good days, bad days, moments of deep thought, and moments of pure, unadulterated silliness. And that, my friends, is the essence of travel, isn't it? Embrace the chaos, laugh at the mistakes, and remember that the best memories are the ones you never planned.
(P.S. If you’re going to Hotel La Bastie d'Urfé, pack comfortable shoes, a good book, and a sense of humor. Oh, and maybe learn some French. I'm still working on that.)
Unbelievable Waterloo Escape: Delta Hotels Marriott Review (ON, Canada)
Escape to Paradise: Château La Bastie d'Urfé - A Messy, Honest FAQ
Okay, so... Naussac? Where the heck IS that? And is it even worth the trek? Cause, you know, GPS lies.
Naussac, my friends, is in the Loire region of France. Think rolling hills, vineyards... and a whole lotta "silence." Which, let me tell you, is a luxury if you’ve been living in a city like, well, *my* city. Google Maps will get you there. Eventually. Though be warned: my GPS tried to send me through a farmer's field. Twice. So, yeah, trust the signs too.
Is it worth it? Absolutely. Unless you're allergic to charm. Prepare to fall in love with the whole darn area. Just… pack snacks for the drive. I almost ate my steering wheel out of sheer hunger. And map out some *actual* gas stations. The "gas" I was running on by the end was pure, unadulterated caffeine and desperation.
The Château! What's it *REALLY* like? Is it all fancy plates and snooty staff? Because, honestly, I'm more of a "spill-wine-down-my-front" kind of person.
Alright, lemme be real. The Château is… stunning. Like, drop-your-jaw-and-go-“wow” stunning. Picture this: massive stone walls, a history that practically oozes from the bricks (I swear I felt a ghost or two). And the grounds! Oh, the grounds. Perfect for wandering around, getting lost, and pretending you're a 16th-century noble.
Now, about the snootiness… It's actually *charming*. Yes, there's a certain level of elegance, but it's not the stuffy, forced kind. The staff? They're genuinely lovely. And, guess what? I *did* spill some wine (a little, alright?). They just smiled, brought a clean cloth, and didn't act like I'd committed a capital crime. Phew! So, yeah, fancy plates? Yes. Snooty vibes? Thankfully, no. You might, however, find yourself wanting to *act* fancy. It's contagious.
The Rooms! What's the deal? Are they comfy, or are we talking drafty, cold, and haunted by grumpy ancestors? (Because I'm not good with grumpy ghosts.)
Okay, the rooms... Prepare for sensory overload. Each is unique, each boasts its own character, and they're GOOD. Imagine soaring ceilings, antique furniture that whispered stories, enormous windows that framed views that genuinely made me gasp. My room? Let's just say I felt like a princess. A slightly clumsy princess who maybe stumbled a few times on the Persian rug...
Drafty? Maybe a tiny bit in the dead of winter (I went in summer, thank goodness). Cold? Nope. And haunted by grumpy ancestors...? Hmm, well, I *did* hear a creak or two at night. But I'm chalking that up to the building settling, and maybe a bit of the wine I sampled before bed. Let's just say, the ghosts, if there were any, were the friendly, "welcome to our beautiful home" kind. They weren't the "get out of my castle!" type. So, comfort wins! They know how to do it right, the comfort.
The Food: Is it Michelin-star fancy, or can you actually enjoy it without needing a glossary of French culinary terms? (I barely understand English cooking terms, to be honest.)
The food… Dear God, the food. Forget the glossary. Forget trying to be “cultured.” Just enjoy. The breakfast buffet was a thing of pure joy. Croissants that actually *melt* in your mouth, fresh fruit bursting with flavor, coffee that actually woke me up (and I’m a coffee snob, okay?). Dinners? Magnificent. Fresh, seasonal, and crafted with insane skill. I had this duck dish… OMG. I’m drooling just thinking about it.
Was it Michelin-star? Probably. Did I understand all the fancy techniques? Nope. Did I care? Absolutely not. I just ate, smiled, and reveled in the experience. And, bonus: the portions are actually reasonable. You won't leave feeling like you need a forklift to get you back to your room. Honestly, this is a food enthusiast's heaven.
Activities! What's there to DO besides eat, sleep, and stare at the pretty scenery? Because, let's face it, even I get bored sometimes. (Okay, a lot).
Ah! The activities. Beyond the eating, sleeping, and staring, you have options. There's exploring the Château itself, of course. Wandering through the gardens, finding secret nooks and hidden corners. Then there's the surrounding area. Vineyards galore! Tours, tastings, the works. I went to one winery, and, let's just say, things got a little… blurry. (The wine was excellent, though, no regrets.)
You can also visit nearby towns, go hiking, biking, or just drive around, soaking in the beauty. It’s all incredibly relaxing, which, at first, I wasn't sure I liked! Where's the hustle and bustle? The chaos? But then you start to wind down. Slow down. And before you know it, you're practically a Zen master. (Or, at least, a slightly less stressed version of yourself.) I, for one, enjoyed the contrast. It forced me to just… chill and enjoy. And I definitely did.
The Pool! Tell me everything! Is it a crowded mess, or a serene oasis of relaxation? 'Cause I NEED my pool time.
Let's talk about the pool. Okay, so, the pool... It's *amazing*. That's the long and short of it. Now, remember, I went in the summer. I'm picturing it now. Clear blue, sparkling water, surrounded by lush greenery. Sun loungers positioned perfectly for maximum sun-soaking potential. A bar nearby… (I did treat myself). And the best part? It wasn't *packed*. There was actually space to move, to breathe. To just… relax.
There were a few other guests, of course. But everyone was respectful. No screaming kids (bliss!). No crowded chaos. It was the perfect place to float, read a book, and sip a cocktail. Honestly, the pool area was my personal slice of heaven. I spent hours there. I even managed to doze off once or twice. Best naps of my life! Seriously, if you're a pool person, the Château's got you covered. It's an oasis.


Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: Château La Bastie d'Urfé Awaits in Naussac, France"