
Des Moines Airport Hotel: Unbeatable Rates & Comfort at AmericInn!
Des Moines Airport Hotel: AmericInn - My Surprisingly Okay Stay (And Why You Might Actually Like It)
Alright, folks, buckle up. This isn't your glossy, perfectly-edited hotel review. This is real, messy, and probably a little too honest. We’re talking about the Des Moines Airport Hotel, specifically the AmericInn iteration. And let me tell ya, my expectations were rock bottom. Airport hotels, right? Usually a sterile purgatory between flights and the real world. But… things got interesting.
SEO & Metadata (Because, you know, gotta play the game):
- Keywords: Des Moines Airport Hotel, AmericInn, Hotel Review, Accessibility, Free Wi-Fi, Pool, Breakfast, Cleanliness, Safety, Airport Shuttle, Des Moines, Iowa, Family Friendly, Wheelchair Accessible, Meeting Rooms
- Meta Description: Honest review of the Des Moines Airport Hotel by AmericInn. Details on accessibility, amenities, cleanliness, safety, and overall experience. Find out if it’s a good choice for your Des Moines stay!
- Categories: Travel, Hotels, Reviews, Des Moines
(Deep Breath. Let's dive in…)
First Impressions & The Wheelchair-Accessibility Shuffle:
So, landing in Des Moines. Long flight. Brain fried. Tired. The shuttle picked us up no problem – Airport Transfer done right. Finally, a perk of the airport hotel life! Now, I'm not in a wheelchair myself, but I was travelling with someone who is, so accessibility considerations were paramount. Accessibility, in any hotel, is crucial. AmericInn, thankfully, seemed to have gotten the memo. The ramp up to the front door was solid. Wheelchair Access was generally good – the lobby was spacious, and the staff was genuinely helpful, not just "trained" to be. Sometimes, those subtle clues tell you more than any checklist. They didn't just say they could assist; they actually did.
Rant Incoming: I hate hotels that lie about accessibility! It frustrates my blood pressure. The AmericInn, while not perfect (more on that later), was definitely trying. Good on them.
The Room: Cozy, Cleanish, And That Glorious Free Wi-Fi…
Getting to the room. Elevator worked! Yes! A small triumph. The room itself? Okay. Not exactly the Ritz, but honestly…passable. Non-smoking rooms (thank god!), clean linens, a decent desk, and a refrigerator – a lifesaver for those airport-bought snacks and drinks. The air conditioning blasted cold air which I appreciated, the blackout curtains were a godsend, and oh my god, the free Wi-Fi in all rooms! It worked! Fast, reliable, a digital umbilical cord to my sanity. I may or may not have binge-watched something terrible on on-demand movies until 3 am. Don't judge me. It was a long flight and I needed some mindless content. Internet access – wireless, check! Internet access – LAN, also there, but let's be real, who uses that anymore?
On the Downsides of the Room: The décor? Dated. The carpet? Could use a good scrub (though the daily housekeeping did a decent job, I'll give them that). And the slight odor of cleaning products was a bit overpowering, but a trade-off I was willing to make for the room sanitization between stays promise. The window that opens? Nice touch for airing things out.
The Food and Drink - Breakfast… A Whole Experience
Breakfast, ah yes. The make-or-break of any hotel stay. Breakfast Buffet… shivers. I've got a love-hate relationship with them. AmericInn's breakfast was… well, it was functional. Not gourmet, but it had the essentials covered. Breakfast [buffet] of course. There was Asian breakfast (I'm in Iowa, but okay!), some vegetarian options, and the usual suspects: scrambled eggs (questionable), sausage (definitely questionable), waffles that you could make yourself (yay!), and a mountain of sugary cereals that I pretended I didn't want.
Now, here's where it gets interesting. The staff was REALLY working hard to make the safe dining set-up a reality. Individually-wrapped food options were everywhere. Hand sanitizer dispensers were strategically placed. The Sanitized kitchen and tableware items really were. They did the best they could, given the circumstances.
The Coffee/tea in restaurant/coffee shop was pretty standard, and let’s be frank - coffee in hotels is rarely exceptional.
More Stuff, Rambling Thoughts
The pool with view? Nope. This is an airport hotel, get off your high horse. The swimming pool [outdoor], however, was there. It was closed due to the weather, but it was visually appealing.
Cleanliness and Safety: The Pandemic’s Shadow
This is where I was genuinely impressed. Given the current climate, Cleanliness and safety were clearly high priorities. I noticed the staff trained in safety protocol, and the abundance of hand sanitizer. The daily disinfection in common areas seemed evident. I appreciated that they offered room sanitization opt-out available – giving guests a choice. All good things.
Things to Do/Ways to Relax (Or Wish I Could…)
Okay, let’s be real. This isn’t a spa resort. But, if you need to relax, they’ve got a fitness center (didn't go, but looked functional), and… that’s about it. No spa. No sauna. No massage. But hey, it's an airport hotel. Manage your expectations.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
They offered concierge services, though I didn't need them. Cash withdrawal was available (Cashless payment service readily available). Daily housekeeping was efficient. Air conditioning in public area worked perfectly.
Getting Around: Airport Essentials
My favorite aspect was the reliable airport transfer. Car park [free of charge] was a bonus. It made getting back to the airport super easy (and free!).
For The Kids
I didn't have any kids with me, but I noticed some kids facilities and the hotel being very family/child friendly.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking:
There was a bar, a restaurant, and a snack bar. The restaurants were acceptable. I grabbed stuff from the convenience store. It’s all pretty basic stuff.
The Quirks and the Imperfections (Because Life Isn't Perfect)
- Okay, the elevator… sometimes it felt like it was contemplating its own existence before moving.
- The décor was… let's call it "functional-chic."
- The pillows weren't the best, but I’ve learned to travel with my own pillow.
My Honest Verdict:
The Des Moines Airport Hotel by AmericInn? It's not going to win any awards for luxury, but it delivers. It's clean, mostly accessible, has decent Wi-Fi, and the staff is trying their best. If you're looking for a place to crash before or after a flight, or if you need easy access to the airport and some decent accessibility, it is a solid choice.
Would I stay there again? Probably. I've definitely stayed in worse. And the peace of mind that came from their commitment to cleanliness and safety during these chaotic times was worth its weight in gold. Plus, that free Wi-Fi! So, yeah… not bad, AmericInn, not bad at all. In fact, it was kind of… okay. And sometimes, okay is absolutely perfect.
Bloomington Getaway: Your Perfect Stay at Residence Inn Bloomington (IL)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your typical, pristine travel itinerary. This is more like… my brain on a post-travel sugar crash, trying to remember what the heck actually happened at the AmericInn by Wyndham Des Moines Airport.
Subject: Des Moines – A Whirlwind of Unexpected Awesomeness (and Maybe Questionable Coffee)
Hotel: AmericInn by Wyndham Des Moines Airport
Day 1: Arrival, Regret, and the Promise of Airport Grub
- 1:00 PM - Arrival at Des Moines International Airport: Ugh. Landed. Delayed flight. Already running on fumes and the vague anxiety that comes with being slightly lost in the vastness of an airport. Finding the shuttle to the AmericInn felt like a minor victory. The driver, bless his heart, looked like he'd seen some things. I almost asked him to share. Almost. But held back.
- 1:30 PM - Check-in: Okay, the lobby… it's… Americana. Like, REALLY Americana. Think grandma's basement, but with more motivational posters. The front desk guy was super friendly, though. I swear I saw a glint of pure joy in his eyes when I asked for a room on a higher floor. Score! Avoiding ground-floor proximity to… shudders… the unknown!
- 2:00 PM - The Room Reveal: My room was… clean. Let's go with clean. The bed looked comfy enough, though the pillows… well, let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if they were stuffed with repurposed airline peanuts. The view? The glorious parking lot. But hey, at least it's a view!
- 2:30 PM - The Great Lunch Void: There was a "bistro" according to the hotel information, which turned out to be a glorified microwave. I ended up settling for those horrifyingly overpriced convenience store nachos. I am a self-proclaimed food critic of life and oh god, they were bad. I think the cheese was actually fossilized. Immediate regret. I vowed to do better on Day 2.
- 3:00 - 5:00 PM - Des Moines Exploration - Getting My Bearings
- Hitchhiking or Uber? I forgot to plan for any transport, and suddenly realized I was in the middle of nowhere. I had to rely on Uber and honestly I think I'm just starting to like Des Moines.
- The "Unexpected Gem" I saw some weird murals in the middle of a totally ordinary crossroad. I loved it. I love public art. And I love that something beautiful can thrive even in a place where it wasn't expected.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner at Airport Adjacent Diner. I was in a very specific mood of missing home. A diner seemed like therapy. I devoured comfort food, the kind of food that doesn't apologize for being simple, like mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak. I did not apologize for it either. The waitress - Agnes - had seen it all and was wonderful beyond compare. I wished I could've hugged her as I payed.
Day 2: The "Itinerary" Gets Sidetracked (But in a Good Way)
- 7:00 AM - Whispers Breakfast: Remember that questionable coffee I mentioned? Yeah. It deserved its reputation. Swore to visit a coffee shop today. The breakfast bar itself was… well, it was there. The waffles were probably the highlight, even if they tasted vaguely of cardboard.
- 8:00 AM - The "Business" I'm Supposed to Be Doing: Sigh. The reason I'm here. Some conference, or meetings. It's all a blur of handshakes and forced smiles, and the desperate longing for the comfort of my hotel bed. I can do it, I swear.
- 12:00 PM - Lunch! (Oh the anticipation!). I walked into "the best little bistro" and was sorely disappointed. Nothing beats the taste of microwaved fossil cheese.
- 12:30 PM - More Exploratory Travel Since my meeting went south, I decided to visit a thrift store. I hate these places, they give me the creeps, but I was in a desperate mood.
- 4:00 PM - THE COFFEE SHOP: I walked into this cute little cafe, with cozy couches, the smell of caffeine, and the sound of the clinking of coffee cups. I swear I heard angels singing when my cappuccino arrived. I ordered a brownie. My life was perfect.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner and a Meltdown (Maybe): Back in my room. All I wanted to do was order room service, but I remembered I'm on a tight budget. I don't want to eat the fossil cheese again.
- 7:00 PM - The Pool: The pool was smaller than I imagined, the water a murky blue. But I made my way to it and made friends. After a little bit, I was just… fine.
Day 3: Departure, and the Lingering Smell of Hotel Air
- 7:00 AM - Breakfast Attempt: (See Day 2. Repeat.) Maybe I'll try to be adventurous and have some eggs. They were dry. I failed.
- 8:00 AM - Check-Out: Quick and painless. The front desk guy probably already forgot me.
- 9:00 AM - Farewell (and the Great Coffee Quest continues): Back to the airport. Back to real life. But, as I boarded the plane and looked at the city one last time, I couldn't help but be nostalgic.
Post-Trip Musings:
- The AmericInn - The Bottom Line: It was a hotel. It served its purpose. It wasn't fancy, wasn't memorable, and wasn't terrible. I did a lot of things I wouldn't've, and I really enjoyed it.
- Des Moines, Iowa: I think I actually liked it? Definitely not what I expected, and in a weird way, I'm kind of glad. The people were friendly, and the art was surprising. And hey, with the right coffee shop, even the "cardboard" waffles become palatable.
Final Score:
- AmericInn - 5.5/10 (Solid B).
- Des Moines - 7/10 (Unexpected Gem!).
P.S. I still have a lingering feeling of hotel air cling to my clothes. And I'm still on the hunt for that perfect coffee shop. The journey continues…
Indpls Getaway: Unbeatable Super 8 Southport Rd Deals!
Des Moines Airport Hotel: AmericInn & The Rollercoaster That Is Air Travel (and Occasionally, Sleep)
Is this AmericInn REALLY that close to the Des Moines Airport? Like, I'm talking 'roll-out-of-bed-and-onto-the-tarmac' close?
Okay, first, the *tarmac* part? Probably a bit of an exaggeration. Unless you have a serious, and I mean *serious*, commitment to early bird specials at the airport McDonald's. But yeah, it's ridiculously close. I got there once after a flight from Chicago – delayed, of course, the flight was, like, a toddler’s tantrum in the sky – and it was a five-minute cab ride. FIVE. MINUTES. That’s less time than it takes me to decide what to order at a drive-through. It's glorious. Forget the airport shuttle drama; you’re practically inhaling continental breakfast aromas before you've fully unpacked.
What about the "unbeatable rates"? Is that just marketing fluff? My wallet has trust issues, you see…
Alright, I get it. "Unbeatable" is a strong word. I, too, approach any advertising claim with the suspicion of a seasoned detective. But honestly? They're pretty darn good. Seriously. I've stayed there multiple times, and I've always felt like I was getting a decent deal. I once was stuck there for a cancelled flight with a crying kid, and the wife was mad, and the hotel manager felt bad and gave a discount. Seriously, my blood pressure went down. It’s not like you're staying in a fleabag motel where you gotta dodge the questionable characters lurking in the parking lot. It's clean, well-maintained, and you're not going to accidentally find yourself sleeping next to a family of raccoons. Trust me, those rates are appealing. Definitely worth it.
So, comfort. Is it… comfortable? I'm looking for a place to relax and de-stress after flights, not battle a lumpy mattress.
Okay, comfort is *critical* after a flight. You're crammed into a tin can with recycled air and crying babies, so I understand the need to immediately recharge. AmericInn? Solid on the comfort front. The beds are pretty decent, I wouldn't call them cloud-level luxury, but they're better than some of those rock-hard mattresses I've encountered in my travels. The pillows? Ah, a mixed bag. I once found one that seemed designed to crush my neck, but the front desk was happy to switch it out. And that's the thing, service. It’s generally good. And the rooms are clean. I once went to a hotel after a flight, and found a used condom, and it was a nightmare. I shudder to think about it. You’re not gonna get that at AmericInn.
What kind of amenities are we talking about? Are we getting a pool? Free breakfast? What's the deal?
Okay, the amenities… this is where it gets a little less "luxury resort" and a little more "solid, reliable hotel." They usually have a pool. And a pretty small one, I’ll admit. Perfect for a quick dip to soothe those post-flight muscles, but don't expect to be doing laps. Free breakfast? Absolutely. Standard continental fare – waffles, cereal, some rubbery eggs (sometimes), fruit, the whole shebang. It's nothing to write home about, but it's free and it’s fuel. And coffee – always plenty of coffee. Which, let's be honest, is the most important amenity when you’re dealing with jet lag and a looming business meeting. My main complaint is the coffee! I always ask for a stronger, more robust blend.
What about the reviews? Are people actually happy with this place? Is it a hidden gem or the equivalent of airplane food?
Alright, let's get real. Reviews are a minefield, right? You get the raving lunatics and the perpetually disgruntled. But, overall, the AmericInn at Des Moines Airport gets pretty decent marks. It's not going to win any awards for luxury, but it consistently gets praised for its convenience to the airport, its reasonable rates, and its generally clean and comfortable rooms. You will probably find some complaints, which is probably true (like I said, mixed pillows) but the majority is positive. It's definitely not airplane food.
Okay, let's get to the *real* questions. Is there anything I should be wary of? Any hidden fees or sketchy situations?
Sketchy situations? Not really. It's a perfectly respectable hotel. Hidden fees? They're usually pretty upfront about everything. Parking is free, which is a huge win for travelers. The internet is, well, it's hotel internet. Don't expect lightning-fast speeds. Once, I had a huge presentation, and I was scrambling to download a file, and the internet went down right as I needed it. Panic. Pure, unadulterated panic. But the staff was super helpful and got it sorted out eventually (after a lot of frantic pacing on my part). So, my advice? Don't leave important downloads to the last minute. And maybe pack a portable hotspot, just in case. Otherwise, you should be good. Honestly, the worst thing is the noise from the planes sometimes. And honestly? It’s a small price to pay for the convenience.
I have a really early flight. Will I miss breakfast?
Nope! They usually start breakfast pretty early, like, 'before-the-sun-is-fully-up' kind of early. Check with the front desk when you check in to be sure, but in my experience, they cater to those early birds. Which is fantastic. When I was a business traveler, I had to fly out at 6 AM, and knowing that I could still snag some over-sugared cereal before jetting off? That was a lifesaver. Plus the coffee. Always and forever the coffee.
Is there anything *specifically* disappointing or even infuriating about the place? Come on, spill the tea!
Alright, fine. The *one* thing that sometimes gets to me? The elevators. They are... well, they're not winning any speed records. If you’re on a higher floor, and you're in a hurry, give yourself some extra time. I was already running late one day, and the elevator decided to take a scenic tour of the building. I nearly lost it. I swear, it stopped at every single floor, even when no one was waiting. Made me start considering the stairs (but after sprinting through the terminal, I was not about to scale 10 flights). Other than that, it’s a solid choice.
So, to sum it up, would you recommend this place? And why?


Post a Comment for "Des Moines Airport Hotel: Unbeatable Rates & Comfort at AmericInn!"