Athens, GA Getaway: Unbeatable Deal at Howard Johnson by Wyndham!

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Athens, GA Getaway: Unbeatable Deal at Howard Johnson by Wyndham!

Athens, GA Getaway: Howard Johnson by Wyndham – A Review (Prepare for Truth Bombs!)

Alright, y'all, buckle up. I just got back from a "getaway" to Athens, GA, and I'm here to spill the tea, the sweet tea – and maybe a little bit of lukewarm, slightly-stale tea, too – on the Howard Johnson by Wyndham. They call it an "Unbeatable Deal," and… well, let's just say that's a bold statement. I'm diving in deep. This is gonna be less a polished hotel review and more a chaotic, truth-telling rant (with some helpful info peppered in, I swear!).

First Impressions (and the Initial "Oh, Dear" Moment)

So, the location? Athens, GA. Classic. Music scene, college town vibes, you know the drill. The hotel itself? Well, let's just say the exterior had a certain, shall we say… retro charm. Think "early 90s roadside motel." It wasn't exactly the pristine, Instagram-worthy escape I'd envisioned. The exterior corridor gave me a specific kind of… slightly unsettled feeling. (Exterior corridor is the keyword here) I'm a sucker for a good, classic hotel, and the fact that it's an exterior corridor certainly helps to elevate the vibe.

Accessibility – A Mixed Bag, Like My Feelings

  • Wheelchair Accessible: This is a big one for me. Luckily, the Howard Johnson claimed to have facilities! (it does!) so I'm happy to report there's an elevator, thankfully. They have facilities for disabled guests, which included (I think) bathrooms with grab bars, etc. I'll take it!
  • Other Accessibility: The website didn’t give the greatest detail regarding this, but I'm sure if you called them they would have answered.

Cleanliness and Safety – Trying Hard, It Seems

Okay, important stuff. They claimed to be on top of things with the COVID protocols.

  • Anti-viral cleaning products: Good to know. Gives me a tiny bit more peace of mind.
  • Room sanitization opt-out available: Interesting. Gives you some flexibility. I wonder how many people actually opt out (and why).
  • Rooms sanitized between stays: Okay, that's the bare minimum these days.
  • Hand sanitizer: Spotting it everywhere is a great thing!
  • Staff trained in safety protocol: Fingers crossed they actually remembered the training!
  • Shared stationery removed: Thank goodness. I’m not a huge fan of signing stuff in a giant shared pile of pens.
  • Daily disinfection in common areas: Another good sign.
  • Professional-grade sanitizing services: Okay, they're saying the right things.

Rooms – The Battle of "Meh"

Let's talk rooms. Okay, they had the basics. The air conditioning was, thankfully, functional. I need that. There was a functional (ish) coffee maker and the usual suspects:

  • Internet access – wireless: Free Wi-Fi, thank the heavens. I need to be connected. And the connection wasn't horrible, but don't expect blazing speeds.
  • Air conditioning: A necessity.
  • Refrigerator: Always appreciated for the cold drinks!
  • Coffee/tea maker: Essential for surviving the day.

The "Things to Do" – Or, How I Spent my Time

  • I had to write. This thing is a review, after all.
  • I went to the places I was supposed to go.
  • I hung out with my people.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – The "Food" Experience

This is where things got… interesting. The "Unbeatable Deal" didn't extend to the food, I guess.

  • Breakfast [buffet]: (This sounds so good, I'm going to put it at the top). Okay, the breakfast buffet was… there. Let's just say it wasn't a gourmet experience. Think lukewarm scrambled eggs, questionable-looking pastries, and coffee that tasted like… well, it tasted like it had been brewing since the Carter administration (that's a joke, hopefully!)!
  • Restaurants: The review here says the hotel has restaurants, but I didn't go to them, and I don't know what's up in the restaurant scene.
  • Snack bar: Okay, this could be good! I like a snack bar.

Services and Conveniences – Trying to Keep Up

  • 24-hour front desk: Always a plus. Especially when you arrive late.
  • Daily housekeeping: Yep, the usual.

For the Kids – Or, "Where are the Mini-Me's?"

I didn't have kids with me, but I saw the "Family/child friendly" sign.

  • Babysitting service: Okay, that's good
  • Kids meal: Good.

Getting Around – The Parking Predicament

  • Car park [free of charge]: Thank god. Parking is a pain!
  • Valet parking: Unavailable.

Accessibility (Again, because it's important)

  • Facilities for disabled guests: See above. It's there.

Overall – My Chaotic Conclusion

So, would I recommend the Howard Johnson by Wyndham in Athens as the ultimate getaway? Probably not. But, hey, it was a place to rest my weary head. It had… character. It did have free Wi-Fi (!). And, in the end, I survived. If you're looking for a no-frills, budget-friendly option, it's okay. Just don't expect a palace, or a feast. Maybe lower your expectations a tiny bit, and you might be pleasantly surprised. And definitely grab some coffee before you hit the breakfast buffet. You've been warned.

Grand Island Getaway: Days Inn I-80's Unbeatable Deals!

Book Now

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your sanitized, Instagram-filtered travel guide. This is a Howard Johnson odyssey in Athens, Georgia, and frankly, I'm already running late. My flight got – I’m not even kidding – delayed because of a rogue flock of seagulls. Seagulls in Athens, GA? Nature, you're a real comedian.

Day 1: Arrival and the Dawg's Den (or, The Quest for the Perfect Pecan Pie)

  • 1:00 PM: Finally, landed. The Athens airport is charmingly… compact. Think "one-room schoolhouse" of aviation. Got my rental car – a gloriously beat-up Kia, affectionately dubbed "The Wanderer." And the drive to the Howard Johnson? Uneventful, which is a victory in itself after the seagull debacle.
    • Anecdote: Okay, so I almost missed the exit. My GPS lady, bless her digital heart, has a voice like a perpetually bored librarian. I swear she was sighing when I ignored her.
  • 2:00 PM: Check-in. The front desk guy at the HoJo was wearing a name tag that said “Just call me Bob." I liked Bob. He gave me Room 214, the one with the "extra-charming" view of the parking lot. I am not complaining.
  • 2:30 PM: Room Reconnaissance. Alright, the room. It doesn't matter, it's where I rest my head.
    • Quirky Observation: The wallpaper is the same pattern as my grandma's kitchen, but with a slightly faded quality. This is the charm of retro.
  • 3:00 PM: The Pecan Pie Mission Begins: I'm on a quest! the legendary pecan pie from the Athens. I've heard whispers of its deliciousness. First stop: Mama's Boy. Heard it's a local favorite.
    • Rambling: Traffic was HORRENDOUS. Athens, you guys really love your cars. And your left turns. And your… well, everything I guess. I did see a bumper sticker that said, "I brake for Dawgs," so I guess I'm in the right place? (Oh, the Pie… It was good. But… no. Not perfection. It was close, I tell you. The crust was almost perfect, but the filling needed… more. More oomph.)
  • 5:00 PM: The real reason I came to Athens: The University of Georgia. I swung by the football stadium, because, Dawgs. I needed to feel the pulse of the place.
    • Emotional Reaction: The stadium is massive. The sheer scale of it is… overwhelming. I could feel the energy, even without a game. It’s like the collective hopes and dreams of a whole state are poured into those brick walls.
  • 7:00 PM: Dinner at a local dive – because I'm not fancy. Found a place called "The Grill." Atmosphere: Perfect.
    • Opinionated Language: The burgers were decent, but the fries were criminal. Soggy, limp, and utterly disappointing. I need crispy fries in my life. I demand crispy fries!
  • 9:00 PM: Back to the HoJo. I'm exhausted. Also, the siren song of a lukewarm jacuzzi. The pool is CLOSED! My quest for leisure is failing.

Day 2: Art, Antiques, and the Search for True Love (of Coffee)

  • 8:00 AM: Attempted gym. Okay, the gym at the HoJo… let’s just say it’s “quaint.” One treadmill, a rusty elliptical, and a bench press that looked like it had seen better decades. Nope. Back to the room.
    • Imperfection: I tried to watch the news, but the cable connection was iffy. Guess I'll just live in blissful ignorance of the world.
  • 9:00 AM: Coffee Crisis. The HoJo coffee is a testament to the phrase "it'll do." I MUST find decent coffee. Headed to Daily Groceries.
    • Strong Emotional Reaction: The coffee here was a revelation! Seriously. I think I almost cried. It was that good. Creamy, rich, and actually tasted like coffee.
  • 10:00 AM: Explored the quirky boutiques and antique stores in downtown Athens. Found a vintage record store. I didn't buy anything, just lingered around nostalgic records.
    • Messy Structure: Wait, I forgot to mention, I saw a dog wearing a tiny hat. Seriously, the hat was smaller than my thumb. No pictures, because I was too busy laughing.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch at Five & Ten. Decent, but the pecan pie mission continues. Still searching.
  • 2:00 PM: Visited The Georgia Museum of Art. Surprisingly good collection. I got lost in a room full of landscapes, the paintings. The colors.
  • 5:00 PM: Deciding. I'm thinking… what to do? More art. More pie seeking. Or… I'm going for music. Athens is known for this.
  • 7:00 PM: Finding a bar - for a drink and live music. Found a hidden gem, a cozy little place called the 40 Watt Club. I'll say… the music, and the vibe… were wonderful.
    • Doubling Down: I spent the entire evening here.
      • I found a stool.
      • I listened to the band.
      • I drank beer.
      • I talked with locals.
      • I had such a good time.
  • 11:00 PM: Back to the HoJo. This is where I fall into an exhausted sleep.

Day 3: Farewell, Athens (and the Pecan Pie)

  • 9:00 AM: Check-out. One last desperate attempt for pecan pie. I had heard whispers of a bakery called "The Cake Boutique."
  • 10:00 AM: The Bakery… was out! They were out?! The Pie! My hope! My dreams!
  • 11:00 AM: Decided to head to the airport.
  • 12:00 AM The flight.
    • Emotional Reaction: I think I'll be back. Athens, you quirky, charming, pie-less enigma, you got me.

So, Athens, you're not perfect. You have your soggy fries, your iffy cable, and your elusive pecan pie. But you also have your coffee, your music, your charm, and a certain je ne sais quoi kind of magic. And for that, I'm thankful. And while I still haven't found the perfect pecan pie, I'm okay with that. The journey, after all, is the dessert. And I'm already planning my next trip. And this time, I'm bringing backup. And more money for pie.

Escape to Jackson, TN: Your Perfect Stay Awaits at Residence Inn!

Book Now

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States```html

Athens, GA Getaway: Howard Johnson Edition! (Yeah, You Heard That Right!)

Okay, spill the tea! What's this "Unbeatable Deal" *actually* entail? Is it a trap?

Alright, alright, settle down, conspiracy theorists! The 'Unbeatable Deal' is basically a stay at the Howard Johnson in Athens, GA. (Yes, *that* Howard Johnson. Remember those orange roofs? Oh man...). It's probably the cheapest option – and let’s be honest, in Athens, especially on a football weekend or even just a decent concert night, cheap is GOLD. And hey, I’ve stayed in *worse*. Way worse. Think roadside motel rooms where the sheets looked like they'd seen a few lifetimes. So, no, it’s not a trap, but you might be trading some luxury for… well, affordability. Think of it as a charmingly retro adventure! (Or, you know, just a place to crash after a night of bad decisions involving way too much SweetWater IPA).

What can I *actually* expect from the Howard Johnson experience? Be honest, now!

Okay, here's the unvarnished truth, straight from someone who's actually *stayed* there:

  • Rooms: They vary. Honestly. Some are… perfectly fine. Others… well, let’s just say they have *character*. Inspect everything. Look under the beds. And don't be shocked if you find a rogue stain or two. (Hey, it's character-building!)
  • Amenities: Free continental breakfast. Don't get your hopes up for a gourmet spread. Think pre-packaged muffins, instant coffee (might be okay with enough sugar), and maybe some sad-looking fruit. But hey, it's *free*! And sometimes they have tiny, single-serving boxes cereal. And that makes me happy.
  • Pool: Yep, there's a pool. Probably chlorine-heavy. Probably worth the risk on a scorching Athens day. You *might* find a stray flip-flop or two abandoned poolside. Embrace the chaos.
  • The Vibe: Think classic motel. Families, college students on a budget, road-trippers. It's a mixed bag, which is kind of fun in its own way. Plus, the lobby sometimes smells pleasantly of… cleaning products. Or maybe it was just the air freshener trying REALLY hard.

What's good about the *location*? Is it actually close to anything fun?

This is where the "unbeatable" part *really* comes into play. The Howard Johnson in Athens? It's pretty darn close to everything! You're a hop, skip, and a jump (or a quick Uber ride) from:

  • Downtown Athens: The beating heart of the city! Bars, restaurants, music venues… the whole shebang. The 40 Watt Club! The Georgia Theatre! Get ready to sweat.
  • The University of Georgia: Tailgating, football games, exploring the campus... You can practically *smell* the Bulldog spirit from the HoJo! (Or maybe that's just the BBQ from the food trucks. Hard to say.)
  • Fun Things to Do: Museums, art galleries, the Botanical Garden... there's more than just partying. (Though, let's be honest, the partying is a major draw.)

Speaking of fun, what should I do in Athens? Give me the highlights!

Okay, okay, buckle up. Athens is a *goldmine* of fun. Here's my (totally biased) list of must-dos:

  • See a Show: The Georgia Theatre is legendary. The 40 Watt is… well, it's a *vibe*. Check out the music scene, discover some new bands, and wear earplugs. Your future self will thank you.
  • Eat Everything: The Last Resort Grill! (Get the shrimp and grits.) Mama's Boy! (Brunch, obviously.) Add some of The Pine and The Hound and you've got a day. Don't forget to try the local breweries, like Creature Comforts and Terrapin. (Stupidly delicious, I tell you!)
  • Explore Downtown: Wander the streets, soak up the atmosphere, pop into quirky shops, and just generally enjoy the Athens weirdness. Trust me, it’s a beautiful thing.
  • Watch a Game: Even if you're not a huge football fan, the energy on a game day is infectious. Just be prepared for crowds, and maybe some questionable fashion choices. (But hey, it adds to the charm!)
  • Go to a Dawgs Game: It's a once in a lifetime experience in college football. (Trust me, even if you don't care, you *will* care).

What if something goes wrong at the Howard Johnson? Like, *really* wrong?

Deep breaths. Okay. Let's be real: Things happen. Maybe the AC conks out. Maybe the TV only shows channels with static. Maybe the complimentary soap is, shall we say, *suspiciously* small.

First, breathe. Then, go to the front desk. Be polite. Maybe start with "Hey! I just checked in! I am so excited for Athens..." They've probably heard it all before, but a little kindness goes a long way. If it’s *major* (like, say, the toilet overflowing), escalate the situation to the manager. Be persistent. And try not to lose your cool. (Easier said than done, I know.)

Look, it’s not the Ritz. But it's also not the end of the world. Embrace the imperfections. It's part of the adventure. (And hey, you're saving money, right? That’s a valuable asset in moments of crisis).

Okay, real talk: Is it *clean*?

This is the perennial question, isn't it? Okay, the short answer is... *generally*. Look, it's a budget-friendly motel, so you're not getting the sterile perfection of a luxury hotel. Do a quick once-over when you arrive. Check the sheets. Look in the corners. If something looks off, report it. Cleanliness standards vary, and what one person considers "acceptable" another might consider "questionable."

Okay, here's a *slightly* embarrassing anecdote. One time, I was staying at a budget motel in another city – and it had the same *vibe* as the HoJo. I dropped a french fry under the bed. Weeks later, I was at the Howard Johnson and I had a *flashback* that I can't unsee. TheWorld Of Lodging

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Athens Athens (GA) United States

Post a Comment for "Athens, GA Getaway: Unbeatable Deal at Howard Johnson by Wyndham!"